[Closed] Submit Your Questions for Masaki Sato

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

[Closed] Submit Your Questions for Masaki Sato

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Hello, all. This is very exciting project for all of us, because I'm going to have an interview with the long time Chief Assistant Supervisor, Masaki Sato, who worked closely with Minoru Maeda for the majority run of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. For those who are unfamiliar with his work, please check out Kanzenshuu's Animation Guide.

For him to actually even accept an interview with a Dragon Ball fan, of which is not even a part of any big corporation or in any of the official capacities, is a really huge honor. I cannot emphasis enough of how incredibly courteous it is for him to do that, let alone even accept to an unknown fan. So, naturally I'm going to take this as seriously as possible in order for both of him and us to have an pleasant experience. With that said, this thread is open for any questions you'd like for me to submit to him. Please, however, take this a few moments to consider your question before you hit it, as the interview not from any official capacity does not come by often and I was lucky to even be accepted after he gave an interview to a Spanish fan last year. I will be observing the questions and take a handful of them if deemed appropriate and submit them to him. Once I have done that, I will declare the thread closed until further notice.

So then, please fire away your questions! :)
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Submit Your Questions for Masaki Sato

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow, that's really awesome !

Well, I have a couple of questions: how was to work with Minoru Maeda how influential he was to him, and how was for him to leave Dragon Ball and became the character design of Slam Dunk.

Congrats to you for this amazing upcoming interview !

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Here's the previous interview he did for a Spanish magazine, he already went into his experience with Maeda a bit:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38155&p=1282670#p1282670

I'd like to know what his opinion is on the modern, digital methods used in the animation process nowadays, and what advantages/disadvantages it has in comparison to the more traditional methods he was accustomed to?

How did you get in contact with him by the way? Twitter?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Here's the previous interview he did for a Spanish magazine, he already went into his experience with Maeda a bit:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38155&p=1282670#p1282670

I'd like to know what his opinion is on the modern, digital methods used in the animation process nowadays, and what advantages/disadvantages it has in comparison to the more traditional methods he was accustomed to?

How did you get in contact with him by the way? Twitter?
That interview was emphasizing more on his personal life/feeling rather than his own work. Mine is more in line of his work as an animator. Yes, I got in touch with him through Twitter.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Who or what influenced him as an animator and artist ?

When is he coming back to Dragon Ball?

What is most cherished memory working as a animator?

Questions for him of course.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:02 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:When is he coming back to Dragon Ball?
Why is the "when" there? There's no reason to assume he's ever coming back, so the question should be if he's coming back (which I'm guessing is no, unfortunately).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:47 am

• In which animation company he felt more comfortable working? Which productions were the most enjoyable for him?
• How Dragon Ball changed his life as an animator? And as an person?
• How does he feel about Dragon Ball, that once was new and quite unknown when he started working on the production, becoming one of the greatest japanese productions ever? Did he imagined that his work would be so well received and still praised among fans?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 am

When he first worked on DB, did he think it would become the hit it turned out to be ?

What were his thoughts on the story's development from a small comedy story to a full on fighting one ?

Was he happy with the way it ended or would he have done something different or end it earlier ?

Does he think it should've been left alone after the manga wrapped up or is he happy with it going on beyond it ?

What are his thought on the animation industry today ? does he like Cel animation or digital better ?

Was it hard for him to animate Toriyama's drawings ?

What would he have done differently if the manga was never animated and he was put in charge of its anime adamption today with the manga completed ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 am

Of the Dragon Ball episodes you helped animate, which is your favorite?

Could you draw one of Toriyama-sensei's newer characters like Beerus or Whis in your more classic art style?

What do you think of the current art style of Dragon Ball Super?

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:42 am

Do you have a particular fondness for Dragon Ball and its style over other similar series you've worked on?
If so, what do you think makes Dragon Ball and its aesthetics stand out and resonate so strongly with so many fans?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 am

Thank you for the questions. The thread is now closed, since it has served its purpose. Please do not submit any more questions, because I won't be taking them. :)