Do you consider the Boo arc better than Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you consider the Boo saga better than Super in general terms?

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:06 pm

I will also say that the budding romance between Videl and Gohan was there, but subtle, even though I know Toriyama avoids that stuff it felt like it was there to me.

Ocverall they are another couple that seems more believable than Goku and Chichi, though a shame how watered down Video has become as of late.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I don't, and I will freely admit that Buu saga has an abundant amount of inconsistencies, plot points that go nowhere, false hype, etc but at the end of the day it still has a villain that is far more entertaining and engaging than anything I've seen in Super. Not only that, but in terms of the anime, I haven't seen any fights that feel or look as good as the major ones in the Buu saga. Hell they some how made a candy fighting Buu the most entertaining thing ever.

Buu saga has a lot of creativity, it's heavily flawed, but it's highs make it enjoyable to watch in those moments.
Entertaining? That's up for debate but I can understand that. Engaging? I don't think so. Goku Black is one of the best developed villains this franchise has ever seen, far, far, far more than Majin Buu. Fat Buu was an immature child, and Kid Buu was an animal with no brain who just liked to destroy. Super Buu when he fused with Piccolo and Gotenks was a bit interesting, but that's only because he absorbed those characters. The real Super Buu with his favorite word: "Produce", was boring too.
Thing is you're comparing a wacky monster with all shapes and forms to a character that is motivated by revenge. Of course Goku Black will have more depth from a motive standpoint, but in terms of combat, unique abilities, and behavior? Buu wins that solidly, and in something like Dragon Ball, I value that far moreso than a generic anime revenge plot with an edgy god complex character.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Buu despite having very little character in all his forms was entertaining to watch. He was a crazy shapeshifter and unpredictable demon type character.

His fight with Gotenks in the time chamber stands out so much to this day. I loved when he would transform into putty or extend his arms or roll in a ball...you literally can't do that with other villains.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:02 pm

The buu saga was the most memorable for me, with all it's ups and downs. For animation standpoint, it's by far the best arc that DB has ever produced, even though super have some really good episodes like 13,16,39,50,57,61,65,66,75,90 and 95, the buu arc was consistently good for 92 episodes, and it's highs are, in my opinion, better than super's highs, like episodes 200,217,227,230,231,232,236,237,250,255,258,263,266,268,271,272,274,276,277,279,280,281,282,283,284,285,286 and 291.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Even when I was a teenager watching the Buu arc for the first time around 2004 or whatever it was, I don't think I was bothered by Gohan not getting the final blow on Buu. I loved the whole final aspect with Goku/Vegeta/Mr. Satan all working together to stop Kid Buu, plus Fat Buu returning and fighting, I thought it worked really well.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 pm

No. The Boo saga is my second favorite saga with the Saiyan saga being the first but it is not better than the entirety of Super. How I feel about Super is more or less the same how I feel with the Boo saga, they are on both equal footing for me and to say one is better over the other doesn't work for me.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:11 am

Boo saga stomps anything DBS has done besides a better villain which is Black, not to mention the interactions and personalities of certain characters such as Goku and Vegeta's, the OST's and fights were very memorable in comparison with my experience with Super which only had a few stand out and those few being the end fights. I loved how new forms and techniques kept popping up like SSJ3, Ultimate, Fusions but those still couldnt get the job done, one thing I really love about this series is its always unexpected how it will end. Super kinda does the same? but not as great as how Boo saga handled it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:12 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Boo saga stomps anything DBS has done besides a better villain which is Black, not to mention the interactions and personalities of certain characters such as Goku and Vegeta's, the OST's and fights were very memorable in comparison with my experience with Super which only had a few stand out and those few being the end fights. I loved how new forms and techniques kept popping up like SSJ3, Ultimate, Fusions but those still couldnt get the job done, one thing I really love about this series is its always unexpected how it will end. Super kinda does the same? but not as great as how Boo saga handled it.
To be fair SS3 (Goku vs Fat Buu) and Portara (Vegetti vs Super Buu and then getting the opportunity again only to stupidly reject it...) could and should have done the job but in attempt to elongate the arc and through not so good writing they didn't. And Gohan should have beaten Buu no questions but again not so good writing caused him not too. Unlike the Black arc where they literally tried everything and it genuinely didn't work.

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:Boo saga stomps anything DBS has done besides a better villain which is Black, not to mention the interactions and personalities of certain characters such as Goku and Vegeta's, the OST's and fights were very memorable in comparison with my experience with Super which only had a few stand out and those few being the end fights. I loved how new forms and techniques kept popping up like SSJ3, Ultimate, Fusions but those still couldnt get the job done, one thing I really love about this series is its always unexpected how it will end. Super kinda does the same? but not as great as how Boo saga handled it.
To be fair SS3 (Goku vs Fat Buu) and Portara (Vegetti vs Super Buu and then getting the opportunity again only to stupidly reject it...) could and should have done the job but in attempt to elongate the arc and through not so good writing they didn't. And Gohan should have beaten Buu no questions but again not so good writing caused him not too. Unlike the Black arc where they literally tried everything and it genuinely didn't work.
Didn't Goku do the EXACT same thing at the beginning of the Black arc? When he fights Black for the first time (in the present), back when Black still hadn't reached the peak of his strength, Goku fools around in regular Super Saiyan form instead of going all out. He's giving Black a run for his money, yet Vegeta actually points out that he's barely trying... and then Black escapes, of course. So yeah, they tried everything... right after they let him escape just for the sake of it. Not that it's out of character, mind you, but it's the whole reason the situation escalated in the first place.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:00 am

Saago wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Didn't Goku do the EXACT same thing at the beginning of the Black arc? When he fights Black for the first time (in the present), back when Black still hadn't reached the peak of his strength, Goku fools around in regular Super Saiyan form instead of going all out. He's giving Black a run for his money, yet Vegeta actually points out that he's barely trying... and then Black escapes, of course. So yeah, they tried everything... right after they let him escape just for the sake of it. Not that it's out of character, mind you, but it's the whole reason the situation escalated in the first place.
To be fair Black was forcefully thrown back into the future due to the distortion of time and space returning back to normal, nobody predicted that to happen, even Black was surprised.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 am

Saago wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Even if Goku had taken Black out then future immortal Zamasu would have still existed and still been a problem, at that point Zamasu's existence wasn't known yet to Trunks so he would have presumably gone back to the future unknowingly.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:By a mile. The musical score and its placement(Kikuchi) alone murders anything in DBS. That's not even getting into Yama'uchi delivering some of the best episodes in the franchise and his extraordinary vision that made a story which was horrible in the manga to a memorable one in the anime.
Yes I know Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight was f****k up in the Manga but still other than that why you think it was Horrible story in manga?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 am

Absolutely. The Buu arc is my favorite arc in Z. I really like Super Buu as a villain and the fact that everyone on the planet is dead except for Gohan and co.

Plus Vegetto is awesome and the final battle against Kid Buu and the spirit bomb were some of the greatest moments in the series. I loved Ultimate Gohan, and SSJ3 Goku.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 am

In my eyes Buu arc is above every Super's arc bar Future Trunks arc, and the currently airing Universal Survival arc (which I won't compare as it's not finished yet)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
It's funny you say that Ssj3 Goku, Vegetto, and Gohan didn't finish off Boo because of "not so good writing," when any of them defeating Boo when they could have would have been the definition of bad writing considering the arc wasn't thematically finished at those points. The defeat we got for Boo is perfect and wraps the arc up nicely.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 am

OhHiRenan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
It's funny you say that Ssj3 Goku, Vegetto, and Gohan didn't finish off Boo because of "not so good writing," when any of them defeating Boo when they could have would have been the definition of bad writing considering the arc wasn't thematically finished at those points. The defeat we got for Boo is perfect and wraps the arc up nicely.
That is still poor writing, you can't wave those away just because you think the arc wasn't "thematically finished", Toriyama should have better wrote those situations instead of telling us " oh Buu could have been defeated here, here, here and here", it is not great writing at all.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 am

Yeah, I'll even excuse some of the asspulls. I mean OK story wise you can explain:

Gotenks and Gohan ultimately didn't defeat Buu because Buu got tricky and absorbed them. Then Vegetto didn't kill Buu because he wanted to save his loved ones. (then is absorbed and defuses for weak reasons, at least Super tried to improve this somewhat, while also making Vegetto a little less OP)

However, all his ass pulling couldn't be explained away with Gohan and or the boys not joining the fight with Kid Buu. Toriyama clearly didn't care about that making sense. It was time for Goku to take the stage again simple as that.

Personally, if Toriyama was so dead set on having Buu blow up the earth only to have it wished back so soon, here's the simple way to make it genuinely desperate:

Instead of leaving Gohan and the others behind to die in the earth explosion, have Goku find a way to grab everyone before he teleports. However, Gohan and the others are still passed out due to Buu's magic and won't wake up, forcing Goku and Vegeta to fight for themselves. They still make the dumb prideful decision to fight one on one, but when that fails, with the others still unconscious, the decision to use the Genki dama suddenly makes way more sense.

The only draw back? Gohan and the others passed out won't be there to donate energy, but is that such a big loss if it makes the drama make more sense?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am

Your great idea is for them to be unconscious? At least Goku and Vegeta recklessly fighting Buu without Gohan's help is in character for them. A few of the main characters being asleep is great drama?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:07 pm

...But, once they GIVE up fighting Kid Buu in favor of the Genki Dama, Gohan being alive and well yet Vegeta refused is just done for Goku, who SUGGESTED Gohan's help.

Them being "asleep" isn't the drama, it's them not being there to help and making Vegeta's decision not come off as an ass pull but rather a last minute idea that just might work.

Enough of this "in character" BS excuse, THEY WERE NO LONGER FIGHTING, what enjoyment would Vegeta or Goku get at this point using a ki gathering technique?

More over what was in character about Vegeta suddenly wanting the earth to help? How does that tie into your weak "there not hero's fighting to save the world" even though the majority of the fights in the Buu arc is done for that very reason.

Vegeta even openly acknowledges they're fighting to save everyone, sheesh.

Face it, this is just a case of a STORY driven decision by Toriyama, you can't build logic around it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Here we go again with your view of fighting. Hitting Buu with the Genki Dama IS fighting.
Them being "asleep" isn't the drama, it's them not being there to help and making Vegeta's decision not come off as an ass pull but rather a last minute idea that just might work.
It wouldn't work. They would be out of action because they're asleep, essentially. Why can't they help? Because they are unconscious is what your idea amounts to. It's not dramatic and comes off as silly. Stop using the term "ass pull". Not only is it an asinine term, you're using it wrong. Ass pull is an ineloquent way of saying "deus ex machina". The Genki Dama is not that.
THEY WERE NO LONGER FIGHTING, what enjoyment would Vegeta or Goku get at this point using a ki gathering technique?
It is fighting. Your view of what constitutes fighting is ridiculous and doesn't apply to the character. You might not think it's fighting, but they do. That ki gathering technique becomes a projectile. And in character is never an excuse. If a plot point isn't in character then that's bad writing.
Vegeta even openly acknowledges they're fighting to save everyone, sheesh.
Say sheesh all you want but your refusal to acknowledge that not only did I say they aren't out to PRIMARILY save the world, but they have shown through their actions that it's not their driving force, is disingenuous. I know they are trying to save the world. I agree, but it's not their biggest priority. I've said so. I've said it 100 times that I know they are trying to save the world.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.