Live-action One Piece - would you like DB characters to appear?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Live-action One Piece - would you like DB characters to appear?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ow/.119132
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... evelopment

Yeah, let's just see how it goes. (I wonder how well they can adapt Eichiro Oda's rather exaggerated artwork.)

But since Oda and Toriyama are friends, there is a possibility that Goku or Krillin or some DB character could appear; remote, but possible. Would you like it if a DB character made a live-action appearance?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Live-action One Piece - would you like DB characters to appear?

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:05 am

Wow. What a terrible terrible 20th anniversary present. I'm not sure how the One Piece fandom is feeling. This doesn't look good.

And, as for the topic no, not at all. I don't want any Dragon Ball characters appearing in it and I'm pretty sure it is not going to happen.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gerky

Post by Gerky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:15 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ow/.119132
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... evelopment

Yeah, let's just see how it goes. (I wonder how well they can adapt Eichiro Oda's rather exaggerated artwork.)

But since Oda and Toriyama are friends, there is a possibility that Goku or Krillin or some DB character could appear; remote, but possible. Would you like it if a DB character made a live-action appearance?
There's really not much chance of any Dragon Ball characters appearing at all. This sort of thing has nothing to do with the creators being friends.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:22 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Wow. What a terrible terrible 20th anniversary present. I'm not sure how the One Piece fandom is feeling.
The same thing we felt when DB evolution was announced and released. :sick:

Hopefully this is one of those things that get announced and no one hears about again. How would they even cast it ? how would they bring those worlds to life ? One Piece's world is the type of world I wouldn't even trust a high budget blockbuster with let alone a TV show.

I think the only thing it'll have in common will be the name while everything else will be completely different. Instead of the islands and sea we'll go to different American cities and instead of the staw hats we'll get normal people who's dreams are also different. Someone's dream will be to visit the statue of libirty for example.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:39 am

Live Action One Piece!? OH GOD, ODA WHY!?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 am

I can't see this working at all.

Naruto or Bleach as a live action TV series if it had the suitable budget I could see working. One Piece though is just too weird and zany for it to ever work in live action.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:56 am

Kanassa wrote:Live Action One Piece!? OH GOD, ODA WHY!?
I doubt it was up to him. Shuishia are the rights holders so they probably gave them the OK.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:26 am

No, I really, really wouldn't like to see a Dragon Ball character appearing into a Live Action One Piece Adaption, as remote as it is. It would just be shameless pandering to the wrong fandom. Heck, Dragon Ball, and One Piece in on themselves just can't work in a Live Action Adaption. They live, and thrive in there respective art-styles.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 am

Gog wrote:No, I really, really wouldn't like to see a Dragon Ball character appearing into a Live Action One Piece Adaption, as remote as it is. It would just be shameless pandering to the wrong fandom. Heck, Dragon Ball, and One Piece in on themselves just can't work in a Live Action Adaption. They live, and thrive in there respective art-styles.
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the adaptation did have a cameo from DB Evolution Goku to make a jab at Evolution as a "See, guys! We're the good adaptation, nothing like THAT one!"

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 am

Kanassa wrote:
Gog wrote:No, I really, really wouldn't like to see a Dragon Ball character appearing into a Live Action One Piece Adaption, as remote as it is. It would just be shameless pandering to the wrong fandom. Heck, Dragon Ball, and One Piece in on themselves just can't work in a Live Action Adaption. They live, and thrive in there respective art-styles.
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the adaptation did have a cameo from DB Evolution Goku to make a jab at Evolution as a "See, guys! We're the good adaptation, nothing like THAT one!"
Oh, come on they arent that low. :) Of course, thinking about it does Toei even have the actual rights to legally show off Dragon Ball Evolution Goku? Would they be even bothered to actually buy the rights to show off his character, and make the joke in the first place? I do know I'm making more of your joke than I should be, but it does raise some interesting questions. :D

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:43 am

Gog wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Oh, come on they arent that low. :) Of course, thinking about it does Toei even have the actual rights to legally show off Dragon Ball Evolution Goku? Would they be even bothered to actually buy the rights to show off his character, and make the joke in the first place?
You'd be surprised how much people will pay to make a low blow :D

Also, I don't really think TOEI would be the one buyng the rights, it would be whoever in hollywood is making this... i think, I don't really understand how anime adaptations work behind the scenes.

Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Holy fucking shit no. Keep Dragon Ball in every aspect far away from this potential dumpster fire.

Who in God's name thought this would be a good idea? I mean, if Hollywood couldn't capture the cartoonish and vibrant aspect of the world of Dragon Ball appropriately with a movie level budget, then what chance in hell does a One Piece TV show have with a much smaller budget and a concept and atmosphere that is far more outlandish, wacky and cartoonish than Dragon Ball ever was, of being anything other than a disaster? Not to mention that One Piece doesn't have a huge TV audience in the west. This One Piece TV show is going to be a failure of epic proportions. And as a Brit and a huge fan of One Piece, I'm kinda saddened by the fact that ITV studios is a part of this.

What the fuck were they thinking with this?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: What the fuck were they thinking with this?
Reverse psychology, the adaption is so bad more people start to appreciate the original..
Memes become famous, one piece gains audience in the west..
A genius is behind this..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Holy fucking shit no. Keep Dragon Ball in every aspect far away from this potential dumpster fire.

Who in God's name thought this would be a good idea? I mean, if Hollywood couldn't capture the cartoonish and vibrant aspect of the world of Dragon Ball appropriately with a movie level budget, then what chance in hell does a One Piece TV show have with a much smaller budget and a concept and atmosphere that is far more outlandish, wacky and cartoonish than Dragon Ball ever was, of being anything other than a disaster? Not to mention that One Piece doesn't have a huge TV audience in the west. This One Piece TV show is going to be a failure of epic proportions. And as a Brit and a huge fan of One Piece, I'm kinda saddened by the fact that ITV studios is a part of this.

What the fuck were they thinking with this?
So, let's start predicting what hollywood bullshit is gonna get into this. Dragon Ball had Goku in high school ripping off Peter Parker. Maybe Ace dies in the first episode? Maybe they try to make it like Guardians of the Galaxy? I wonder if they'll completely forget that Luffy is practically asexual and have him lust after one of the crew. OH god, what are they gonna do to Zoro? They'll completely tone down Sanji's antic.

Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 am

sintzu wrote:
I doubt it was up to him. Shuishia are the rights holders so they probably gave them the OK.
From Oda -
"In the past twenty years, there's been a lot of talk about making live-action adaptions.

About three years ago, I decided to take a step forward with the live-action adaptation, there were many twists and turns, and I found good partners. And now on the day of the 20th anniversary of One Piece, it's actually a coincidence that I can happily announce the project's production.

First of all, "I will never betray the fans who have supported me for 20 years." This is my one condition.

I am sure there will be a lot of voices of concern, but I also ask for voices of anticipation.

So please, wait for the next announcement with excitement! I'm looking forward to this!"
http://grapee.jp/en/85021

Kanassa wrote:

Gerky

Post by Gerky » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:19 am

Kanassa wrote:
sintzu wrote:
From Oda -
"In the past twenty years, there's been a lot of talk about making live-action adaptions.

About three years ago, I decided to take a step forward with the live-action adaptation, there were many twists and turns, and I found good partners. And now on the day of the 20th anniversary of One Piece, it's actually a coincidence that I can happily announce the project's production.

First of all, "I will never betray the fans who have supported me for 20 years." This is my one condition.

I am sure there will be a lot of voices of concern, but I also ask for voices of anticipation.

So please, wait for the next announcement with excitement! I'm looking forward to this!"
http://grapee.jp/en/85021
Oh man, the poor guy. He has no idea that nothing will be good enough for the fans, ever. This is going to brutal.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am

Probably won't be as bad as the upcoming Mega Man movie will be. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:45 am

I don't see why there would be Dragon Ball characters showing up in this. I'm going to try and be optimistic about this adaptation. I'm really curious as to how it will turn out. I get the feeling that they'll do it the easiest way possible which is make Pirates of the Caribbean but slap One Piece characters in it. Just like how Dragon Ball Evolution was just Raimi's Spider-Man but with Dragon Ball characters slapped into it.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:45 am

Kanassa wrote: From Oda -

Oh Oda, you poor naive fool.

Does he not know what happened with Dragonball Evolution?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:02 am

Well this should be interesting. For better or worse.

But, no, I don't really see any reason to have Dragonball characters in it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.