Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyStIc GoTeNkS

Re: Does DBZ have the most overhyped anime english dub of all time?

Post by MyStIc GoTeNkS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm

i dont usually watch anime other than dragon ball and dbz was pretty much the only anime i was interested in for a long time and i grew up on the dub which i was a huge fan of, which is the case I'm sure for tons of other people here in america so maybe that can give you some insight as to why the dub is as hyped as it is. as far as the things you claimed in your post about funimation dubbing worse than they did 15 years ago? idk about that

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If you want overhyped look no further than Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, however personally the only examples where I legitimately prefer the English Dub.
What makes you prefer them? Is it the western setting because those dubs seem to receive less flack as well.
I at least think English Bebop deserves praise for getting good actors who played the parts believably. My only quibble about people praising Bebop's dub is that they don't ever listen to the original version, which has some superb acting. It's really worth checking both versions out if you're a fan.

As for the DBZ dub topic, maybe? I remember when the DBZ dub got a ton of hate, too. It seems to only be "overhyped" within a certain part of the fanbase, i.e. the fans who were exposed to Dragon Ball via Cartoon Network in the late 90s.
Is there any truth to the rumor that Watanabe preferred the dub of Bebop, or was that just some BS it's fanboy's made up.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 am

LuckyCat wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If you want overhyped look no further than Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, however personally the only examples where I legitimately prefer the English Dub.
What makes you prefer them? Is it the western setting because those dubs seem to receive less flack as well.
I at least think English Bebop deserves praise for getting good actors who played the parts believably. My only quibble about people praising Bebop's dub is that they don't ever listen to the original version, which has some superb acting. It's really worth checking both versions out if you're a fan.

As for the DBZ dub topic, maybe? I remember when the DBZ dub got a ton of hate, too. It seems to only be "overhyped" within a certain part of the fanbase, i.e. the fans who were exposed to Dragon Ball via Cartoon Network in the late 90s.
Yeah, the original version of Bebop is great. Koichi Yamadera, Megumi Hayashibara, Unsho Ishizuka, Norio Wakamoto and Gara Takashima are all excellent.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:02 am

While it certainly isn't the worst anime dub, I would agree that it's the most overrated. As many have already stated, the people that praise the old Dragon Ball dubs will often (though not always) write off high quality modern dubs such as those for One Piece, My Hero Academia, and will even condemn Dragon Ball Z Kai for its new voices and lack of Faulconer music. On the other hand, while there are plenty of dubs that I don't think are very good, the only anime that I will explicitly tell people to watch in Japanese is Dragon Ball.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:19 am

If you are talking about the original funi dub, then yes. Some fans won't admit that Kai is a better dub due to nostalgia.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 am

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:There's a big difference between complex and convoluted. Gundam Wing is convoluted.
I know. I was just saying that complex doesn't always mean better.
KISS - Keep it simple stupid. Great advice; hurts my feelings every time. I enjoy complex plots as much as the next person, but character motivations boil down to a simple truth - people want something.

Back to the actual topic, no, DBZ doesn't have the most overhyped dub. I don't know what it would be as I don't watch much anime.
I haven't watched Gundam wings but What's your Opinion on Naruto/Naruto Shippuden?
Is it Convulated or Complex and how does it compares to Dragon Ball?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

I haven't seen Naruto. The anime I've seen are all of DB/Z/Kai/GT, Yu Yu Hakusho, Street Fighter II V, and Gundam Wing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:31 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Is there any truth to the rumor that Watanabe preferred the dub of Bebop, or was that just some BS it's fanboy's made up.
There's no source for that, so I can't say it's true. But, two things to consider: (1) Wantanabe was very hands-on in the creation of the Japanese version including working with the VAs and (2) Wantanabe barely speaks any English.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 am

ABED wrote:I haven't seen Naruto. The anime I've seen are all of DB/Z/Kai/GT, Yu Yu Hakusho, Street Fighter II V, and Gundam Wing.
You should check out Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 am

FMA was boring and I couldn't get further than 15 episodes before checking out.

I forgot, I finished Death Note and while I am glad to have finished it, I didn't care for it. If ever there was an overrated anime and dub, it's that one. The acting was good but by god was that story dragged out.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 am

Oh than check out Brotherhood than it's much better.

I watched the sub version, I felt they complimented the characters far more than the dub, to me Light's voice didn't match his character or look. It's sounds too angsty and loud.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

I think FMA is alright, but I don't think it is the best thing ever made. I use to like the series when I was a teenager in the mid-late 2000's, but I grew out of the series. I didn't think Brotherhood is much better.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:54 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Is there any truth to the rumor that Watanabe preferred the dub of Bebop, or was that just some BS it's fanboy's made up.
There's no source for that, so I can't say it's true. But, two things to consider: (1) Wantanabe was very hands-on in the creation of the Japanese version including working with the VAs and (2) Wantanabe barely speaks any English.
I thought so, Bebop has a good dub but it's fanboy's that hype it up are annoying.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:57 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Oh than check out Brotherhood than it's much better.

I watched the sub version, I felt they complimented the characters far more than the dub, to me Light's voice didn't match his character or look. It's sounds too angsty and loud.
Well Light is an immature kid with a god complex who just happens to be really smart, so I thought Brad Swaile gave a great performance and that's not to discredit Miyano's Light he's great as well.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Good Timing, I think Cowboy Bebop has the most overrated dub. Its also the most overrated anime but that's not the point here.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Good Timing, I think Cowboy Bebop has the most overrated dub. Its also the most overrated anime but that's not the point here.
While Bebop is a genuinely good dub, I feel several dubs are on par with it such as fate/zero, code geass, black lagoon and Steins Gate to name a few. The reason they don't get talked about as much mainly has to do with the time period they where released in.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:While it certainly isn't the worst anime dub, I would agree that it's the most overrated. As many have already stated, the people that praise the old Dragon Ball dubs will often (though not always) write off high quality modern dubs such as those for One Piece, My Hero Academia, and will even condemn Dragon Ball Z Kai for its new voices and lack of Faulconer music. On the other hand, while there are plenty of dubs that I don't think are very good, the only anime that I will explicitly tell people to watch in Japanese is Dragon Ball.
My Hero Academia has a very underappreciated dub, I think Sabat is better as All Might than he is for Piccolo or Vegeta.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Nostalgia is the most likely factor for DBZ being an exception from bashing but I've never heard DBZ exempted from dub-bashing. In fact, everyone, here and in the world outside, generally makes fun of DBZ's dub.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Good Timing, I think Cowboy Bebop has the most overrated dub. Its also the most overrated anime but that's not the point here.
No, One Piece is more overrated than Cowboy Bebop.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 am

Those are fighting words.