Your Perfect Dragon Ball Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Re: Your Perfect Dragon Ball Release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Mine too is 21mn in audacity sure it is file corruption

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:You're right that the highest standard is probably 8K, and I'd like to add at this point that 8K is probably about as high as 16mm will go. You can scan it at whatever resolution you like, but once you go past 8K, you're not really gaining any more useful picture information, and even going beyond 1080p is difficult.
Just thought I'd put that out there for anyone interested.
You're right, anything past 8K wouldn't reveal any more useful picture information, however I'd still do it anyway just for future compatibility reasons and so I'd have something ready for when 8K eventually becomes the standard in the future (it's still probably a few years off but it will become the standard sooner or later so why not be smart and have some titles ready to offer out of the starting gate, at least that's how I see it).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:44 am

I'd wish they at the very least did this to the movies. Should much simpler than an entire show.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Well, there are 19 of them.
It's a lot easier to get it right, as they're all on 35mm negatives with their proper, high-quality master audio still in existence(Some were even mixed in stereo at some point), but that is still 19 movies.

Having said that though, I think getting the movies in HD is probably more likely than any of the series, since they were designed with cinema viewing in mind, so the animation holds up in HD a lot better, and as I say, they kept the 35mm negatives around, so in theory it might work.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, there are 19 of them.
It's a lot easier to get it right, as they're all on 35mm negatives with their proper, high-quality master audio still in existence(Some were even mixed in stereo at some point), but that is still 19 movies.

Having said that though, I think getting the movies in HD is probably more likely than any of the series, since they were designed with cinema viewing in mind, so the animation holds up in HD a lot better, and as I say, they kept the 35mm negatives around, so in theory it might work.
Funimation managed to do it, and if it wasn't for their horrible colors I think we could of had a near perfect release for the movies.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 am

Bruma rabu wrote:Funimation managed to do it, and if it wasn't for their horrible colors I think we could of had a near perfect release for the movies.
Eh, Funimation's weren't that good, to be honest. Their grain filtering was still too aggressive, the colours were screwed up, they used the poor-quality versions of the Japanese audio, and of course, their source material is third generation 35mm prints, which accentuates the grain(Part of why the filtering is still terrible on the movies), and blurs the picture a little.

Looks a lot better than their BDs of the series,* but that's not saying much.

*The films are on 35mm, so there's less grain, more resolution, and thus the filtering doesn't screw things up as much, that's the only real difference

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 am

Robo4900 wrote:Eh, Funimation's weren't that good, to be honest. Their grain filtering was still too aggressive, the colours were screwed up, they used the poor-quality versions of the Japanese audio, and of course, their source material is third generation 35mm prints, which accentuates the grain(Part of why the filtering is still terrible on the movies), and blurs the picture a little.

Looks a lot better than their BDs of the series,* but that's not saying much.

*The films are on 35mm, so there's less grain, more resolution, and thus the filtering doesn't screw things up as much, that's the only real difference

I didn't know that, I was just going from what I saw so the colors were the ones that pop out to me they looked terrible.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Adding to my original post, it would be great if they included the tiny bits of extra footage on the sides of the film that was never used, to get the Full frame of the footage.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:13 am

For my spare no expense release:
- The Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z TV series with a proper 1080p remastering, 4:3 aspect ratio, Japanese broadcast audio, options for text and textless opening and ending themes, and the Japanese next episode previews.
- All four Dragon Ball films and fifteen Dragon Ball Z films with a proper 1080p remastering, options for 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ration, and options for text and textless opening and ending themes.
- The two TV specials with a proper 1080p remastering, 4:3 aspect ration, Japanese broadcast audio, options for text and textless opening and ending themes, and the Japanese next episode previews. Both specials to be placed in the order that they were broadcasted in (A Final, Solitary Battlebetween DBZ ep 63 and DBZ ep 64, and Defiance in the Face of Despair!! between DBZ ep 175 and DBZ ep 176).
- An all new, accurate english dub for all of the above, with most of the modern Funimation cast (recasts for Kaio-sama (Doc Morgan/Brice Armstrong), fat Majin Boo (unknown), young Son Goku (unknown), and others). Subtitles for Japanese dub by Steve Simmons.
- A Dragon Ball Kai style "director's cut" viewing option for both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, with filler removed and improved pacing.

For my Frankenstein release:
- Dragon Box release for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and the films and TV specials, with Japanese broadcast audio, English subtitles by Steve Simmons, and no dub.
- Shortened "Kai" style viewing option with Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Kai.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

EZsensei

Post by EZsensei » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 am

1080p bluray dragon boxes for db, dbz ,dbgt, specials and movies with color correction, stability (no shaking), including if possible: broadcast audio, eng + jap music (edited with insert songs), eng + eng music, new accurate version of the dub for the whole series, subtitles and dubtitles.
Everything done properly! XD
(Oh, and it includes tons of extras this time)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:35 am

New direct film scans in as high resolution possible of all the series with proper remastering and color correction done. With Japanese broadcast audio of all the series. Extras could be interviews, commercials, documentaries. A collection of worldwide dubs synced would be sweet, but I reckon that'd be asking too much.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 am

Here's the thing about the idea of a "Perfect" Dragon Ball release; unless Ocean come in and do a proper, accurate redub of the entire run of DB, Z, and GT, there will never be a perfect release for me.

If we just use material that's already known to exist, although perhaps not in a way that's feasible to use at this time, my ideal release is: A full HD transfer of Toei's negatives for DB, Z, and GT, presented in 4:3 1080p with Level-style remastering, but Kai-style colours, with the broadcast audio for DB and Z, the master audio for GT, Funimation's newer "Frankendub" of Z for the Japanese music + dub audio, but their original audio as heard on the original DVD singles and the original Toonami airings and such of Z for the Faulconer music + dub audio, and some branching to allow the original Ocean dub of DB 1-13, and Z episodes 1-67/1-53, aswell as Funimation's original presentation of "Episode 54" onwards as seen on either the original DVD singles, or Toonami.
Ideally, the branching would also present DBZ in its Kai form, with audio for Funimation and Ocean's Kai dubs in addition to the Japanese original, but it would use the visuals from this new remaster for the episode content.
The branching would also allow the Westwood Z and Blue Water DB dubs to be seen for all the episodes they were for. Since Blue Water GT was uncut anyway, that would just be an alternate audio option for GT.

If we're allowed to go even further into fantasy, and have new material put together: A new uncut dub by the Ocean crew of the entirety of DB, Z, and GT, plus the three TV specials.

In truth, perfection is impossible to ever truly achieve, and even this fantasy of mine here which is a lot closer than any previous release, would never be done. But, in truth, there's no reason Funimation can't do a new release using the Dragon Box footage, the Z broadcast audio, the GT master audio, and their original dub audio for Z 68-291. It'd take a lot of red tape, and due to the market saturation, it probably couldn't happen for a few years, but in the end, I think the furthest Funimation will go is simply putting Dragon Box Z footage on FunimationNow.