Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:It's like DBZ is the only anime with dub elitists who say shit like "Sean Schemell is the only Goku not some old hag", Its the other way around for every other anime show I've seen.
PLENTY of dub fans of all anime/games say (Dub actor) IS (this character.)

DBZ fans are just very vocal.
But I still don't see people disrespect the original Japanese version for other animes even if they prefer the dub, I've seen Bebop dub fans go on about how great It's dub Is but I don't see them saying Yamadera's Spike is crap compared to Blum's. On the other hand I've seen DBZ dub fans crap on Nozawa's performance and call Kikuchi's music "lame circus music".
Try watching any YouTube Video where Masako Nozawa is voicing Goku and you will definitely see many assholes talking shit about her and wishing for her to die or saying how "America did justice to a shitty Jap show with lame circus music and girly voices", I can't say the same for other anime dubs, I don't see Bleach Dub fans saying how Johny Young's Ichigo Shits over Morita's Ichigo or Mail's Naruto Shits over Takeuchi's but in dragon ball's case the dub fans are some of the most ignorant or disrespectful fans I have ever seen who don't even have a little respect for the origins of the Show and where it's made but keep thinking "America made dbz better"
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

But I still don't see people disrespect the original Japanese version for other animes even if they prefer the dub, I've seen Bebop dub fans go on about how great It's dub Is but I don't see them saying Yamadera's Spike is crap compared to Blum's. On the other hand I've seen DBZ dub fans crap on Nozawa's performance and call Kikuchi's music "lame circus music".
Try watching any YouTube Video where Masako Nozawa is voicing Goku and you will definitely see many assholes talking shit about her and wishing for her to die or saying how "America did justice to a shitty Jap show with lame circus music and girly voices", I can't say the same for other anime dubs, I don't see Bleach Dub fans saying how Johny Young's Ichigo Shits over Morita's Ichigo or Mail's Naruto Shits over Takeuchi's but in dragon ball's case the dub fans are some of the most ignorant or disrespectful fans I have ever seen who don't even have a little respect for the origins of the Show and where it's made but keep thinking "America made dbz better"
Yeah, I've seen that happening a lot on YT. It used to really annoy me, but I don't bother reading or replying to comments like those anymore.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

That's one of the sickest things anyone could say. That just makes me angry.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
That's one of the sickest things anyone could say. That just makes me angry.
Me too, I never understood why people need to insult the Japanese or English version of a freaking cartoon, people act like you need to choose one or another and take a side. If you like the English dub of something then your a retarded manchild who can't read subtitles, If you like the Japanese version then your a weeaboo japanophile. Elitism goes both ways and it angered me for a while, eventually I just ignored the haters and enjoy both sides without comparing to much.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Those people say the same thing about Yu Yu Hakusho, that the dub made the show better than it was in the sub. I think the YYH dub is also kind of overrated. I loathe Sabat's Kuwabara and I don't understand why Botan has an accent. I always found the Japanese version much better because of Sasaki, Ogata, Chiba and Hiyama.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Those people say the same thing about Yu Yu Hakusho, that the dub made the show better than it was in the sub. I think the YYH dub is also kind of overrated. I loathe Sabat's Kuwabara and I don't understand why Botan has an accent. I always found the Japanese version much better because of Sasaki, Ogata, Chiba and Hiyama.
To be fair, I like Cranz's Botan and never understood the hate for her Chi Chi either. And Botan doesn't really have an accent, at least no more than Ayres Freeza has an accent.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 pm

I also find It odd that most anime fans will nitpick the shit out of the pronunciation of Japanese words in dubs, but I've never once heard anyone complain about how to this day english dubs of DBZ products don't pronounce "saiyan" correctly. I guess It's been around so long people just accept "say in" as an alternative to "sai yawn".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Cranz's Botan is fine. She does have a slight accent. She's wrong for Chichi. Not only does she make Chichi sound much older than she should (especially in DB and early DBZ), she emphasizes Chichi's worst qualities.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
To be fair, I like Cranz's Botan and never understood the hate for her Chi Chi either. And Botan doesn't really have an accent, at least no more than Ayres Freeza has an accent.
She lacks something that Mayumi Sho had in the role.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Those people say the same thing about Yu Yu Hakusho, that the dub made the show better than it was in the sub. I think the YYH dub is also kind of overrated. I loathe Sabat's Kuwabara and I don't understand why Botan has an accent. I always found the Japanese version much better because of Sasaki, Ogata, Chiba and Hiyama.
Being inferior to the original doesn't make something bad. Dameon Clarks Cell is overall inferior to Wakamoto's original performance but that doesn't mean clark is bad, he's still great.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: To be fair, I like Cranz's Botan and never understood the hate for her Chi Chi either. And Botan doesn't really have an accent, at least no more than Ayres Freeza has an accent.
Being inferior to the original doesn't make something bad. Dameon Clarks Cell is overall inferior to Wakamoto's original performance but that doesn't mean clark is bad, he's still great.
I know, and Clarke does a great job.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: Does DBZ have the most overhyped anime english dub of all time?

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:While it certainly isn't the worst anime dub, I would agree that it's the most overrated. As many have already stated, the people that praise the old Dragon Ball dubs will often (though not always) write off high quality modern dubs such as those for One Piece, My Hero Academia, and will even condemn Dragon Ball Z Kai for its new voices and lack of Faulconer music. On the other hand, while there are plenty of dubs that I don't think are very good, the only anime that I will explicitly tell people to watch in Japanese is Dragon Ball.
The amount of blind hatred for many modern dubs is just ridiculous. MHA's dub is getting the recognition it deserves thankfully, Sabat's All Might, Briner's Deku and Chapin's Bakugo are phenomenal. But the bind hatred biggest example I noticed was Attack On Titan. Funimation hyped that dub up a lot with daily cast reveals and trailers, and all anyone could say was how bad it was. I will admit some of the scripting was off, but every actor was phenomenal, to the point in S2 I enjoyed the dub MORE then the sub for many of the characters. Despite just HOW many anime Bryce Papenbrook has been in, Eren is my most recognizable role for him alongside Makoto Naegi.

Another big example is JoJo, many people saying how badly done it is, um, HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE JAPANESE?! I may not have a good understanding of Japanese yet, but I know with my little knowledge how overacted and hammy JoJo's sub is, I mean just look at all the Engrish. And yet people complain the dub is too hammy and that the accents are stupid? That's what makes the dub so good! They're being accurate to the tone. Not the dubs fault people are ignorant to Japanese. I notice the same was said for Yuri On Ice and it's accents despite Micah Solusad taking lessons to learn Russian JUST for that shows dub.

And then there's the dubs which just don't get watched cause "Why would I bother when I have the sub?", which lately is Hunter X Hunter despite it's pretty damn good dub.

Dragon Ball's dub might not be overhyped, but the appreciation it gets while other much better dubs get hated or ignored is downright criminal.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 pm

The overacting in the Japanese version is fitting for a series like Jojo. Koyasu is delicious as Dio.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:While it certainly isn't the worst anime dub, I would agree that it's the most overrated. As many have already stated, the people that praise the old Dragon Ball dubs will often (though not always) write off high quality modern dubs such as those for One Piece, My Hero Academia, and will even condemn Dragon Ball Z Kai for its new voices and lack of Faulconer music. On the other hand, while there are plenty of dubs that I don't think are very good, the only anime that I will explicitly tell people to watch in Japanese is Dragon Ball.
The amount of blind hatred for many modern dubs is just ridiculous. MHA's dub is getting the recognition it deserves thankfully, Sabat's All Might, Briner's Deku and Chapin's Bakugo are phenomenal. But the bind hatred biggest example I noticed was Attack On Titan. Funimation hyped that dub up a lot with daily cast reveals and trailers, and all anyone could say was how bad it was. I will admit some of the scripting was off, but every actor was phenomenal, to the point in S2 I enjoyed the dub MORE then the sub for many of the characters. Despite just HOW many anime Bryce Papenbrook has been in, Eren is my most recognizable role for him alongside Makoto Naegi.

Another big example is JoJo, many people saying how badly done it is, um, HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE JAPANESE?! I may not have a good understanding of Japanese yet, but I know with my little knowledge how overacted and hammy JoJo's sub is, I mean just look at all the Engrish. And yet people complain the dub is too hammy and that the accents are stupid? That's what makes the dub so good! They're being accurate to the tone. Not the dubs fault people are ignorant to Japanese. I notice the same was said for Yuri On Ice and it's accents despite Micah Solusad taking lessons to learn Russian JUST for that shows dub.

And then there's the dubs which just don't get watched cause "Why would I bother when I have the sub?", which lately is Hunter X Hunter despite it's pretty damn good dub.

Dragon Ball's dub might not be overhyped, but the appreciation it gets while other much better dubs get hated or ignored is downright criminal.
I'm with you all the way man, I'm not a guy that hates on dubs because I think that's a low thing to do. I could watch AOT's dub If I wanted to but I feel like Funi has actors that would have played Armin and Erin far better. For JoJo I agree 100%, being hammy and insane is what JoJo is all about and I'm looking forward to Stardust Crusader's dub airing. I thought I was the only person enjoying HxH's dub after watching the Japanese glad to see someone else is. The quality of DB dub's may not be overhyped and I'm reading to much into a few comments, but I still feel like DB dubs get away with things that other anime dub's can't just like the things you said above.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:08 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:

I'm with you all the way man, I'm not a guy that hates on dubs because I think that's a low thing to do. I could watch AOT's dub If I wanted to but I feel like Funi has actors that would have played Armin and Erin far better. For JoJo I agree 100%, being hammy and insane is what JoJo is all about and I'm looking forward to Stardust Crusader's dub airing. I thought I was the only person enjoying HxH's dub after watching the Japanese glad to see someone else is. The quality of DB dub's may not be overhyped and I'm reading to much into a few comments, but I still feel like DB dubs get away with things that other anime dub's can't just like the things you said above.
Papenbrook is so overrated as a voice actor.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: The amount of blind hatred for many modern dubs is just ridiculous. MHA's dub is getting the recognition it deserves thankfully, Sabat's All Might, Briner's Deku and Chapin's Bakugo are phenomenal. But the bind hatred biggest example I noticed was Attack On Titan. Funimation hyped that dub up a lot with daily cast reveals and trailers, and all anyone could say was how bad it was. I will admit some of the scripting was off, but every actor was phenomenal, to the point in S2 I enjoyed the dub MORE then the sub for many of the characters. Despite just HOW many anime Bryce Papenbrook has been in, Eren is my most recognizable role for him alongside Makoto Naegi.

I wouldn't say he's overrated, I've seen him get plenty of hate even from dub fans. He's just cast way to much and can't pull off the angry edgelord teen's they keep casting him as.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: I'm with you all the way man, I'm not a guy that hates on dubs because I think that's a low thing to do. I could watch AOT's dub If I wanted to but I feel like Funi has actors that would have played Armin and Erin far better. For JoJo I agree 100%, being hammy and insane is what JoJo is all about and I'm looking forward to Stardust Crusader's dub airing. I thought I was the only person enjoying HxH's dub after watching the Japanese glad to see someone else is. The quality of DB dub's may not be overhyped and I'm reading to much into a few comments, but I still feel like DB dubs get away with things that other anime dub's can't just like the things you said above.
I wouldn't say he's overrated, I've seen him get plenty of hate even from dub fans. He's just cast way to much and can't pull off the angry edgelord teen's they keep casting him as.
I would have gone with Josh Grelle for Eren.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Papenbrook is so overrated as a voice actor.
Grelle would work,even Chapin or Tindle would have been better as eren. Then Maxey Whitehead would have been perfect as Armin.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: I wouldn't say he's overrated, I've seen him get plenty of hate even from dub fans. He's just cast way to much and can't pull off the angry edgelord teen's they keep casting him as.
Grelle would work,even Chapin or Tindle would have been better as eren.Then Maxey Whitehead would have been perfect as Armin.
Great choice. She would have nailed it.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I would have gone with Josh Grelle for Eren.
Grelle would work,even Chapin or Tindle would have been better as eren.Then Maxey Whitehead would have been perfect as Armin.
Great choice. She would have nailed it.
Even after growing to love Jpn cast going back and forth between Nozawa and Schemel as Goku is still jarring because they are still very different even now. It's the same feeling I get when I hear English Armin and then Japanese Armin or the other way around.