Dragon Ball Kai (2009) vs. Dragon Ball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Kai (2009) vs. Dragon Ball Super

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Eh, Goku's been gambling for awhile now. Not stopping Dr. Gero, giving Cell a senzu, relying on Gohan to beat Cell, most of the Buu arc. If Goku was less happy go lucky during those times well I guess story wise there was less time for him to be happy. Either way it's pretty obvious to me that part of Goku's character is that he doesn't think of consequences much.

Sean and Nozawa's portrayals both have positives and negatives, but for Nozawa I still don't see to much of a problem. Unless it's for a gag Goku seems to deliver his lines accordingly depending on the situation.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Bullza wrote:The voice just naturally doesn't right, it's grown on me but Goku constantly sounds like a grandma, a happy grandma too.

In the dub because he's got a more masculine and appropriate voice and they've sort of toned down some of his aloofness it's more fitting. Once I see the dub in full Goku might not seem as different as he does from Kai.

He does have some more serious moments. Mostly in the Future Trunks though.
Does Tanaka's krillin sound like some old lady to you as well?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Does Tanaka's krillin sound like some old lady to you as well?
She's not nearly as bad. Not even close. Besides Krillin is a little girly wimp most of the time anyway so it sorta fits.

I never watched that much subbed anime before but I watched a particular One Piece movie subbed once that had the old woman, Doctor Kureha in it and I could immediately tell that it was the same voice actress for Goku because they sound exactly the same. There's no difference vocally between a grown muscular man in his 40's and a old wrinkly woman in her 140's.

Meanwhile the voice actress for Krillin voices Luffy, a male because she does male voices well. Nozawa does not.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:08 am

Bullza wrote:They have made Goku a little too happy go lucky in Super. He doesn't seem to care about the consequences of things as much.

Maybe some of that is because of the voice acting, I don't know if it carries over to the dub of Super because I haven't watched it yet.
I think the way Nozawa's voicing him is very annoying and making his bad writing even worse but I can say that the dub makes things a lot better with him. He makes him sound a lot more natrual compared to Nozawa.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am

I think mainly it's because since the Buu arc Goku has regressed to somewhat of an adult version of his kid self. The passing of the torch didn't seem to work out, unless they attempt to go past EOZ I guess. So as a result Goku is back to front and center of his main goal of fighting strong guys.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Bullza wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Does Tanaka's krillin sound like some old lady to you as well?
She's not nearly as bad. Not even close. Besides Krillin is a little girly wimp most of the time anyway so it sorta fits.

I never watched that much subbed anime before but I watched a particular One Piece movie subbed once that had the old woman, Doctor Kureha in it and I could immediately tell that it was the same voice actress for Goku because they sound exactly the same. There's no difference vocally between a grown muscular man in his 40's and a old wrinkly woman in her 140's.

Meanwhile the voice actress for Krillin voices Luffy, a male because she does male voices well. Nozawa does not.
I've never heard a male of any age that sounds like the voices Tanaka and Nozawa use for male character, but in Super and Kai her voice has gotten scratchier so It's a bit harder on the ears.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I've never heard a male of any age that sounds like the voices Tanaka and Nozawa use for male character, but in Super and Kai her voice has gotten scratchier so It's a bit harder on the ears.
Well Luffy is an energetic teenage boy and Krillin is a short kinda nervy man. Tanaka's voice sorta fits for them.

Goku though just sounds like a granny, the voice does not suit him at all. He should be voiced by a man.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Bullza wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I've never heard a male of any age that sounds like the voices Tanaka and Nozawa use for male character, but in Super and Kai her voice has gotten scratchier so It's a bit harder on the ears.
Well Luffy is an energetic teenage boy and Krillin is a short kinda nervy man. Tanaka's voice sorta fits for them.

Goku though just sounds like a granny, the voice does not suit him at all. He should be voiced by a man.
I used to think the same way you do, honestly when I was trying to switch over to Japanese one piece I thought Tanaka sounded obviously like a woman but after watching so much of it I became accustomed to it and it didn't sound like a woman. Getting used to Nozawa's goku was a bigger hurdle mainly because of the screams, but after that it was fine. It's fine if you don't like the voice, but compared to other old women voices in anime I don't hear old lady in this voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-Kkh-gNKo, instead I hear youthful, energetic and oddly high pitch not feminine or old same with Luffy.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:46 pm

The voice has grown on me a lot since I watched Super and she gets the personality of the character down fine, she's a good voice actress and does a good job of little Goku and Goten and the younger Gohan but it's always going to be weird.

They should have replaced the voice actor once Goku grew up like they did with the dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Bullza wrote:The voice has grown on me a lot since I watched Super and she gets the personality of the character down fine, she's a good voice actress and does a good job of little Goku and Goten and the younger Gohan but it's always going to be weird.

They should have replaced the voice actor once Goku grew up like they did with the dub.
She deepens her voice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:28 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
I used to think the same way you do, honestly when I was trying to switch over to Japanese one piece I thought Tanaka sounded obviously like a woman but after watching so much of it I became accustomed to it and it didn't sound like a woman. Getting used to Nozawa's goku was a bigger hurdle mainly because of the screams, but after that it was fine. It's fine if you don't like the voice, but compared to other old women voices in anime I don't hear old lady in this voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-Kkh-gNKo, instead I hear youthful, energetic and oddly high pitch not feminine or old same with Luffy.
If you have to get use to something to like it, then it doesn't fit. I like Nozawa as Goku, but it took me about 60 or so episodes into to Super to actually like it.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
If you have to get use to something to like it, then it doesn't fit. I like Nozawa as Goku, but it took me about 60 or so episodes into to Super to actually like it.
What made me fully enjoy Nozawa's performance is going back to watch Dragon Ball in Japanese from the beginning, I got to see her voice grow with Goku and after 130 episodes when goku grew up It only felt natural for her to continue voicing the character. I can see why other's wouldn't like the voice but doing this made me really like her performance. I still like schemmel in the role as well.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Bullza wrote:The voice has grown on me a lot since I watched Super and she gets the personality of the character down fine, she's a good voice actress and does a good job of little Goku and Goten and the younger Gohan but it's always going to be weird.

She deepens her voice.
She does deepen her speaking voice, but she doesn't really deepen her shouting or screaming and I think that's what bothers people the most.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 am

Bullza wrote:

the only reason why you hate on japanese is because a woman is voicing him for sure and goku is a childish character so he needs a voice like that and how about the tyrant of the universe freeza being voiced by a woman in the english version and even sounds like a woman. In Japanese goku is voiced by a woman but that doesnt mean he sounds like one, freeza on the other hand sounds like a woman and his voice is terrible but no one is going to say something about it right? but everyone has to be hating on goku right? and if someone likes the japanese goku they are always called weeaboos atleast as Far as Facebook and YouTube comments goes. Also which granny screams like how goku does ?
DragonBallKing wrote:
ABED wrote:

She deepens her voice.
She does deepen her speaking voice, but she doesn't really deepen her shouting or screaming and I think that's what bothers people the most.
You see its not that easy deepening voice while screaming still she does a great Job in Distinguishing Her Kid and Adult Screams
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 am

Ripper 30 wrote:the only reason why you hate on japanese is because a woman is voicing him for sure and goku is a childish character so he needs a voice like that and how about the tyrant of the universe freeza being voiced by a woman in the english version and even sounds like a woman. In Japanese goku is voiced by a woman but that doesnt mean he sounds like one, freeza on the other hand sounds like a woman and his voice is terrible but no one is going to say something about it right? but everyone has to be hating on goku right? and if someone likes the japanese goku they are always called weeaboos atleast as Far as Facebook and YouTube comments goes. Also which granny screams like how goku does ?
Yeah but they did at least replace Frieza's dub actor. They never changed Goku's. Plus Frieza was an a weird looking alien with lipstick anyway so it wasn't so bad.

He definitely does like an old woman. If even I could spot the same voice actress from doing her doing the old woman in One Piece then there's definitely a resemblance. Whenever Goku is talking to Vegeta, one is clearly a grown man and one is clearly an old woman.

She's not a bad voice actor at all, she's very good, but her voicing a grown man will always be weird to many people.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Bullza wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:the only reason why you hate on japanese is because a woman is voicing him for sure and goku is a childish character so he needs a voice like that and how about the tyrant of the universe freeza being voiced by a woman in the english version and even sounds like a woman. In Japanese goku is voiced by a woman but that doesnt mean he sounds like one, freeza on the other hand sounds like a woman and his voice is terrible but no one is going to say something about it right? but everyone has to be hating on goku right? and if someone likes the japanese goku they are always called weeaboos atleast as Far as Facebook and YouTube comments goes. Also which granny screams like how goku does ?
Yeah but they did at least replace Frieza's dub actor. They never changed Goku's. Plus Frieza was an a weird looking alien with lipstick anyway so it wasn't so bad. He definitely does like an old woman. If even I could spot the same voice actress from doing her doing the old woman in One Piece then there's definitely a resemblance. Whenever Goku is talking to Vegeta, one is clearly a grown man and one is clearly an old woman.

She's not a bad voice actor at all, she's very good, but her voicing a grown man will always be weird to many people.
Why should they even change the Goku Seiyuu when she is perfect with the role, goku is a hick manchild farmer and that's exactly what his Japanese voice captures, it maybe annoying but it captures the battle savvy nature flawlessly.
Also, just because he has a type of lipstick that means he can sound like a Chainsmoker Granny cracking unfunny cringy puns? That's not Freeza at all, if you have watched the Japanese version you will clearly see Freeza is not that kind of Character, he's an Emperor just take example of another anime like Naruto where Oorochimaaru may have some Feminine features but that doesn't mean Viz Should give him a cringy granny voice in dub that's totally ignorant to cast a voice just based on Appearance of the Character.
And as far as Japanese voice of goku is concerned, just because Goku looks manly doesn't mean he should sound like a macho man because he's not at all Manly, he may do manly things but overall he's a Goofy hick who likes Fighting Strong guys. And where do you hear a granny voice here
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Yeah but they did at least replace Frieza's dub actor. They never changed Goku's. Plus Frieza was an a weird looking alien with lipstick anyway so it wasn't so bad. He definitely does like an old woman. If even I could spot the same voice actress from doing her doing the old woman in One Piece then there's definitely a resemblance. Whenever Goku is talking to Vegeta, one is clearly a grown man and one is clearly an old woman.

Why should they even change the Goku Seiyuu when she is perfect with the role, goku is a hick manchild farmer and that's exactly what his Japanese voice captures, it maybe annoying but it captures the battle savvy nature flawlessly.
Also, just because he has a type of lipstick that means he can sound like a Chainsmoker Granny cracking unfunny cringy puns? That's not Freeza at all, if you have watched the Japanese version you will clearly see Freeza is not that kind of Character, he's an Emperor just take example of another anime like Naruto where Oorochimaaru may have some Feminine features but that doesn't mean Viz Should give him a cringy granny voice in dub that's totally ignorant to cast a voice just based on Appearance of the Character.
And as far as Japanese voice of goku is concerned, just because Goku looks manly doesn't mean he should sound like a macho man because he's not at all Manly, he may do manly things but overall he's a Goofy hick who likes Fighting Strong guys. And where do you hear a granny voice here
I think they want Nozawa to be replaced because she's like in her eighties now.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Whose "they" if you mean Japan they love Nozawa and couldn't see anyone else as the character until she passes away, most funi dub fans disliked her voice even in original Z when she was in her 50's they never liked her voice for adult Goku.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Why should they even change the Goku Seiyuu when she is perfect with the role, goku is a hick manchild farmer and that's exactly what his Japanese voice captures, it maybe annoying but it captures the battle savvy nature flawlessly.
Whose "they" if you mean Japan they love Nozawa and couldn't see anyone else as the character until she passes away, most funi dub fans disliked her voice even in original Z when she was in her 50's they never liked her voice for adult Goku.
The people who prefer the Funimation dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I think they want Nozawa to be replaced because she's like in her eighties now.
The people who prefer the Funimation dub.
If it was up to those people she never would have voiced adult Goku in the first place. She's still going strong at 80 years old but If her health becomes bad I wouldn't mind if they recast Gohan and Goten to give her more rest.