Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does DBZ have the most overhyped anime english dub of all time?

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Grelle would work,even Chapin or Tindle would have been better as eren.Then Maxey Whitehead would have been perfect as Armin.
Great choice. She would have nailed it.
Even after growing to love Jpn cast going back and forth between Nozawa and Schemel as Goku is still jarring because they are still very different even now. It's the same feeling I get when I hear English Armin and then Japanese Armin or the other way around.
This is why dubs like Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote and Code Geass are great because the voices aren't grating.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Great choice. She would have nailed it.
Even after growing to love Jpn cast going back and forth between Nozawa and Schemel as Goku is still jarring because they are still very different even now. It's the same feeling I get when I hear English Armin and then Japanese Armin or the other way around.
This is why dubs like Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote and Code Geass are great because the voices aren't grating.
Not a big fan of three of those dubs. Naruto's voice in English is painfully grating.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am

While on the topic of dubs, does anyone know why the Makankosappo was renamed the Special Beam Cannon, but the Kamehameha kept as is instead of being called the Turtle Destruction Wave?
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:13 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:While on the topic of dubs, does anyone know why the Makankosappo was renamed the Special Beam Cannon, but the Kamehameha kept as is instead of being called the Turtle Destruction Wave?
Unlike some of the other attacks written entirely with kanji signifying intentional meanings, "Kamehameha" is primarily written in phonetic hiragana characters (かめはめ ka - me - ha - me), ending with only a single kanji (波 ha). For the Kamehameha, Toriyama explains:
Akira Toriyama wrote:My wife was the one who named the Kamehameha. I was fretting, saying "Kame-Sen'nin's special attack should be something-or-another ha, something-or-another ha…" and she said "Wouldn't Kamehameha be good?".
As you can see there's no evidence for the hame in there coming from 破滅 (hametsu meaning "destruction" or "ruin"). As such, the somewhat-popular-fan-theory that "Kamehameha" somehow translates to "Turtle Destruction Wave" doesn't really hold any weight. The 波 absolutely means "wave", but the rest of the attack doesn't have the kanji to back up any directly-intentional meaning. It's phonetic gibberish inspired by other syllables in use at the time.

"Kamehame Wave" would, in this case, actually be a perfectly fine "translation" of the attack (and so you can see how "Kamehameha Wave" is as redundant as "PIN number" or "ATM machine").

One could argue that "Kamehameha", being a completely new/fabricated/original word spoken aloud dozens of times over the course of the series, is "iconic" as it is without translation (and as stated above, doesn't really have a translation anyway).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Even after growing to love Jpn cast going back and forth between Nozawa and Schemel as Goku is still jarring because they are still very different even now. It's the same feeling I get when I hear English Armin and then Japanese Armin or the other way around.
Not a big fan of three of those dubs. Naruto's voice in English is painfully grating.
Despite being grating still she captures the same Character in dub like in Japanese version unlike Sean who makes Gokū sound overly angry and gruff sounding nowdays but his chill Gokū is fine.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: This is why dubs like Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote and Code Geass are great because the voices aren't grating.
Despite being grating still she captures the same Character in dub like in Japanese version unlike Sean who makes Gokū sound overly angry and gruff sounding nowdays but his chill Gokū is fine.
I still don't hear any gruffness in Schemmel's Goku.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:28 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Not a big fan of three of those dubs. Naruto's voice in English is painfully grating.
Whenever he get's angry but that's natural, maybe he went a little to masculine in Kai part 1 but in the final chapters he sounds perfect.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't see the problem. It's possible to be both childlike AND masculine. Goku's childlike but he can get very angry.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 pm

ABED wrote:I don't see the problem. It's possible to be both childlike AND masculine. Goku's childlike but he can get very angry.
I don't have a problem with it either, I appreciate both Schemmel and Nozawa. It's just jarring to be accustomed to one voice and then hear the other, like getting used to hearing Sean as Goku in Super for example.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Despite being grating still she captures the same Character in dub like in Japanese version unlike Sean who makes Gokū sound overly angry and gruff sounding nowdays but his chill Gokū is fine.
Whenever he get's angry but that's natural, maybe he went a little to masculine in Kai part 1 but in the final chapters he sounds perfect.
Yeah in Kai 1.0 is where he hardly put any manchild in his voice but in Kai 2.0 he got a lot more natural sounding voice.
ABED wrote:I don't see the problem. It's possible to be both childlike AND masculine. Goku's childlike but he can get very angry.
The thing is when Nozawa switches between Goofy and angry Gokū, it's still Gokū the voice is deeper but still Gokū whereas in Sean's Case, his voice is already masculine and heroic when he deepens it further more it's like hearing a cool Superhero, now I don't have problems with Superheroes but in Goku's Case it's not much fitting, even Latino Gokū doesn't deepen the voice as much as Sean Does.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:49 am

Schemmel is not as deep as Gasman.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:30 am

The thing is when Nozawa switches between Goofy and angry Gokū, it's still Gokū the voice is deeper but still Gokū whereas in Sean's Case, his voice is already masculine and heroic when he deepens it further more it's like hearing a cool Superhero, now I don't have problems with Superheroes but in Goku's Case it's not much fitting, even Latino Gokū doesn't deepen the voice as much as Sean Does.
I don't hear what you're hearing in Kai. What's wrong with deepening his voice? What about Goku means he can't have a deep voice?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:37 am

ABED wrote:
I don't hear what you're hearing in Kai. What's wrong with deepening his voice? What about Goku means he can't have a deep voice?
I never said he cannot but Sean's voice is already very deep compared to other English Gokū voices so if he overly deepens it then it sounds very ungoku like and yes, I still think he hardly put any Manchild in Gokū Voice in Kai 1.0 you can compare his performance yourself and at times it was too Stern and deep voice then required I don't think he really is the Best English Gokū ever I am sure if FUNimation casted Gokū more like how Naruto or other Professional Dubs cast based on Japanese Voices then Sean wouldn't even get picked.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Great choice. She would have nailed it.
Naruto doesn't have voices that are grating? I couldn't bare to even try getting into that show because everyone's voices (especially Naruto) immediately got on my nerves.
Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:
I never said he cannot but Sean's voice is already very deep compared to other English Gokū voices so if he overly deepens it then it sounds very ungoku like and yes, I still think he hardly put any Manchild in Gokū Voice in Kai 1.0 you can compare his performance yourself and at times it was too Stern and deep voice then required I don't think he really is the Best English Gokū ever I am sure if FUNimation casted Gokū more like how Naruto or other Professional Dubs cast based on Japanese Voices then Sean wouldn't even get picked.
To me it seems like your complaint about Schemmel boils down to the fact that he isn't Nozawa. I'm grateful for that, because if we had someone that sounded like Nozawa in the english dub, it would sound incredibly awkward and out of place amongst the other characters. Imagine if Colleen Clinkenbeard went on to voice Gohan in the Buu saga. That would be very strange. In the west, we like our men to sound like men and our women to sound like women. In Japan that line is often blurred in anime. Schemmel is absolutely fine at making Goku go from manchild to serious, and I'm actually glad that you complain he's not manchild enough because in Super that's literally all he is and it gets very annoying to listen to Nozawa be a manchild all the damn time. With Schemmel's deeper voice he can help alleviate this fact and actually make Goku sound a little bit more intelligent and serious at times instead of being as dumb as a shovel in every single possible way in Super which has been a huge complaint, and not just from english dub fans.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Asura wrote:In the west, we like our men to sound like men and our women to sound like women.
This is an incredible generalization that I'd wager has no honest, deeper meaning to it worth getting into here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Asura wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Even after growing to love Jpn cast going back and forth between Nozawa and Schemel as Goku is still jarring because they are still very different even now. It's the same feeling I get when I hear English Armin and then Japanese Armin or the other way around.
Naruto doesn't have voices that are grating? I couldn't bare to even try getting into that show because everyone's voices (especially Naruto) immediately got on my nerves.

Naruto himself as a character is grating and annoying especially in part 1, the characters always comment on how obnoxious and annoying he is, so the actress does a great job in that regard. I re watched part 1 in Japanese and still found him annoying and liked side character's much more.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Asura wrote:In the west, we like our men to sound like men and our women to sound like women.
This is an incredible generalization that I'd wager has no honest, deeper meaning to it worth getting into here.
While there are many child characters in western animation played by women seeing women play grown men is not nearly as common. Only special cases like when a child character like Bart Simpson or Jimmy Neutron is shown in the future as an adult with the same woman still voicing them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:
To me, it also sounds like your issue comes down to Goku not sounding like Nozawa. I think he is the best English speaking Goku as Corlette is a bit too subdued and Kelamis is the epitome of overacting as Goku.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:
I doubt they would cast a woman for Goku if they casted based on the original track.

Sure, Schemmel is deeper than Corlett, Kelamis and Morrow, but he isn't deeper-sounding when compared to David Gasman's Goku. I think you're acting if as Schemmel sounds like Superman, Batman or He-Man.

I will never understand how people can think Schemmel's Goku is deep. THIS is what sounds deep: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/mov ... mus-Prime/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Where in the dub is Schemmel's Goku voice "very deep"? His performance is very much that of a manchild, goofy and high pitched during the chilled and carefree moments, lower and more intense during serious moments and action sequences. Even in the latter there's still a sense of ecstasy in his performance you don't get with any other characters in combat. The level of passion and energy in his screams, small talk and speeches is unrivalled. Schemmel is the best English Goku, without question. I really don't see how his performance is in any way different from Nozawa's. He's not as talented as her, sure, but undoubtedly the closest competitor ever in an English dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: