Dragon Ball Kai (2009) vs. Dragon Ball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Kai (2009) vs. Dragon Ball Super

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I think they want Nozawa to be replaced because she's like in her eighties now.
Whose "they" if you mean Japan they love Nozawa and couldn't see anyone else as the character until she passes away, most funi dub fans disliked her voice even in original Z when she was in her 50's they never liked her voice for adult Goku.
The people who prefer the Funimation dub.
These are the same people who say "DBZ is the only show I prefer in dub because dub is far superior" and these fans never liked Nozawa even in Z or GT and just think that goku voice casting is horrible in Japanese because it's a Woman.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:44 pm

I don't know if this counts for this thread but what happened to Sabat? He sounds noticeably growlier in Super then he is in Kai?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't know if this counts for this thread but what happened to Sabat? He sounds noticeably growlier in Super then he is in Kai?
Yes it's pretty clear that his voice in Super Dub is more like how his Voice was in Z Dub which is more gruff and rougher but that maybe because his voice may have changed now and also, Kai was dubbed like an year ago but because of TOEI licensing issues Kai took so long to air on TV.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:59 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Whose "they" if you mean Japan they love Nozawa and couldn't see anyone else as the character until she passes away, most funi dub fans disliked her voice even in original Z when she was in her 50's they never liked her voice for adult Goku.
The people who prefer the Funimation dub.
These are the same people who say "DBZ is the only show I prefer in dub because dub is far superior" and these fans never liked Nozawa even in Z or GT and just think that goku voice casting is horrible in Japanese because it's a Woman.
I cannot, of course, speak for anybody about myself but the "because it's a woman" argument is deeply flawed when it comes to young male characters in animation, especially considering it is a <i>very</i> common practice. However, whether male or female, not all voices are going to be universally loved and they will undoubtedly be like nails on a chalkboard to some. In regards to Nozawa, I don't really have a problem with the normal speaking voice she gives to Goku in DBZ but when it gets to the screaming and trying to sound "intense" it is that nails on a chalkboard comparison. I would also say the same for early Sabat power up screams for Vegeta, which sounded more like a Tasmanian Devil impression than anything, which likewise would force me to mute the TV.

But back to the "because it's a woman" argument, there are many animated voices for male characters which have been voiced by women, like Bart Simpson (not to mention Martin Prince and Uter) as well as Bobby Hill, Jimmy Neutron and even animated versions of the Little Rascals. More often than not, young boys in anime will be voiced by women, even if they have sometimes gone by male pseudonyms for whatever reason. In cases such as anime like Pokemon, where the character has basically remained the same age for decades (like The Simpsons), having a woman voice the role makes the most sense as women tend to maintain such a vocal range much easier than a male actor. Unless the performance is terrible, which can be as subjective as whether or not a voice is considered pleasant sounding or not, I doubt people would have issues with the voices on the basis that they were performed by women.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:But back to the "because it's a woman" argument, there are many animated voices for male characters which have been voiced by women, like Bart Simpson (not to mention Martin Prince and Uter) as well as Bobby Hill, Jimmy Neutron and even animated versions of the Little Rascals. More often than not, young boys in anime will be voiced by women, even if they have sometimes gone by male pseudonyms for whatever reason. In cases such as anime like Pokemon, where the character has basically remained the same age for decades (like The Simpsons), having a woman voice the role makes the most sense as women tend to maintain such a vocal range much easier than a male actor. Unless the performance is terrible, which can be as subjective as whether or not a voice is considered pleasant sounding or not, I doubt people would have issues with the voices on the basis that they were performed by women.
This is a very interesting point. I also think there's two layers to the analysis. People aren't just discriminating because of gender, but also because it's gender in another language. A Japanese woman sounds very different than an English speaking woman, and it might be easier for English speakers to accept Bart Simpson because the additional language barrier isn't there over Nozawa's Son Goku. However, both gender and linguistic differences are things people can become adjusted to and enjoy over time. Often, I think, the knee-jerk reactions for newer fans are what you read a lot of on YouTube, for example, but they don't represent the Dragonball fanbase as a whole.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:37 pm

I think thread went a bit too off track.

It was supposed to be peoples opinions on which was better between Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Super.

It's kind of hard to compare though I suppose seeing as one is a new experience and the other isn't. Kai definitely had the better story though.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 am

Bullza wrote:I think thread went a bit too off track.

It was supposed to be peoples opinions on which was better between Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Super.

It's kind of hard to compare though I suppose seeing as one is a new experience and the other isn't. Kai definitely had the better story though.
Because some people claimed that Goku's Voice in Super portrayed him more dumber than he actually was.