You think Toriyama has a thing for feisty, obnoxious females?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: You think Toriyama has a thing for feisty, obnoxious females?

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 am

ABED wrote:Fair enough, but it was fun seeing their relationship develop. Starting off slightly antagonistic gave Toriyama some place to go with them.
Oh yeah no doubt about it, i love that little arc.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
I didn't say that she has a similar personality to them but that she has a strong one like them.
It's a strong personality, but it's not like them. That's what I'm saying. Saying she has a strong personality like them, is implying that they're similar. But really, 18 couldn't be any more different. Either that, or the notion of a "strong" personality is very broad. In which case, you can classify anyone as having either a strong personality or a weak one. Which would explain why Akira Toriyama's women characters seem to only have those two types of personalities. Because those are the only two personalities to be had, broadly speaking.
You don't consider getting into Gohans business obnoxious?
That's her actions, which can be seen as obnoxious, which also had specific reasons behind it. I'm mainly talking about her personality, which isn't obnoxious by default the same way Chi-Chi and Bulma are. Chi-Chi and Bulma are generally obnoxious, tend to lose composure, and throw tantrums, in general. Videl doesn't. Whether Videl was right or wrong for poking into Gohan's life, isn't the point. It was a specific motivation for a specific plot element. Her annoyance to him wasn't a general personality trait of hers like the way it is with Chi-Chi and Bulma.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:That's her actions, which can be seen as obnoxious, which also had specific reasons behind it. I'm mainly talking about her personality, which isn't obnoxious by default the same way Chi-Chi and Bulma are. Chi-Chi and Bulma are generally obnoxious, tend to lose composure, and throw tantrums, in general. Videl doesn't. Whether Videl was right or wrong for poking into Gohan's life, isn't the point. It was a specific motivation for a specific plot element. Her annoyance to him wasn't a general personality trait of hers like the way it is with Chi-Chi and Bulma.
Her actions are a part of what makes up her personality. Throwing tantrums and losing your composure arent the only way to be obnoxious.
Snooping in his life is a point, it shows what kind of person she is. It being a plot element doesn't change the fact that she thought it was okay to invade his privacy. Hell she even blackmailed him! Her actions showed she didn't mind doing these things, exposing her character. She was feisty, she was obnoxious. She stopped being that way after she got to know Gohan better, he changed her.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Bruma rabu wrote: Her actions are a part of what makes up her personality...... It being a plot element doesn't change the fact that she thought it was okay to invade his privacy.
Not necessarily, unless they do it all the time.

Nothing she did indicated that it's a general personality trait of hers. As far as we know, this is a one-off thing with her as this is the only time we see her being obnoxious, and to one person at that. Just because someone has obnoxious moments in their life, doesn't mean they're generally obnoxious all the time. Videl was obnoxious one time, and to one person for a specific reason. Bulma and Chi-Chi are obnoxious almost all the time, and to just about everyone they know.

If Videl regularly snooped into people's lives and recurringly blackmailed people, then we could say that she generally has an obnoxious personality. I'm willing to bet she's only done this to Gohan because of the specific reasons and circumstances that motivated it.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: Her actions are a part of what makes up her personality...... It being a plot element doesn't change the fact that she thought it was okay to invade his privacy.
Not necessarily, unless they do it all the time.

Nothing she did indicated that it's a general personality trait of hers. As far as we know, this is a one-off thing with her as this is the only time we see her being obnoxious, and to one person at that. Just because someone has obnoxious moments in their life, doesn't mean they're generally obnoxious all the time. Videl was obnoxious one time, and to one person for a specific reason. Bulma and Chi-Chi are obnoxious almost all the time, and to just about everyone they know.

If Videl regularly snooped into people's lives and recurringly blackmailed people, then we could say that she generally has an obnoxious personality. I'm willing to bet she's only done this to Gohan because of the specific reasons and circumstances that motivated it.
She doesn't need to have stalked 5-10 other people for her to be obnoxious. One time is enough, she stalked and blackmailed him.
And thats not the only thing, she doesn't respect nobody else but her father. Now before anybody says that Satan has everybody fooled, that still doesn't exempt her from that. That lack of respect is what made her think that what she did was ok.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:35 am

She doesn't need to have stalked 5-10 other people for her to be obnoxious. One time is enough, she stalked and blackmailed him.
She didn't stalk him. She was a deputy following her gut. She found Gohan suspicious. Gohan acting as a superhero isn't private, so she wasn't poking into his private life. And that "blackmail" threat was more playful than a genuine threat. I don't think she would've told anyone had push came to shove.

The only thing about her I found a tad obnoxious is how angry she seemed to be when we first meet her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 am

ABED wrote:
She didn't stalk him. She was a deputy following her gut. She found Gohan suspicious. Gohan acting as a superhero isn't private, so she wasn't poking into his private life. And that "blackmail" threat was more playful than a genuine threat. I don't think she would've told anyone had push came to shove.

The only thing about her I found a tad obnoxious is how angry she seemed to be when we first meet her.
Him being a super hero might not be but identity is. I also don't think she would of told anybody but Gohan did. She found him suspicious and stalked him, followed him around while trying not to get caught by him, pestering him for his identity, getting the location to his house with out his knowledge and going there(the teacher even said he shouldn't be giving out that information), staring at him making him unconformable, dig up his family history. I mean it sounds like stalking to me but i guess you'd call that something else? I don't think it was hardcore stalking but it was stalking.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 am

Him being a super hero might not be but identity is. I also don't think she would of told anybody but Gohan did. She found him suspicious and stalked him, followed him around while trying not to get caught by him, pestering him for his identity, getting the location to his house with out his knowledge and going there(the teacher even said he shouldn't be giving out that information), staring at him making him unconformable, dig up his family history. I mean it sounds like stalking to me but i guess you'd call that something else? I don't think it was hardcore stalking but it was stalking.
Didn't Gohan freely tell everyone he was from Mt. Paoz? Gohan's family history was a matter of public record. Anyone could easily research and discover Goku was the last Budokai winner before her father. None of that is stalking. It's not her tracking an unhealthy crush. She hears about the Golden Haired Warrior who wears her school logo, hears some things about Gohan, and starts to connect the dots. She works with the police in an official capacity, so it's not stalking. She's following a lead.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 am

ABED wrote:Didn't Gohan freely tell everyone he was from Mt. Paoz? Gohan's family history was a matter of public record. Anyone could easily research and discover Goku was the last Budokai winner before her father. None of that is stalking. It's not her tracking an unhealthy crush. She hears about the Golden Haired Warrior who wears her school logo, hears some things about Gohan, and starts to connect the dots. She works with the police in an official capacity, so it's not stalking. She's following a lead.
She took it personal, and it's not like the police were even interested in his identity and if they were she never told them and reported who he was. So she stalked him on a official level and abused her power as a deputy. Sounds even worse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 am

You are taking it way too seriously. It's a story and not remotely a realistic world. The real world rules of conduct need not apply.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am

ABED wrote:You are taking it way too seriously. It's a story and not remotely a realistic world. The real world rules of conduct need not apply.
:lol: I wasn't trying too but you guys pushed me to this. Remember all i said was that she got in his business and that made her obnoxious.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 am

It doesn't bother me in the same way Lloyd Dobler holding a boom box outside his ex's house blaring "In Your Eyes" doesn't bother me even though that would be creepy in real life.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 am

ABED wrote:It doesn't bother me in the same way Lloyd Dobler holding a boom box outside his ex's house blaring "In Your Eyes" doesn't bother me even though that would be creepy in real life.
Same, in fact i found it kinda cute.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am

Bullza wrote:I actually thought Videl was good back in Dragon Ball Z. They completely ruined her character altogether, now she's just the cutesy mom character who doesn't resemble how she was back then at all.

They could be two completely different characters. I thought Videl was one of the better female characters in the show before they ruined her.
Absolutely. There's such a contrast to Videl's character between Z and Super it feels like it's a different person altogether. She's such a background character now that I hardly notice her anymore.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 am

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bullza wrote:I actually thought Videl was good back in Dragon Ball Z. They completely ruined her character altogether, now she's just the cutesy mom character who doesn't resemble how she was back then at all.

They could be two completely different characters. I thought Videl was one of the better female characters in the show before they ruined her.
What is astonishing to me was Videl was ruined halfway through the Buu arc when she became fodder with the rest of the non-important Z folks. It was the moment she stopped following the rest with Supreme Kai and went back to the tournament she basically became another background character. Disappointing indeed.
But she was always fodder and never actually stood a chance. Her, having just learned to fly and a much lower power level when compared to the others makes sense. She was stronger than 99.99% of the earthlings but was never actually Z warrior tier in strength. At most I'm thinking she got to Raditz level strength and that's generous considering... if she was keeping pace with everyone else it would have been horrible power scaling and completely unbelievable. They still made her relevant and feisty without her having to be in the middle of the battle and she certainly proved her worth in the tournament.
I don't even think she reached Raditz level strength. You're telling me she was stronger than King Piccolo or Piccolo Jr and Goku when they fought in the tournament? I don't think so.

I would even say that Mercenary Tao would beat her in a fight with his experience and sneaky ways. Baba's fighter's would even give her a run for her money, so would Nam or even Yajirobe, who once slayed one of King Piccolo's sons.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Yes he does.

Just like every other damn manga writer does.

Sorry, but I just cant stand the way most manga writers write these kinds of female characters. They all just bug the crap out of me. I never found them funny or likable or charming in any way.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 pm

I think that's a stereotype of women in Shonen manga but hey, not every woman is like that. Quite possibly Toriyama-sensei does have a thing for annoying women and who knows, maybe that's the kind of woman he's married to.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I think that's a stereotype of women in Shonen manga but hey, not every woman is like that. Quite possibly Toriyama-sensei does have a thing for annoying women and who knows, maybe that's the kind of woman he's married to.
What one finds annoying is a matter of opinion.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 pm

ABED wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I think that's a stereotype of women in Shonen manga but hey, not every woman is like that. Quite possibly Toriyama-sensei does have a thing for annoying women and who knows, maybe that's the kind of woman he's married to.
What one finds annoying is a matter of opinion.
I for one think Chi-Chi is insufferably annoying while Bulma gets on my nerves but makes up for it by doing some things of consequence and being a lovable character early on. Really, Akira Toriyama may not find that annoying but if he does there's no reason why he couldn't be attracted to somebody like that.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:18 am

I don't know if "thing" is the right word, but its basically what he can do. He isn't exactly a versatile writer. Just look how many things he has written with a kid very, very similar to Goku as the lead.

I've always been a fan of Bulma, Chi-Chi, Launch and 18, so it doesn't bother me. Videl, I have to say, I could take or leave, but I think the way she went from a spirited teenager to maturing and settling into a mother/ wife role was pretty good. Even realistic, which isn't something you can say much about Dragon Ball.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.