So what got Toriyama into the series again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

So what got Toriyama into the series again?

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm

From what I recall, it was him thinking that Evolution was literally SO bad, that he decided things couldn't end that way. But I don't have the sources to back that up, and don't know precisely where to look on the website itself. Does anyone recall where I can find the info I'm looking for?

Thank you so much; and God bless you :) .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

emperior
I Live Here

Re: So what got Toriyama into the series again?

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Evolution was shit and its producer didn't listen to Toriyama's suggestion. When Toei approached Toriyama for their new DBZ animated movie project, he rewrote all of it borrowing some ideas such as the God of Destruction and Super Saiyan God. He made the movie very open-ended so later Toei approached him for another movie and so he wrote RoF, then it seems like not too long before RoF released Toei were able to convince Toriyama to provide stories for a new show and that's how Super was born.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm

The first thing that got Toriyama to give the entire series a re-read and get a new perspective on his world and characters was in the process of developing the new cover artwork for the kanzenban release in 2002-2004:
Akira Toriyama wrote:I haven’t redrawn any of the actual manga, because then I’d start getting nit-picky about everything. Just new cover art. To draw it again for the first time in so long produced a very complicated mix of emotions, combining nostalgia with the feeling that I don’t want to draw Dragon Ball any more.
His feelings and opinions really softened in the (even immediate) years following that.

What you're referencing re: Evolution comes from two sources: the Battle of Gods theatrical program...
Akira Toriyama wrote:While I had expected, “It probably won’t be any good,” it was greatly different from a certain country’s live-action movie, which really was no good. Just as you’d expect, Japan’s animation is superb! Everyone on the staff, you really did a great job!!
... and an interview with Asahi Shimbun Digital:
Akira Toriyama wrote:Also, at the time of the Hollywood movie, the live-action Dragon Ball, the script had too little of a grasp on the world and its characteristics, and on top of that, it had a conventional content that I couldn’t find interesting, so I cautioned them, and suggested changes; but in spite of that, they seemed to have a strange confidence, and didn’t really listen to me. What came out in the end was a movie I couldn’t really call a Dragon Ball that lived up to my expectations.

That being the case, there were parts where I wanted to show some spine, with a world and story only the creator could draw.
That all ties in with everything else Toriyama has said with regard to Battle of Gods, all of which we have documented on the respective "Movie Guide" page on our website.

The most recent example of authorial control and ownership comes from the "Super History Book" introduction, released in 2016:
Akira Toriyama wrote:I had put Dragon Ball behind me, but seeing how much that live-action film ticked me off, and how I revised that script for the anime movie and complained about the quality of the TV anime, I suppose somewhere along the line it’s become a series I like too much to ever leave alone.
I believe that hits all the major points!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 pm

It makes me feel good that Toriyama went from being so done with Dragon Ball, to coming to terms with it and finally warming back up to the franchise that he created.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 am

Fat stacks of cash, baby