If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:13 am

So...been awhile since I've visited. Wanted to say...I'm unsure if anything's been said by anyone else here, but...if anyone's unaware, the vocalist of Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, took his own life a few days ago, and...I understand that this is quite tangentially related to Dragon Ball...and certainly in a way that many of us may not look back on too fondly.

I suppose there's a part of me that feels a great loss of a part of myself during this time. If I haven't mentioned: I have dealt with autism and ADHD my whole life, and Linkin Park (DBZ AMVs included) gave me (popular) music that spoke about the emotions so intense that I struggled to deal with. Songs like "Numb" and "Somewhere I Belong" were as much of a "safe space" as a lot of therapy I had. I also was lead to a lot of the stuff I began to like later on (like QoTSA, Deftones, & NIN).

In my case, it's not too attached to my DB experience, but I figured it had that effect on a lot of people, and...I hope it's alright to thread this? (Thanks if at all possible, mods :angel: )

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:22 am

The first AMV I ever saw was Goku vs Baby and the song playing was in the end.

Gerky

Re: If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Post by Gerky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:47 am

None at all. I'm not sure Linking Park or Dragon Ball even crossed over in any way for me. Liking the Breaking the Habit video was probably the closest they even got to an anime crossover for me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:56 am

I liked their songs, but that "Crawling in my skin" song was a bit whiny for me...until I learned the lead vocalist commited suicide over horrific child abuse he experienced as a kid. Now it breaks my heart. :(
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 am

Yeah there were a fuck load of DBZ AMV's and many were linkin Park. A saw an eminem one but the DBZ action was even faster than his flow, it fit better with Nu-metal than hip hop.

I was a fan of both separately of each other, but when I heard the news I did think back to all those limewired tracks back in the day :D
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:52 am

There were tons of AMVs with Linkin Park, I used to watch them all the time as a pre-teen.
For a couple of years my brain associated Dragon Ball with Linkin Park automatically. That was a long time ago...

Here's one example of the AMVs I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HHSNyACdpU

RIP Chester; he was a little part of me growing up. :(

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:11 am

I remember when DBZ AMV of Linkin Park music was popular before Youtube exist. When Youtube became more popular in 2006, you had a big wave of Linkin Park AMVs of Naruto and One Piece.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:45 am

For some reason, DBZ was associated with Linkin Park in the early 2000s even going as far as there being a rumor that Linkin Park did the opening theme song. I can see how this happened. When you're a kid, you take things that you like and you mash them up. Linkin Park seemed to fit in well with the current DBZ product on TV (Rock the Dragon sounded like it could have been a Linkin Park song, I guess), and off to the races we were. There were tons of Linkin Park/DBZ music videos made and put online.

Then again, there were lots of bizarre DBZ music videos that I saw. I saw one of the Goku vs. Majin Vegeta fight done to "The Heat Is On" from Bust a Groove 2. The word "random" doesn't even do it justice.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 am

I remember when I first discovered Youtube and Dailymotion back in 2006 there were a lot of DBZ AMVs with Linkin Park music, despite that I've never associated the band directly with DBZ. For one I was already familiar with their music before watching any AMVs and secondly, their music was so mainstream at that point that their tracks were being used in everything from gameplay montages to wrestling tribute videos to Naruto and other anime AMVs. The music was overused to such an eye-rolling degree that this was even parodied in the Master Chief Sucks at Halo 3 Machinima.

Anyway, it's very sad that Chester died. He was awesome at what he did.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:11 am

DBZ Amv's was how I become such a big fan of LP. To this day I still think rock music can fit with DB. Went on a massive grind after the news watching loads of DBZ Amv's.
So sad man, I just don't understand why no-one was with Chester all the time on the day, surely someone must've realised that it was Cornell's birthday. LP they were just in my town a few weeks ago and I couldn't go cuz I was busy... Wish I found the time now. :(

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am

Some of the first videos I ever saw on YouTube back in '07 were DBZ AMV that had Linkin Park songs in them. It was in the song "In the End" specifically that I recall being my first exposure to the band. And it wasn't really hard to find a DBZ AMV that had a Linkin Park song in them because AMV's like that were everywhere around that time. And I actually got into the band (and I'm still into them) because of those DBZ AMV's.

Rest in peace, Chester. You truly will be missed. :cry:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 pm

I too am on the autistic spectrum and am shocked at the passing of Chester.

I remember the AMV days well, and the rumour about Linkin Park composing 'Rock the Dragon'. Anyone watch Eagledriver1989's (I think that was his name) Dragon Ball AF videos. They were basically fanmade AF episodes using gameplay footage and Linkin Park's music as the BGM. Entertaining for the time to say the least.

Today I consider myself a fan of both Dragon Ball and Linkin Park, but not in conjunction with one another.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:10 pm

I remember when Linkin Park was rumor to do music for the DBZ live action movie back in the early-mid 2000's.
She/Her

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Some of the first videos I ever saw on YouTube back in '07 were DBZ AMV that had Linkin Park songs in them. It was in the song "In the End" specifically that I recall being my first exposure to the band. And it wasn't really hard to find a DBZ AMV that had a Linkin Park song in them because AMV's like that were everywhere around that time. And I actually got into the band (and I'm still into them) because of those DBZ AMV's.

Rest in peace, Chester. You truly will be missed. :cry:
I've seen those since the old, virus-filled Kazaa days. :lol: Me and my friends would always show each other the ones we found back then. :mrgreen:

There must have been thousands of those "In the End" AMVs.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Nu Metal was huge in late 1998-2004. You could not listen to the radio without hearing Disturbed, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Drowning Pool, Sevendust, Godsmack and Limp Bizkit in the early-mid 2000's (Before Emo and Metalcore took over in 2005-2010). I'm surprise to see people around my age not knowing about Linkin Park, Disturbed, Static-X, Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence and other Nu Metal until 2006 or 2007 when they discover AMVs on Youtube.

Did anyone not listen to the radio as a kid in the car or on the school bus? I remember when they would play Drowning Pool on the radio on my school bus when I come home from school in the 5th grade in 2001. I was a kid in the mid-late 90's and early 2000's like most people around my age.
She/Her

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Did anyone not listen to the radio as a kid in the car or on the school bus? I remember when they would play Drowning Pool on the radio on my school bus when I come home from school in the 5th grade in 2001. I was a kid in the mid-late 90's and early 2000's like most people around my age.
I never listened to much radio, but even I heard Linkin Park and other Nu Metal on the school bus and kids would bring their CDs in to school and we'd listen to them in recess. I'm guessing I'm about the same age as you, since I too was in the 5th grade in '01.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Got me into anime with DBZ AMVs. The news about achester really was heartbreaking

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Basically, the same as everyone here, listening to Dragon Ball Z, and Naruto vs Sasuke Amv with the Linkin Park song "In The End". I remember loving those growing up in Elementary and Middle school. Then the Transformers movies helped me find more great Linkin Park songs, especially the thrid film.

R.I.P. Chester, hope you find happiness wherever you are.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 am

I have no love for Linkin Park. I got into DB through Kai, and was spared the terrible AMVs. Linkin Park does not, nor has it ever had, affected DB for me.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:17 am

For me it was the other way around, I got introduced to Linkin Park through DBZ amvs, then through Linkin Park I got into music in general