If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:02 am

If anything, I'd associate Linkin Park with Gundam. Anyone remember this?

https://hlj.com/product/WPZR-30077
The world is your's.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If at all, how did Linkin Park affect your experience with Dragon Ball (or anime overall)?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 am

Firstly, I just wanted to say RIP.

Linkin Park's music was never "deep", musically or lyrically, but you got the sense that they cared about what they were saying, and lumping them together with idiots like Korn or Limp Bizkit always seemed wrong to me.

DBZ related memory: when I was young and just starting to use YouTube (when it it was only one of several sites you went to for videos), I naturally wanted to see what DBZ stuff was on there. 90% of the videos were Linkin Park AMVs (probably exaggerating the numbers). Except I had no idea who Linkin Park were or what a AMV was, and thought they said "Linkin Part", referring to a "part" of the show that "linked" the main series together. Like a TV special or a lost episode or something.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: Linkin Park's music was never "deep", musically or lyrically, but you got the sense that they cared about what they were saying, and lumping them together with idiots like Korn or Limp Bizkit always seemed wrong to me.
I disagree. If anything, their songs always had lyrical depth, regardless if you could or couldn't relate to them. Somewhere I belong, Numb, Leave out all the rest, Nobody can save me, Lying from you.. these songs always get to me

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Back in the days of Google Videos, I found one of the earliest DBZ AMV's I ever saw. I later found out that it had a song from Linkin Park called, "One Step Closer". The whole video was about all the Saiyan characters transforming into Super Saiyans. It went well with the scenes and got me hooked on the band.

It's sad that the singer ended his life. He was a good musician. :(
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Alehandrew

Post by Alehandrew » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I was a preteen in the early 2000s and remember downloading lots of DBZ AMVs off Kazaa, limewire, and frostwire. I have great nostalgia for some of those old AMVs... it was so much fun because they would use clips from movies, gt, later parts of DBZ that I hadn't seen yet. So much mystery and piecing the series together back then. Good fun memories for sure and the linkin park music definitely matched it well! I remember even thinking they did Rock the Dragon for a time because of mislabeled files :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm familiar with Linkin Park, can't say I'm a fan, but I've heard their songs on the radio. They're ok, a bit too angsty for me, but it felt like it came from an honest place and now that I've recently learned the singer was battling depression I can understand it. In fact the radio is where I first heard of their singer's suicide. I was driving home and the dj started talking about it, (I live in an area still plentiful in a wide variety of radio stations so I haven't jumped on the satellite radio bandwagon yet) but I'd come in too late and missed hearing the band's name, only the singer's name (Chester). I only learned he was the Linkin Park singer the next day.

Their music didn't affect my Dragon Ball experience so much as I was aware they were a popular choice for amv's, which weren't a fandom thing I participated in.

It's tragic that he thought taking his own life was the best way out. Life is hard, and it's important that if you see warning signs that a friend or family member is considering suicide to reach out to them. Look up suicide prevention hotlines. Find counciling. Let that person know you're there for them to lend an ear or to talk things through and try to make life better.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 pm

tinlunlau wrote:If anything, I'd associate Linkin Park with Gundam. Anyone remember this?

https://hlj.com/product/WPZR-30077
Linkin Park came out when Gundam Wing was a hot thing on Cartoon Network. The timing for Linkin Park becoming big during the start of the 2000's was perfect. I notice many kids that watch anime on CN in the late 90's-early 2000's was into Nu Metal like Linkin Park, Disturbed and several others at the time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:32 am

As someone whose DB fandom started in 2001, they were a huge part of it. I spent tons of hours looking up DBZ Linkin Park AMVs on Morpheus and Kaazaa
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm

I remember all the DBZ x Linkin Park AMVs I downloaded off KaZaA and Limewire in the early 00s. Good times. :D Both really mixed pretty well for some reason. I especially like the Future Trunks AMVs with Linkin Park music. Fits pretty well for such a bleak setting.

I stopped listening to Linkin Park after Minutes to Midnight came out; wasn't a fan of their new sound. But I was sad all day when I found out Chester had committed suicide. Linkin Park was one of my favorite bands growing up. I hope he's in a better place now with no suffering.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:36 am

Yes, if I remember correctly, their music, along with Deftones was frequently used in the earlier days of YouTube and in the movie soundtracks.
El Conejo Malo