Is Freeza the Most Iconic Anime Villain?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Is Freeza the Most Iconic Anime Villain?

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 am

After being a Fan of Dragon Ball for so many years and how so many People liked Freeza as a Villain and many Anime Villains are similar to him too in terms of Personality or goal so I really think he is the most iconic Villain, what are your thoughts on it ?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is Freeza the Most Iconic Anime Villain?

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:50 am

If we're talking pure villain, then sure. If not, then Vegeta.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:06 pm

No, Team Rocket is
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:17 pm

In Dragon Ball? I would say yes. A huge part of the reason why Toriyama and staff keep bringing him back is because of his popularity and iconic status.

In all of anime though? I don't know. He's definitely memorable. That's for sure. But, so are a lot of other villains. Unless, there's a poll or something there can't be a sure answer to this.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 pm

There's no way to tell. He's certainly Dragon Ball's most memorable villain in some parts of the anime and manga community, outside of the Dragon Ball fandom, to varying degrees.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm

This is a hard question to answer. I don't know if he's the most iconic in anime, but he's definitely the most iconic Dragon Ball villain.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Internationally?...I don't know. Saint Seiya was/is(?) popular in Mexico and many countries in South America, but I know next to nothing about that series and couldn't even name who the villains are or if they had staying power.

If we're talking about the U.S. exclusively....I might have to echo the earlier comment about Team Rocket; more people watched Pokémon than they did Dragon Ball back then, I think. Sailor Moon had such an ever-rotating door of villains that I don't think any of them were around long enough to stick the way Team Rocket or Freeza did.

If we're talking about Japan exclusively, I think he'd probably tie with whoever the bad guy in Anpanman is (who I think is also voiced by Ryusei Nakao) and maybe Dio Brando from JJBA. Does Doraemon have a reoccurring villain? I don't think it does, but if so, probably them too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:46 pm

It's Team Rocket.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:49 pm

I know Pokémon is more popular than DB, but does that mean the villains are more iconic?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:04 pm

I don't follow the pokémon anime, but hasn't Team Rocket never really gone away? Like weren't they in every single iteration of the tv series? That's more staying power than Freeza who actually managed to be gone for a while.

I'd need someone with more pokémon tv series knowledge than I have to answer that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:13 pm

He's definitely the most iconic villain the series, and since DB is one of the more popular anime series in the US, I could buy into the idea he's the most iconic anime villain in the US.

But in Japan? I honestly don't know. From my understanding series like One Piece are leagues ahead in popularity, so it might be a villain from that series for example.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:20 pm

I find that out of people who never really followed dragonball much in the UK, people always seem to know who Majin Buu was. That's what I seem to find as a fan over here in the UK.

I seemed to recall seeing the cell saga on a lot on toonami, then moving on to the Majin Buu stuff (when I truly got into the show). I feel that people knew who Buu was more so due to the sheer number of fights he had. I don't think I ever watched the Saiyan/Namek/Frieza stuff on toonami as a kid.

I also have no basis to this claim, but I feel that a stretchy pink blob is just more easy to recall for the casual viewer than the minimalistic final form Frieza.

To the clued in fan though, obviously Frieza is more iconic.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:If we're talking about Japan exclusively, I think he'd probably tie with whoever the bad guy in Anpanman is (who I think is also voiced by Ryusei Nakao) and maybe Dio Brando from JJBA.
Baikinman? Definitely, he's been iconic for around 50 years now.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:17 pm

In the west, it's kinda hard to tell as there isn't really anime villain as prolific and well known with the general public as say The Joker or Lex Luthor. But I would agree with Freeza being the closest thing to that...

As far as Japan...I have no idea. Isn't Raoh a big deal over there? I think I read somewhere that the evil chick from Yatterman was extremely popular.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I'd say it was either Frieza or Team Rocket if it were just matter of being well known.

But Team Rocket were some of the worst anime characters of all time who made Pokemon a garbage and repetitive show. So you'd have to give the edge to Frieza.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Team Rocket were the first name that popped into my head upon reading the title. Gotta give it to them.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 am

I agree that it's either Team Rocket or Freeza.
Chuquita wrote:Internationally?...I don't know. Saint Seiya was/is(?) popular in Mexico and many countries in South America, but I know next to nothing about that series and couldn't even name who the villains are or if they had staying power.
It's not as popular as DB IMO (pretty close though). Even if it were, the most popular villains in that series ended up being good guys later (think like Vegeta or Piccolo) so I don't think they would count.
Kid Buu wrote: But in Japan? I honestly don't know. From my understanding series like One Piece are leagues ahead in popularity, so it might be a villain from that series for example.
One Piece is really popular but I don't think any of the popular villains from that series (Doflamingo, Crocodile, Rob Lucci, Enel) is as iconic as Freeza. Maybe Blackbeard or Akainu (who seem like the 2 most likely final villains) will get there eventually, but so far they haven't done much.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 am

Team rocket as the most well known gag villains while Freeza the most well known serious villain.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 am

Frieza is definitely the most iconic villain the series. No one is even close to him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 am

Shinda Forever wrote:Frieza is definitely the most iconic villain the series. No one is even close to him.
Vegeta. Yeah he became a hero, but he started as a villain, so he counts.