Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am

What's an "overrated" or "over-hyped" dub? Over-hyped by whom? By the fans? By the companies that put them out? Who over-hyped the DBZ dub? If you're talking about fans who love it, then that's not over-hype, that's fans who love it. There's no such thing as "over-hype" when it comes to fans' opinion. Now if you're talking about Funimation going out and claiming that their dub is the greatest thing in dub history and it fell flat with the fans, then that's "over-hype."

So just because the dub isn't "good" to some people's standards and just because there is a fair percentage of fans who don't like it, does not make it "over-hyped." The fair definition would be if it was promoted (not by fan opinion) to be this big, incredible thing and then it was not received well. That's "over-hyped." If the fans are the ones who are hyping up the dub, it's obviously missing that second element.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 am

That's the wrong way to look at it. Yes, it's an opinion, but I can't consider something overrated because that's an opinion?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:37 am

The problem with the term overhyped is the implication that your opinion is entirely based around the fact that too many people like a thing you don't.

Which makes you seem like a prick.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 am

kemuri07 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Good Timing, I think Cowboy Bebop has the most overrated dub. Its also the most overrated anime but that's not the point here.
Those are fighting words.
Look at the Japanese broadcast while the anime was absolutely fantastic (and one of the few series I ever bought on laserdisc WHILE NEW) it bombed in Japan... sucks, Adult Swim should have ordered more episodes kinda like Toonami did with Big-O.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 am

kemuri07 wrote:The problem with the term overhyped is the implication that your opinion is entirely based around the fact that too many people like a thing you don't.

You don't even have to dislike something to feel it's overrated. It just means your assessment is that something is being rated above what you believe is merited. I enjoy The Dark Knight but I think people rate that film too highly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:23 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Look at the Japanese broadcast while the anime was absolutely fantastic (and one of the few series I ever bought on laserdisc WHILE NEW) it bombed in Japan... sucks, Adult Swim should have ordered more episodes kinda like Toonami did with Big-O.
Yes, CB apparently didn't gain domestic fame until after it was popular overseas (which led to the creation of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"). But, this is the same scenario for Dragon Ball Kai, and look how successful that ended up being worldwide. So, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in initial receptions.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:56 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Good Timing, I think Cowboy Bebop has the most overrated dub. Its also the most overrated anime but that's not the point here.
No, One Piece is more overrated than Cowboy Bebop.
I would have to agree with One Piece being overrated. I do love Cowboy Bebop and I do think it is a great anime. Bebop is not unique and one of a kind among anime of its time as most people make it out to be when you have other anime that are similar to it. I take it no one here is familiar with Gunsmith Cats from Kenichi Sonoda? Gunsmith Cats was the Bebop before Cowboy Bebop.

It had fist-pumping classic jazz music, guns, classic muscle cars and seedy pulp crime fiction before Cowboy Bebop was created. Gunsmith Cats was a popular title throughout most of the 90s and was on Starz back in 1999-2000. Amazing how a great gem from the past is forgotten by most modern fans.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 am

Cowboy Bebop was not a flop in Japan. That's another piece of misinformation nonsense spread by Western fans like how they spread the whole "Watanabe prefers the dub" crap without any proof.

It was one of the highest DVD sellers pre-2000. Japan loves Bebop.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Cowboy Bebop was not a flop in Japan. That's another piece of misinformation nonsense spread by Western fans like how they spread the whole "Watanabe prefers the dub" crap without any proof.

I think the impression that it was not popular in Japan comes from relatively low domestic TV ratings (3.2% ~ 5.6%) and Spike appearing to be killed off early? But yeah, obviously the merchandise sales for Bebop turned out well. I mean Watanabe got to direct quite a few shows after CB.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm

I was told that Cowboy Bebop is popular in Japan and I hear it did very well on Blu-Ray in Japan too. Western style action shows and manga are pretty popular in the 90's in Japan since Gunsmith Cats was a popular manga too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:41 pm

ABED wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:The problem with the term overhyped is the implication that your opinion is entirely based around the fact that too many people like a thing you don't.

You don't even have to dislike something to feel it's overrated. It just means your assessment is that something is being rated above what you believe is merited. I enjoy The Dark Knight but I think people rate that film too highly.
You're not wrong, but too often overhyped is used indicate that something basically sucks.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
No, One Piece is more overrated than Cowboy Bebop.
I would have to agree with One Piece being overrated. I do love Cowboy Bebop and I do think it is a great anime. Bebop is not unique and one of a kind among anime of its time as most people make it out to be when you have other anime that are similar to it. I take it no one here is familiar with Gunsmith Cats from Kenichi Sonoda? Gunsmith Cats was the Bebop before Cowboy Bebop.

It had fist-pumping classic jazz music, guns, classic muscle cars and seedy pulp crime fiction before Cowboy Bebop was created. Gunsmith Cats was a popular title throughout most of the 90s and was on Starz back in 1999-2000. Amazing how a great gem from the past is forgotten by most modern fans.

In terms of how the show was presented, I'd say, yeah, "Cowboy Bebop" certainly is "one of a kind." Because, while, you're not wrong, Cowboy Bebop certainly contains Jazz and guns, but it's not the sole reason why Cowboy Bebop remains "that show you show your friend because he hates anime" for all these years: it has to do with its sense of style, how it presents its storytelling, and how "shows" character development without drowning the audience in exposition. It's a damn good show that I find that, as I get older, find more and more reasons why Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece. Might not the be the best anime, but that doesn't stop it from being amazing.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Cowboy Bebop was not a flop in Japan. That's another piece of misinformation nonsense spread by Western fans like how they spread the whole "Watanabe prefers the dub" crap without any proof.

I based my reasoning on actual tv ratings, the TV ratings for bebop were pretty low.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 pm

That was cause of outside factors. After the Pokemon shock incident, TV stations got stricter with content and a real life knife incident during Bebop's airing caused problems. The show suffered resulting in heavy editing/censorship and got cancelled without completion.The whole info in detail. The content of the show wasn't the cause of average ratings.

It aired later on WOWOW satellite channel on a late night time slot which was the ideal slot for it and was well received. Late night anime's main source of income and success guarantee are DVD/BDs, not ratings. In Bebop's case, it was VHS/DVD cause BD wasn't out then and it sold amazingly. It was a success.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:02 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:While it certainly isn't the worst anime dub, I would agree that it's the most overrated. As many have already stated, the people that praise the old Dragon Ball dubs will often (though not always) write off high quality modern dubs such as those for One Piece, My Hero Academia, and will even condemn Dragon Ball Z Kai for its new voices and lack of Faulconer music. On the other hand, while there are plenty of dubs that I don't think are very good, the only anime that I will explicitly tell people to watch in Japanese is Dragon Ball.
My Hero Academia has a very underappreciated dub, I think Sabat is better as All Might than he is for Piccolo or Vegeta.
Agreed, Sabat Does a way better All might than His Piccolo and Vegata because that gruff and hulky voice fits him better.

These Types of Rumours really annoy the hell out of me when dub fans say statements like that without any Evidence and also, I think the Japanese version of Cowboy Bebop was better specially when Main Protagonist is voiced by Koichi Yamadera and Villain is voiced by Norio Wakamoto lol it's Basically Beerus vs Cell for Dragon Ball fans
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 am

I think all dubs might be awesome if you just apply context to it. I personally experienced 3 different phases of the show. My first experience was from about '95-2002 watching it in the Spanish/Mexican Dub. Then Cartoon Network started showing it a lot in English, so I got to experience the FUNI Dub from about '02-'08 with the Faulconer BGM. And ever since the Dragonbox releases(And my subsequent discovery of these forums) I have frequently watched the series either subbed, or with the FUNI dub w/original BGM.
El Conejo Malo

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

Bardo117 wrote:I think all dubs might be awesome if you just apply context to it. I personally experienced 3 different phases of the show. My first experience was from about '95-2002 watching it in the Spanish/Mexican Dub. Then Cartoon Network started showing it a lot in English, so I got to experience the FUNI Dub from about '02-'08 with the Faulconer BGM. And ever since the Dragonbox releases(And my subsequent discovery of these forums) I have frequently watched the series either subbed, or with the FUNI dub w/original BGM.
What about Funi's Kai dub?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
While Bebop is a genuinely good dub, I feel several dubs are on par with it such as fate/zero, code geass, black lagoon and Steins Gate to name a few. The reason they don't get talked about as much mainly has to do with the time period they where released in.
The Black Lagoon dub is amazing. Maryke Hendrikse is phenomenal as Revy, fits her like a glove. Saffron Henderson is also very funny as Shenhua.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
While Bebop is a genuinely good dub, I feel several dubs are on par with it such as fate/zero, code geass, black lagoon and Steins Gate to name a few. The reason they don't get talked about as much mainly has to do with the time period they where released in.
The Black Lagoon dub is amazing. Maryke Hendrikse is phenomenal as Revy, fits her like a glove. Saffron Henderson is also very funny as Shenhua.
I've also watched a bit of the Japanese, and while the voice work is good It's a bit difficult to take scenes like this seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: While Bebop is a genuinely good dub, I feel several dubs are on par with it such as fate/zero, code geass, black lagoon and Steins Gate to name a few. The reason they don't get talked about as much mainly has to do with the time period they where released in.
I've also watched a bit of the Japanese, and while the voice work is good It's a bit difficult to take scenes like this seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws
She sounds Russian. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DragonBallKing wrote:My Hero Academia has a very underappreciated dub, I think Sabat is better as All Might than he is for Piccolo or Vegeta.
I've been watching My Hero Academia lately. I've seen it mostly in Japanese, but I've also seen some episodes in English, and I have to say that Sabat's All Might is better than his Piccolo and Vegeta. I think there are people who could play those two better than him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.