Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Does DBZ have the most overhyped anime english dub of all time?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:37 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Atleast those dubs never butchered the Heart and Soul of the Show and turning their main Protagonist into a cliche Superhero bragging about Justice all the time and villains saying "whatever turn you on" or "pop goes the weasel"
Sure, but the voice acting in Odex and Animax dubs make the old Z dub look like Laurence Olivier.
What anime's did they dub, for research purposes?
They dubbed anime such as Inuyasha, One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!, I believe.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sure, but the voice acting in Odex and Animax dubs make the old Z dub look like Laurence Olivier.
What anime's did they dub, for research purposes?
They dubbed anime such as Inuyasha, One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!, I believe.
Here in my Country when Animax used to Air we had Naruto, Fairy Tale, Yu Yu Hakusho and K-ON! Dubbed but I think Script wise they were very accurate and voice acting was way better than that Z FUNi Dub which sounded more like a Low Budget Fandub Parody than a Dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 pm

If you want overhyped look no further than Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, however personally the only examples where I legitimately prefer the English Dub.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Something that doesn't help the over-hype of the English dub is that the dub on the DVDs isn't the fun, silly thing that aired on Toonami in 1998-2002, it's the redubbed version that fans either find pretty cool(Usually only apples to the Ultimate Uncut dub from 2006), or hate with a passion(Usually only applies to the frankendub redubs from 2007 onwards), with the remaining stuff from 1999-2002 being what the fans actually like, a lot of which isn't available to see.

I think the dub would get a lot less hate if we'd had Saban continue to the end of the series, not because of the Ocean actors, the Ron Wasserman soundtrack, or anything like that, but because that would still be available today in its original form, honestly presented as that nostalgic, fun, goofy thing people loved in the late '90s, warts and all. It was a cut dub, so if they wanted to screw with it like they did with the Funi dub with Ultimate Uncut and such, they'd have to either re-record everything, or somehow dig out all the original multitrack tapes, re-record all the missing dialogue aswell as the more extreme cases of censorship, and have all characters who were recast whose actors don't want to return to do the redub get all their lines redubbed by one of their replacements, and then it'd all have to be re-synced to the uncut footage, and they'd probably have to supply some kind of recut of the Ron Wasserman score as an alternate soundtrack to appease the OG dub fans.
So, they probably either wouldn't have bothered, or would have done a complete redub for any uncut releases. Either way, it would present the original dub as its own product which would be judged on its own merits as that fun thing from the '90s, rather like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon or the 4Kids dub of Pokémon, and if they did do some kind of uncut redub, that would then be judged on its own merits as a second crack at doing Dragon Ball, and that's probably the one that would get the hate for various inevitable shortcomings it would have(Again, just like Sailor Moon).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If you want overhyped look no further than Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, however personally the only examples where I legitimately prefer the English Dub.
What makes you prefer them? Is it the western setting because those dubs seem to receive less flack as well.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:When you compare it to other anime dubs in the 90s, I'd say the hype is justified. It was one of the best of its time, imo.

Nowadays, I feel the Buu and Cell sagas hold up well. Kai dub is great, minus the horrific soundtrack.
Even in the 90's and early 00's it wasn't special, Evangelion and ghost in the shell where dubbed in 96 and set the standard for accuracy in dubs, the Bebop came in 99 and set the standard for good voice acting. The old dub had neither, but your free to like it if you want.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:When you compare it to other anime dubs in the 90s, I'd say the hype is justified. It was one of the best of its time, imo.

Nowadays, I feel the Buu and Cell sagas hold up well. Kai dub is great, minus the horrific soundtrack.
One of the best of its time? Not even close.
Correction: one the best that debuted on Toonami at that time, along with Yu Yu Hakusho.

It holds no candles on the Cowboy Bebop dub.
Gundam Wing aired at the same time and it's dub ran circles around the DBZ dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:49 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Even in the 90's and early 00's it wasn't special, Evangelion and ghost in the shell where dubbed in 96 and set the standard for accuracy in dubs, the Bebop came in 99 and set the standard for good voice acting. The old dub had neither, but your free to like it if you want.
8000 Saiyan wrote: One of the best of its time? Not even close.
Correction: one the best that debuted on Toonami at that time, along with Yu Yu Hakusho.

Eh, it was okay. The voice actors could have done much better if they had a better director and scripts that were not that stiff. But Gundam is one of those shows that is not very fun to dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:05 pm

^ I grant you it certainly hasn't aged well. Both as a dub and as a show. However, it's still better than dbz's dub by every standard. That's what I'm trying to say.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: One of the best of its time? Not even close.

Gundam Wing dub was pretty awful. Have you rewatched that recently?

Though if we're comparing based on accuracy alone, then I get where you're coming from
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:31 am

I thought yu yu hakusho debuted on adult swim then was moved to toonami?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Though if we're comparing based on accuracy alone, then I get where you're coming from
I thought McNeil, Kaye and Drummond did pretty good in their roles.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Gundam Wing dub was pretty awful. Have you rewatched that recently?

I already acknowledged it hasn't exactly aged well voice acting wise. That said, it was still a better dub than DBZ's by every objective standard.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:42 am

Robo4900 wrote: I think the dub would get a lot less hate if we'd had Saban continue to the end of the series, not because of the Ocean actors, the Ron Wasserman soundtrack, or anything like that, but because that would still be available today in its original form, honestly presented as that nostalgic, fun, goofy thing people loved in the late '90s, warts and all. It was a cut dub, so if they wanted to screw with it like they did with the Funi dub with Ultimate Uncut and such, they'd have to either re-record everything, or somehow dig out all the original multitrack tapes, re-record all the missing dialogue aswell as the more extreme cases of censorship, and have all characters who were recast whose actors don't want to return to do the redub get all their lines redubbed by one of their replacements, and then it'd all have to be re-synced to the uncut footage, and they'd probably have to supply some kind of recut of the Ron Wasserman score as an alternate soundtrack to appease the OG dub fans.
So, they probably either wouldn't have bothered, or would have done a complete redub for any uncut releases. Either way, it would present the original dub as its own product which would be judged on its own merits as that fun thing from the '90s, rather like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon or the 4Kids dub of Pokémon, and if they did do some kind of uncut redub, that would then be judged on its own merits as a second crack at doing Dragon Ball, and that's probably the one that would get the hate for various inevitable shortcomings it would have(Again, just like Sailor Moon).
In the 1990s Pioneer had the rights to produce an uncut subtitled version which they used to produce the uncut movie dubs. Had the Saban version of the series not fell through, they likely would have continued releasing Funi/Saban's TV version of the series and eventually started production on their own uncut version of the series using the Ocean cast, which they also would've released themselves. I think the movie dubs were essentially their way of fulfilling their contractual obligation by spending the least amount of money as possible. Dubbing uncut episodes would have cost more to produce than the 3 movies did and DBZ still wasn't deemed to be a lucrative investment at the time.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Gundam Wing aired at the same time and it's dub ran circles around the DBZ dub.

Overall I'd say it's still more professionally produced than Funi's Z dub. The only cringeworthy voice that springs to mind from GW is General Septum (a minor character) but Sabat's Z voices aren't far off from being just as ridiculous and he's in two main roles. GW had a larger cast of experienced actors to work with and it was directed with the original score in mind whereas the Funi Z dub dialogue often clashes with the tone of the original score, as it was just an afterthought for them.

I agree the directing and script could have been better in GW as there are a lot of flat performances but the original Japanese version wasn't much better from what I saw of it. The English version feels somewhat dated but it's at least well cast, tolerable and remains faithful (even at times to its own detriment).

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 am

NitroEX wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I think the dub would get a lot less hate if we'd had Saban continue to the end of the series, not because of the Ocean actors, the Ron Wasserman soundtrack, or anything like that, but because that would still be available today in its original form, honestly presented as that nostalgic, fun, goofy thing people loved in the late '90s, warts and all. It was a cut dub, so if they wanted to screw with it like they did with the Funi dub with Ultimate Uncut and such, they'd have to either re-record everything, or somehow dig out all the original multitrack tapes, re-record all the missing dialogue aswell as the more extreme cases of censorship, and have all characters who were recast whose actors don't want to return to do the redub get all their lines redubbed by one of their replacements, and then it'd all have to be re-synced to the uncut footage, and they'd probably have to supply some kind of recut of the Ron Wasserman score as an alternate soundtrack to appease the OG dub fans.
In the 1990s Pioneer had the rights to produce an uncut subtitled version which they used to produce the uncut movie dubs. Had the Saban version of the series not fell through, they likely would have continued releasing Funi/Saban's TV version of the series and eventually started production on their own uncut version of the series using the Ocean cast, which they also would've released themselves. I think the movie dubs were essentially their way of fulfilling their contractual obligation by spending the least amount of money as possible. Dubbing uncut episodes would have cost more to produce than the 3 movies did and DBZ still wasn't deemed to be a lucrative investment at the time.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Gundam Wing aired at the same time and it's dub ran circles around the DBZ dub.

Overall I'd say it's still more professionally produced than Funi's Z dub. The only cringeworthy voice that springs to mind from GW is General Septum (a minor character) but Sabat's Z voices aren't far off from being just as ridiculous and he's in two main roles. GW had a larger cast of experienced actors to work with and it was directed with the original score in mind whereas the Funi Z dub dialogue often clashes with the tone of the original score, as it was just an afterthought for them.

I agree the directing and script could have been better in GW as there are a lot of flat performances but the original Japanese version wasn't much better from what I saw of it. The English version feels somewhat dated but it's at least well cast, tolerable and remains faithful (even at times to its own detriment).
Gundam Wing is kind of overrated as a show anyway. Most of the cast is pretty bland.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:05 am

The dub for Gundam Wing is terrific, but the show is overrated and incredibly convoluted. Say what you will about DB's simplicity, but at least I knew what the characters wanted.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:19 am

ABED wrote:The dub for Gundam Wing is terrific, but the show is overrated and incredibly convoluted. Say what you will about DB's simplicity, but at least I knew what the characters wanted.
I don't mind Dragon Ball being simple. A cartoon being complex doesn't exactly make it good or better than a simple one.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am

There's a big difference between complex and convoluted. Gundam Wing is convoluted.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:12 am

ABED wrote:There's a big difference between complex and convoluted. Gundam Wing is convoluted.
I know. I was just saying that complex doesn't always mean better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:16 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:There's a big difference between complex and convoluted. Gundam Wing is convoluted.
I know. I was just saying that complex doesn't always mean better.
KISS - Keep it simple stupid. Great advice; hurts my feelings every time. I enjoy complex plots as much as the next person, but character motivations boil down to a simple truth - people want something.

Back to the actual topic, no, DBZ doesn't have the most overhyped dub. I don't know what it would be as I don't watch much anime.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If you want overhyped look no further than Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, however personally the only examples where I legitimately prefer the English Dub.
What makes you prefer them? Is it the western setting because those dubs seem to receive less flack as well.
I at least think English Bebop deserves praise for getting good actors who played the parts believably. My only quibble about people praising Bebop's dub is that they don't ever listen to the original version, which has some superb acting. It's really worth checking both versions out if you're a fan.

As for the DBZ dub topic, maybe? I remember when the DBZ dub got a ton of hate, too. It seems to only be "overhyped" within a certain part of the fanbase, i.e. the fans who were exposed to Dragon Ball via Cartoon Network in the late 90s.