LGBT in DragonBall

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

LGBT in DragonBall

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 am

I was asked an interesting question the other day.

"Are there gay characters in DragonBall?"

It's not a question I ever expected having to field in relation to a property where the main narrative drive is about people punching other people in the face. But I also found myself ill-equipped to provide an answer... mainly because the answer I could provide was not the one I wanted to hand down.

There are no LGBT characters in DragonBall, aside from stereotypes.

But at the same time, does it need them?

Various voices within the LGBT movement indicate homophobia as a driving force behind the ongoing "conspiracy" (or however you would define the willful exclusion of diveristy) that kept gay characters from being represented for such a long time in mainstream consumption. In light of the increasingly successful integration of homosexual characters in popular franchises, arguments of commercial concerns or consumer protection that were floated twenty years ago certainly don't carry the same weight they once did- times are changing, and the media landscape is morphing to reflect that.

Historically, all types of media have been featuring heterosexual couples all the time for as long as Things Have Existed, and sometimes in erotic situations. While "erotic" obviously would not apply to DragonBall (aside from some gag material), is refusing to show or even acknowledge LGBT characters as "normal" an issue for the series? We are living in an era where these issues are being discovered and addressed at younger ages and with increasing frequency and expectation of acceptance. Does it matter if DragonBall lacks LGBT role models?

My inclination is to argue no, because DragonBall is not a love story. There's no such focus beyond the superficial element of people getting together and producing offspring. But would that mean that the opposite end of the spectrum should be addressed in some way? Heterosexual couples obviously exist everywhere; should there be some added diversity to show that it's normal to be something else?

I realize that we have had gay stereotypes appear in DragonBall, but that is obviously not intended as the focus of this discussion. Neither does a hypothetical LGBT character necessarily have to be about conspicuous advertisement of such. Ideally it would be something that is "just there", acknowledged to exist and then mostly ignored. Just like real people, fictional characters need not be categorized or defined by race, gender or in this case sexual orientation; instead, he or she is ideally depicted as an individual with unique characteristics apart from those very basic qualities. An infusion of "gay" characters who act gay for the sake of being gay to satisfy some nonexistent quota is less helpful than intended. Yet, if a cast of characters is lacking the necessary depth of diversity to be believable to those who are underrepresented, the collective credibility of a work can be at stake. Continuing willful ignorance can be similar in effect to blatant segregation in that it is able to be damaging to those who don't feel included.

Introducing a token gay character or telling a "gay story" that would place a strong focus on the mere fact that someone is gay is no longer how and where these aspects should be integrated, nor is it something that we would expect from modern DragonBall. But what should we expect? Should we even expect anything at all? Do we need to? Does it matter?

I certainly support the concept of getting LGBT characters to appear, even if it may not reflect any sort of "official" position of either the LGBT community or DragonBall fandom in general. I would think there are plenty of LGBT kids and teens (and adults!) who would like to self-identify. But it's helpful to remember that LGBT people are not a singular group but rather a large variation of different individuals, many of whom probably aren't looking to make a big deal out of being "different" but instead just want to be accepted for who they are... whether it be in real life or as represented in media. There's certainly no Holy Crusade to add dynamic sexuality to DragonBall like there was for... say, Frozen. But I think it's an interesting point of discussion regardless, particularly now that Caulifla and Kale are often regarded as potential examples of LGBT. Fandom in general has been shipping gay couples for years even if the series itself provides no direct acknowledgement that gay exists (Tenshinhan and Chaozu, Goten and Trunks, etc), but now we may have a bonafide example of predetermined design in this respect.

What do you guys think? Do we need LGBT representation in DragonBall? Are there other ways in which you think the series lacks diversity which you would change? Or is a shonen series not meant to address these concerns in any sort of visible, meaningful way?

~Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: LGBT in DragonBall

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:03 am

I currently believe Kale to be gay, So I'd say we have at least one.

In general, you don't need to tell Gay Stories to have Gay characters. A character can be Gay without warping the narrative around that fact. Tracer from Overwatch is one example.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:26 am

Well, no. Certainly not. That was part of my point. Story ideas or character traits that specifically revolve around a gay aspect aren't necessary. Simple, direct acknowledgement of the fact is enough.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:27 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:What do you guys think? Do we need LGBT representation in DragonBall?
I think the idea that we should insert alternative identities sexualities into everything is ridiculous, and obnoxious, and increasingly prevalent because of the, excuse my bluntness, retarded victim culture the west gleefully takes part in constantly, especially when it comes to the most useless aspects of identity, such as gender and sexuality. Someone forgot to publicly announce that everyone stopped caring ages ago, I guess.

If a writer or director is interested in using it to say something poignant, they can go for it. If not, over 95% of the population is straight and vanilla, and don't want it shoved to the forefront of the movie just so some no-name activist creator can say "Look, this is something that exists! Do you feel represented?! PLS MEND MY TERRIBLE CHILDHOOD I'LL DO ANYTHING!!!"

No, it isn't Dragon Ball's job to represent everyone. It isn't any author's job to represent anyone but themselves. If there's a market for LGBT literature, it will arise out of a free market, probably from those who are LGBT themselves (Though as long as they're complaining about lack of representation, they aren't writing their own stories that live up to their own standards. It's very telling.) I guarantee that a show for young boys in a nation where the kids don't spray-paint their useless identities over everything, a show of a nation that is potentially dying because no one will have sex, I guarantee that a show for boys existing in a market with these conditions will not need LGBT representation.
Retired.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:40 am

I would agree that cultural diveristy is not something an author should be required to integrate into the narrative for its own sake. At the same time, I might argue that it's something a thoughtful and intelligent one would be mindful of in today's environment.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:47 am

Blue is considered an offensive gay stereotype, especially in the anime, but I'd still argue he's one of the best antagonists in OG Dragonball. He may be 'offensive' but god damn if he isn't one of the most charismatic villains. In the manga at least. Not seen the anime but I've heard about the awful idea they had for him in Penguin Village. Oops.

I mean you can make a case for a lot of characters perhaps being gay if you really wanted. And the fandom often do;
Tenshinhan chose to live with another man as his life partner instead of Launch.
Satan and Majin Buu constantly act like an old married couple with Satan fussing over Buu.
Kale definitely feels like she has a crush on Caulifla due to her jealousy over Caulifla getting chummy with Cabba.
Whis blushes over Beerus being naked in the bath.
Zarbon has been considered this due to his beautiful man schtick.
Zamasu's overly long hug with Black(although that's more self love).
Goten and Trunks have literally shared a body together, although Mai X Trunks being canon has probably broken that idea now.
Etc.

The idea of adding a gay character officially is fine, but they need to have something beyond just being gay. Retroactively making a character gay could make it feel like a desperate act for diversity too. I can't remember how the Potter fanbase took the sudden reveal by JK Rowling that Dumbledore was gay but I can imagine it was a bit of a base breaker.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:54 am

I'm not even sure there are any of the established characters (among the main, original cast) you could rework into being gay without it looking like a reach. Most of them are either in a heterosexual relationship already or are kids.

It would probably require a new character, like the U6 saiyans.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:39 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I'm not even sure there are any of the established characters (among the main, original cast) you could rework into being gay without it looking like a reach. Most of them are either in a heterosexual relationship already or are kids.

It would probably require a new character, like the U6 saiyans.
Tien and Chiaoutzu at a push could fit. Tien's more asexual though.
Chiaoutzu's such a blank out of focus slate he could be pretty much anything without contradicting anything. Not sure how the fanbase would feel about that being their homosexual representative though.
Maybe Puar, Pilaf or Shu? Not sure...

Outside of them everyone from the original cast is established as heterosexual due to either having kids(Goku, Krillin, Bulma), being interested in the opposite sex(Yamcha, Mai, Launch(RIP)) or being perverted towards the opposite sex(Roshi, Oolong, Yajirobe(if Maron filler counts)).
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Gerky

Post by Gerky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:49 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:What do you guys think? Do we need LGBT representation in DragonBall?
I think the idea that we should insert alternative identities sexualities into everything is ridiculous, and obnoxious, and increasingly prevalent because of the, excuse my bluntness, retarded victim culture the west gleefully takes part in constantly, especially when it comes to the most useless aspects of identity, such as gender and sexuality. Someone forgot to publicly announce that everyone stopped caring ages ago, I guess.

If a writer or director is interested in using it to say something poignant, they can go for it. If not, over 95% of the population is straight and vanilla, and don't want it shoved to the forefront of the movie just so some no-name activist creator can say "Look, this is something that exists! Do you feel represented?! PLS MEND MY TERRIBLE CHILDHOOD I'LL DO ANYTHING!!!"

No, it isn't Dragon Ball's job to represent everyone. It isn't any author's job to represent anyone but themselves. If there's a market for LGBT literature, it will arise out of a free market, probably from those who are LGBT themselves (Though as long as they're complaining about lack of representation, they aren't writing their own stories that live up to their own standards. It's very telling.) I guarantee that a show for young boys in a nation where the kids don't spray-paint their useless identities over everything, a show of a nation that is potentially dying because no one will have sex, I guarantee that a show for boys existing in a market with these conditions will not need LGBT representation.
Let me guess, you're a straight, white male? If I'm correct, here's some points to consider: Representation and diversity isn't important to you because you've always been represented in media. You are a part of the most privileged group in existence, and now that people want things to represent more how life is, you feel threatened. Straight and vanilla? Do you mean race here with vanilla, or are you implying anything other heterosexuality is 'abnormal' like a kink or a fetish? Wanting to be able to see yourself on screen, or in video games or comics or books or any kind of consumable media, to see that, yes, there is nothing wrong with you is not 'retarded', it's not part of victim culture. It's completely fine. And it's amusing you would claim it's part of a victim culture, when often the first sign of diversity people like you play the pre-emptive victim card because, whoa, the world isn't revolving around you anymore because some other people are getting some bones tossed their way. Things are changing and it's absolutely for the better.

Dragon Ball is terrible at representation because it's an older property, and Japan is terrible at representation. Does it need to be better? No it doesn't need to be, but it'd be fantastic if they did. The alternate universes would have been a great chance to showcase things like this, but I guess developing 60+ new characters could be a difficult task for a show like this (well, really, any show).
Li'l Lemmy wrote:I'm not even sure there are any of the established characters (among the main, original cast) you could rework into being gay without it looking like a reach. Most of them are either in a heterosexual relationship already or are kids.
It'd be easy to add a few LGBTQIA traits to some of the characters, not all. Piccolo is officially asexual. Yamcha could easily be read as asexual, for example. Before 18 Kuririn could have been read as closeted. Before Mai, I considered the possibility of Trunks. It's not perfect, but we're not rewriting the series here. I don't think.
Akyon wrote:Tien and Chiaoutzu at a push could fit. Tien's more asexual though.
Chiaoutzu's such a blank out of focus slate he could be pretty much anything without contradicting anything. Not sure how the fanbase would feel about that being their homosexual representative though.
Maybe Puar, Pilaf or Shu? Not sure...

Outside of them everyone from the original cast is established as heterosexual due to either having kids(Goku, Krillin, Bulma), being interested in the opposite sex(Yamcha, Mai, Launch(RIP)) or being perverted towards the opposite sex(Roshi, Oolong, Yajirobe(if Maron filler counts)).
Chiaoutzu being a part of representation wouldn't be a problem is he wasn't a prop. I mean, we wouldn't have one of the Dragon Balls represent someone. Toriyama has always said he can't write romance, sometimes I think he goes to far in the opposite direction and we end up with a large percentage of the cast as asexuals, instead.

Launch chased after a man she knew had no interest in her at all and then turned to alcohol when she couldn't use him to lie to herself anymore. She's totally a lesbian. ;)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:03 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I realize that this has the potential to be a sensitive topic, but I feel that the potential gains of such a discussion outweigh the risks. I know that the Kanzenshuu community is very much capable of handling delicate subject matter in a mature and responsible way, and I anticipate that reading through this topic will prove to be a shining example of that affirmation. ^.^

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 am

Gerky wrote:Let me guess, you're a straight, white male?
Because being a straight white male automatically invalidates anything they have to say on the topic
If I'm correct, here's some points to consider: Representation and diversity isn't important to you because you've always been represented in media
Okay, what about me? As a person who is apart of the groups who haven't been 'Represented in media' (Even though there's plenty of characters of most in fiction), this diversity and representation bullshit isn't important to me. In fact, it feels rather insulting, like I'm a child being patted on the head. It's no one's job to include a character of any particular alignment on the scale of biological combinations.

Writers and artists should create the characters they want to create.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 am

There are gay characters in Dragon Ball in the form of General Blue and Otokosuki. Are they positive stereotypes? No, but there's no rule that dictates that every group should be represented equally. Even so, there are characters that we can infer as having a probability of being gay such as Kale and Zamasu, though I'd never expect anyone involved with the series to come out and say they are.

The only reason there are straight relationships in Dragon Ball to begin with is to introduce new characters that have a connection with the old cast. Our main character is about as assexual as you can get. Representation is a load of bollocks.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 am

Representation is like anything else in story telling, if someone wants to tackle it fine, if they don't, I'm not gonna complain about the lack of avatars for the gender-fluid, omni-sexual, binary Toyota's of the world any more then I'll complain about everyone being white.

Sulu from Beyond was a pretty good way of doing it, he's there, he's got a husband and kid and the story never takes a sledgehammer and bashes you in the nutsack about how cool and hip and fresh it's being because oh my god! It's got a gay guy in the Enterprise crew!

The problem usually is that representation like this comes off as forced to just placate twitter or tumblr and not something that's just there or because the creator actually wants it to be. Like the new Call of Duty game lets you play as BLACK. FEMALE. NAZIS! You know, because Nazi's were really the paragons of fairness towards genders and ethnicities!
Doctor. wrote:There are gay characters in Dragon Ball in the form of General Blue and Otokosuki. Are they positive stereotypes? No, but there's no rule that dictates that every group should be represented equally. Representation is a load of bollocks.
There kind of is I've noticed that irks me. A white guy can get shown as a drug addict, alcoholic, abusive father or husband but I guarantee you, if anyone else was portrayed like this, accusations would be flying all over the place even if the creative people behind it aren't racist or misogynistic or homophobic in the least!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gerky

Post by Gerky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 am

Kanassa wrote:
Gerky wrote:Let me guess, you're a straight, white male?
Because being a straight white male automatically invalidates anything they have to say on the topic
Because that's exactly what I said. Oh, wait, no, I was trying to find where this aggressive perspective was, and often that is the most common reason.
If I'm correct, here's some points to consider: Representation and diversity isn't important to you because you've always been represented in media
Okay, what about me? As a person who is apart of the groups who haven't been 'Represented in media' (Even though there's plenty of characters of most in fiction), this diversity and representation bullshit isn't important to me. In fact, it feels rather insulting, like I'm a child being patted on the head. It's no one's job to include a character of any particular alignment on the scale of biological combinations.

Writers and artists should create the characters they want to create.[/quote]

Yep, good-o, mate. No one said it's what they have to do. I even specifically said that they don't need to do it, but it's great to see. I'd love to hear which groups you're apart of, honestly. And I'm glad representation isn't important to you, it doesn't mean it's not important to a ton of people including and especially, since you mentioned that diversity and representation makes you feel like one (which seems like an odd reaction; inclusiveness makes you feel childish), children.
Doctor. wrote:The only reason there are straight relationships in Dragon Ball to begin with is to introduce new characters that have a connection with the old cast. Our main character is about as assexual as you can get. Representation is a load of bollocks.
As I mentioned, Dragon Ball has fabulous representation for asexuals.
ekrolo2 wrote:There kind of is I've noticed that irks me. A white guy can get shown as a drug addict, alcoholic, abusive father or husband but I guarantee you, if anyone else was portrayed like this, accusations would be flying all over the place even if the creative people behind it aren't racist or misogynistic or homophobic in the least!
For a long time the most positive portrayal of a gay person in the media was a sexless, camp deviant. At worst, a pedophile or rapist. Purely because of sexuality. (And for the longest time were not acknowledged as wanting children or stable relationships, because they're sluts, despite being sexless. It's a weird contradiction.) Woman were objects punished for sexuality or considered unable to work because of children on the brain (well except menial service jobs, like in the kitchen or cleaning) or simply a bland prize to swoon over a rugged man. To complain that a white guy can be featured in any kind of role (while failing to mention the many, many positive portrayals they receive; how many female or LGBT or black drug addicts recover in media? Nowhere near as many. Depending on the media of course, it's often something for the white male to rise above and beat, some kind of adversity or a character quirk, rarely for the minorities) is kind of ridiculous, because all people being represented can be an addict or a loving person or a hateful monster. Showing only positive isn't good representation--and that's the trap a lot of people fall into.
Last edited by Gerky on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 am

Gerky wrote:LGBTQIA
What the fuck does this even mean anymore? I swear the acronym is just a parody of itself now, it's embarrassing.
ekrolo2 wrote:. Like the new Call of Duty game lets you play as BLACK. FEMALE. NAZIS! You know, because Nazi's were really the paragons of fairness towards genders and ethnicities!
This is deviating a bit, but that same game is removing the Swastika symbol from the multiplayer. Because not even historical accuracy is safe from sensitivities anymore, God forbid the kiddies start making Nazi jokes, we may have a scandal on our hands.

Gerky

Post by Gerky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 am

Doctor. wrote:
What the fuck does this even mean anymore? I swear the acronym is just a parody of itself now, it's embarrassing..
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Asexual.

And frankly, no, it's your hostility towards this topic that's embarrassing.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 am

Gerky wrote:Yamcha could easily be read as asexual, for example.
Yamcha was a womanizer who cheated on Bulma.
Gerky wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
What the fuck does this even mean anymore? I swear the acronym is just a parody of itself now, it's embarrassing..
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Asexual.

And frankly, no, it's your hostility towards this topic that's embarrassing.
Are you equating swear words with hostility? I'm saying the acronym is embarrassing because a lot of it is redundant.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 am

Gerky wrote:For a long time the most positive portrayal of a gay person in the media was a sexless, camp deviant. At worst, a pedophile or rapist. Purely because of sexuality. (And for the longest time were not acknowledged as wanting children or stable relationships, because they're sluts, despite being sexless. It's a weird contradiction.) Woman were objects punished for sexuality or considered unable to work because of children on the brain (well except menial service jobs, like in the kitchen or cleaning) or simply a bland prize to swoon over a rugged man. To complain that a white guy can be featured in any kind of role (while failing to mention the many, many positive portrayals they receive; how many female or LGBT or black drug addicts recover in media? Nowhere near as many. Depending on the media of course, it's often something for the white male to rise above and beat, some kind of adversity or a character quirk, rarely for the minorities) is kind of ridiculous, because all people being represented can be an addict or a loving person or a hateful monster. Showing only positive isn't good representation--and that's the trap a lot of people fall into.
The problem I've noticed is that nobody WANTS to them put them in these positions where they have a serious personnel problem and then rise above it, why? Because positive representation is the only one that seems to count and the second you don't give it to people, it's racism or sexist or homophobic because you're not glorifying the person you're representing the same way we've glorified a white guy. Fairness doesn't work like that, either show that everyone's capable of anything from being a horrid scumbag to paragon of virtue or this whole movement should just come out and admit "Yeah, we just want you to glorify us like you do any other white guy."

You know how Force Awakens, that horrendously derivative remake of the OT is praised for its representation? How long do you think that'd last if Kylo Ren or Snoke weren't straight and did the same evil bad guy stuff that they do? Disney would be getting shat on so hard for it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 am

We've had this topic before. Sex is not important in Dragon Ball nor are relationships. Toriyama only established relationships and children to further the plot or for comedy. Therefore, the representation of gay relationships or characters isn't important at all for Dragon Ball. Furthermore, personally, I dislike when things are noticeably put into shows to serve things like certain political inclinations (no matter what kind of political inclinations they are) instead of feeling 100% natural for the story and characters, so I'm highly skeptical regarding this topic.

Gerky

Post by Gerky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gerky wrote:For a long time the most positive portrayal of a gay person in the media was a sexless, camp deviant. At worst, a pedophile or rapist. Purely because of sexuality. (And for the longest time were not acknowledged as wanting children or stable relationships, because they're sluts, despite being sexless. It's a weird contradiction.) Woman were objects punished for sexuality or considered unable to work because of children on the brain (well except menial service jobs, like in the kitchen or cleaning) or simply a bland prize to swoon over a rugged man. To complain that a white guy can be featured in any kind of role (while failing to mention the many, many positive portrayals they receive; how many female or LGBT or black drug addicts recover in media? Nowhere near as many. Depending on the media of course, it's often something for the white male to rise above and beat, some kind of adversity or a character quirk, rarely for the minorities) is kind of ridiculous, because all people being represented can be an addict or a loving person or a hateful monster. Showing only positive isn't good representation--and that's the trap a lot of people fall into.
The problem I've noticed is that nobody WANTS to them put them in these positions where they have a serious personnel problem and then rise above it, why? Because positive representation is the only one that seems to count and the second you don't give it to people, it's racism or sexist or homophobic because you're not glorifying the person you're representing the same way we've glorified a white guy. Fairness doesn't work like that, either show that everyone's capable of anything from being a horrid scumbag to paragon of virtue or this whole movement should just come out and admit "Yeah, we just want you to glorify us like you do any other white guy."

You know how Force Awakens, that horrendously derivative remake of the OT is praised for its representation? How long do you think that'd last if Kylo Ren or Snoke weren't straight and did the same evil bad guy stuff that they do? Disney would be getting shat on so hard for it.
Plenty of people want that kind of representation. Look at something Orange is the New Black, it has that kind of representation. No one would mind if Kylo Ren was not straight (no indication he is either) and Snoke was originally going to be a woman (apparently the reason will be revealed later and was a consequence of casting serkis), and it was getting praised for it's diversity.

Anyone who is resistant to being able to have a minority be, to stick the example, a drug addict or something is being silly and sometimes fall into the trap of 'all fictional characters are role models' (often well meaning allies or people writing a deeply personal story) as long as it can be delivered on similar terms. Why should it be something they can't overcome if the only difference is skin colour or gender. Every fictional character should be able to be praised to the hills or torn down completely for their actions and their character, but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't have a more varied inclusive cast to do it with, you know? I'm a snarky prick who can be a downright arsehole to people. I'm gay, not flawless.
rereboy wrote:We've had this topic before. Sex is not important in Dragon Ball nor are relationships. Toriyama only established relationships and children to further the plot or for comedy. Therefore, the representation of gay relationships or characters isn't important at all for Dragon Ball. Furthermore, personally, I dislike when things are noticeably put into shows to serve things like certain political inclinations (no matter what kind of political inclinations they are) instead of feeling 100% natural for the story and characters, so I'm highly skeptical regarding this topic.
It's almost unique just how much a clinical and mechanical purpose sex serves in the Dragon Ball world and combined with almost zero romance I can't think of another shounen like that (but there probably is).