Dragon Ball Manga vs Anime Release Chart

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Manga vs Anime Release Chart

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:23 am

Hi guys! I worked on this neato project for the past five days that I thought some of you would like. This is a chart showing the release timeline of both the manga and the anime, showing the Chapter gap between each. Obviously, this is very much inspired by Hujio's Chapter Difference graph from DB 30 Years, but I wanted this to show a bit more information overall. Most plainly it can be used to see where in the release line significant events occur to better tell when certain filler arcs or stretching of Chapters occured, but it can also be used to see where the manga and anime took a break for a week (or more!). I additionally marked the major filler points in the anime, as well as the release points of the various movies and the first two attempts to bring the first anime series to the US via Harmony Gold and the Ocean cast dub.

http://imgur.com/zvpOPJs

You'll obviously want to view the full image because this thing is massive in size; any smaller and I couldn't show certain markers, in particular the ones around the prelude to the Cell Games. When it comes to the anime line, the higher the slope of the line, the faster the show covers the various Chapters; if the line is horizontal, that means the anime is not advancing to a new manga Chapter. Each line you pass as you go up or down is two manga Chapters, while each line as you go right or left is a month (in our time, obviously, this isn't an in-universe timeline after all). A gap in either line indicates when that work took at least a week off.

One of the things I noticed when looking at this chart was that, after Goku begins his fight with Vegeta early in the Z anime, the manga starts taking a week off much more frequently. Is he starting to get exhausted at this point and needs some breathing room? On the anime side, the Garlic Jr. arc ultimately doesn't prevent the anime from catching up again, which occurs just before the Cell Games. After that and the Otherworld/Saiyaman filler is wrapped up, the anime makes no further attempts at adding large filler stories until just before the end, instead preferring to take weeks or sometimes even an entire month off, which actually worked somewhat! But what confused me the most was when the anime took an entire month off during October despite the manga having finished; it didn't occur to me until later that of course Toei would be frantically trying to get GT organized to air right when Z finished.

Other interesting tidbits I noticed include the first Cooler movie debuting in the middle of the Goku/Frieza fight in the anime and less than a month after Trunks bisects him in the manga, the Trunks TV Special airing only five months after it was shown in the manga, and that the Bardock Special aired only a few weeks after Frieza began to fight Vegeta, Krillin and Gohan in the manga.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Manga vs Anime Release Chart

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:00 am

Extremely insightful and impressive chart. My massive props to you!

I actually started rewatching the series like this recently, and I even started it with Dr. Slump. I had about 52 chapters of the manga, before starting the first anime series. Dr. Slump is odd in where some of the chapters just have a story that ends after a chapter, so the anime reeeally has to draw it out, but most of it isn't too bad. There's at least 25 episodes of filler at the end of the series, padding out time for the Dragon Ball manga to get some breathing room. The manga was at the Murasaki fight when the anime began, which I always thought was a ton of room to work with, and it really shows in those first 28 episodes. Not rushed at all and everything sticks to the script.

As I type this, I'm on the Princess Snake episode (DBZ ep. 14) and Goku has just begun gathering energy for the Genki Dama (DB ch. 233). I would highly recommend anyone rewatching the series to watch it in this style!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:Extremely insightful and impressive chart. My massive props to you!

I actually started rewatching the series like this recently, and I even started it with Dr. Slump. I had about 52 chapters of the manga, before starting the first anime series. Dr. Slump is odd in where some of the chapters just have a story that ends after a chapter, so the anime reeeally has to draw it out, but most of it isn't too bad. There's at least 25 episodes of filler at the end of the series, padding out time for the Dragon Ball manga to get some breathing room. The manga was at the Murasaki fight when the anime began, which I always thought was a ton of room to work with, and it really shows in those first 28 episodes. Not rushed at all and everything sticks to the script.

As I type this, I'm on the Princess Snake episode (DBZ ep. 14) and Goku has just begun gathering energy for the Genki Dama (DB ch. 233). I would highly recommend anyone rewatching the series to watch it in this style!
Thanks! Although I found that the anime aired on the Chapter that Goku first encountered Buyon; it's why I marked that point on the manga's line and it's where the "Dragon Ball gang watch the anime on TV" title page came from that I stuck at the start of the anime's line.

While I haven't seen Dr. Slump, in a perfect world you would have a more Spongebob approach where two tales are told in one "episode", since the stories are so short. Is that what the redone version did? You did however make me realize that, if I included a marker for GT airing, maybe I should have also added one for the last Dr. Slump episode!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 am

I've got to admit I've never seen the 90's version of Dr. Slump. I've seen maybe one episode (and it's the one starring Goku) subbed, and nothing else raw. I was lucky enough to get 50ish of the first series subbed and the rest raw. I would assume they were able to knock out a lot more, since it's got a much lower episode count.

For the first chunk of episodes, there were split stories, although that began to stop. For example, Arale saving a bear and Senbei showing off his Big-Small gun were simply too short to really get enough for half an episode, so they did split them apart, which was nice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:12 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:I was lucky enough to get 50ish of the first series
I didn't know any of Dr. Slump had ever been subbed.

I remember hearing Viz did a pretty good translation of the manga, but I'd always heard neither anime incarnations had any official subs, or even good fansubs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Shame really, it'd be fun to see that series and what made it what it was. English dub would be better, although hopefully with a proper pronunciation of Arale's name!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:59 pm

KBABZ wrote:Shame really, it'd be fun to see that series and what made it what it was. English dub would be better, although hopefully with a proper pronunciation of Arale's name!
I don't see how a dub would be better... I guess it would help them shop it around for TV deals, and give it more broad appeal for DVDs and such, but really, I think it'd make the most sense to do both if possible.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Just, some form of the Dr. Slump anime in English is what we all want.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Shame really, it'd be fun to see that series and what made it what it was. English dub would be better, although hopefully with a proper pronunciation of Arale's name!
I don't see how a dub would be better... I guess it would help them shop it around for TV deals, and give it more broad appeal for DVDs and such, but really, I think it'd make the most sense to do both if possible.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Just, some form of the Dr. Slump anime in English is what we all want.
Dub is preferable to me because I find subtitles pretty distracting. When they pop up my brain is like "Hey, look down and read that thing!", which kinda defeats the purpose of actually looking at the rest of what's going on and I can miss stuff like character expressions or other cues.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 am

KBABZ wrote:Dub is preferable to me because I find subtitles pretty distracting. When they pop up my brain is like "Hey, look down and read that thing!", which kinda defeats the purpose of actually looking at the rest of what's going on and I can miss stuff like character expressions or other cues.
Fair enough.
Still, I suppose the best option would probably be to do both, although realistically, I think the best we're likely to get is a fansub of some sort.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:I was lucky enough to get 50ish of the first series
I didn't know any of Dr. Slump had ever been subbed.

I remember hearing Viz did a pretty good translation of the manga, but I'd always heard neither anime incarnations had any official subs, or even good fansubs.
As of right now, 58 episodes of the first series have been subbed. I watched about 50 or so, and then got impatient and decided to watch it raw. A good portion of them are translated over from a French boxset that got a chunk of episodes.

I really wanted to watch it just out of intrigue, but honestly, reading the manga is the best option. The anime seems to drag, and especially near the end, when Dragon Ball was just beginning to run in Weekly Jump, and Toei needed breathing room. And while I didn't enjoy some of the filler at the end of Dr. Slump, I would have rather had it than much more filler than there already is in the first two arcs in Dragon Ball.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 pm

It's funny because you'd think the non-sequential (relatively) nature of Dr. Slump it'd be far easier to make filler for it! Maybe they just couldn't wait to jump to Toriyama's new hotness at the time.