When you were a kid did you think Freeza was a woman?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: When you were a kid did you think Freeza was a woman?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:21 am

For the people watching the English dubs, did the constant "he" not clue you in?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:For the people watching the English dubs, did the constant "he" not clue you in?
You would think it would. But Linda's voice was so damn convincing. especially the first form and the 4th form looking feminine to an extent.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:52 pm

I never saw Freeza as a guy or girl as a kid. The voice and the pronouns confused me so I just decided to think he was neither. :lol:
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Nah, got introduced to the character via DBZ Budokai 1, and since I'm a European, we got the Japanese voices, where his voice is clearly masculine. Furthermore when the Danish dub got around to dubbing the Freeza arc, they gave Freeza an even more masculine voice, so there never was any doubt him being a male character.
Even further by that time I had already seen a lot of PowerPuff Girls, where "Him" was clearly androgynous and a crossdresser, but still a male with quite the masculine voice, when angry, so Freeza's appearance didn't make me think of him as a woman either, which got even clearer, when he had a fit male physique under that armor and no boobs.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:For the people watching the English dubs, did the constant "he" not clue you in?
Some folks miss those. Buddy of mine didn't know Nermal from Garfield was male due to him being voiced by a woman in Garfield and Friends and didn't realize until he was voiced by a man in The Garfield Show, despite the former's always use of male pronouns regarding him.

Besides always noticing the male pronouns, another thing with Frieza I noticed was his goons addressing him as "Master Frieza" in season 2, and "Lord Frieza" in Funimation's dub. While the former, you do hear at times with women instead of "Mistress", you usually don't hear women addressed by Lord unless it's part of a fancy title a la "feudal lord" or "Fire Lord".

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:40 am

BOY LET ME TELL YOU WHAT MY DUMB HORNY ASS AT 14 LEARNED ON RULE 34
NO REGRETS

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:17 am

I heard him referred to with "he" and "him" and that took precedence over his voice/appearance, but I did have friends who thought he was female. I have always thought of him as basically neither male or female though. Piccolo isn't male either, nor Cell, and likely a lot of Freeza's minions aren't male. Some of those characters have more gendered appearances/voices than others, but I think basically we just call them "he" because "it" sounds impersonal?

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Not kidding; the Hindi (Indian) dub of Dragon Ball Z actually made Freeza a woman. He always used a feminine pronoun whenever he referred to himself. :lol: :lol:

I've seen it in a few languages, but as a kid I never thought he was a woman. I saw a lot of classic Biblical movies as a kid and always saw him as a tyrant with one of those "high-pitched, spoilt-kid" voices.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:39 pm

I grew up with the Latino dub in Mexico where he has a pretty manly voice so I never had that issue. When I moved to the states I remember hating Freeza's English dub voice because of how jarring the change was. Also, I didn't think the performance fit the character, especially when comparing it with the much more serious and sophisticated performance from Mexico. Although as an adult I can appreciate the goofiness of it all when it comes to the FUNI dub.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I sure did. Even my dad asked "is that a girl?" when he caught me watching DBZ one time.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:57 am

To be honest Freeza also reminds me of The Joker from Batman. Must be the all white face in Freeza's last form.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:20 am

No, never. His voice in brazilian portuguese version is incredibly rough (I don't know if I'm using the right term). But I did think Shun, from Saint Seiya, was a woman, in the first moment.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I don't know why, but the first time I saw him I thought he was a robot.
Maybe the hover chair?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I looked at Freeza as a male because he was constantly referred to as "he." When I first saw him, I feel like I kind of got it. Despite the female voice and the "lipstick" and whatnot, I always looked at Freeza as an alien and aliens can be completely different to our own knowledge of anatomy, voices, etc. I never really thought about it, to be honest.

Just a funny thing that I noticed is that there seems to be a pretty funny thing about some fans hating that a female voices Goku but have zero problem with a female voicing Freeza and then there's the vice versa view. That's so funny.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:28 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:I don't know why, but the first time I saw him I thought he was a robot.
Maybe the hover chair?
His body gave off a synthetic/metallic vibe, especially his bulky shiny purple dome with horns.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Just a funny thing that I noticed is that there seems to be a pretty funny thing about some fans hating that a female voices Goku but have zero problem with a female voicing Freeza and then there's the vice versa view. That's so funny.
Not really, in my opinion Nowazawa doesn't fit Goku. While a female voice actor (I don't know the VA's name) for someone like Frieza completely fits him.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:10 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Not kidding; the Hindi (Indian) dub of Dragon Ball Z actually made Freeza a woman. He always used a feminine pronoun whenever he referred to himself. :lol: :lol:

I've seen it in a few languages, but as a kid I never thought he was a woman. I saw a lot of classic Biblical movies as a kid and always saw him as a tyrant with one of those "high-pitched, spoilt-kid" voices.
I also grew up with the Hindi Dub which was based On FUNi Dub so we had a female voice for Freeza and I remember everyone referring to him as her but the only time Freeza was referred to as Him in Hindi dub was in his Second Form where he had a Deep voice but that's it.
Kanassa wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:
Not really, in my opinion Nowazawa doesn't fit Goku. While a female voice actor (I don't know the VA's name) for someone like Frieza completely fits him.
Why do you think Nozawa's Voice don't fit Goku's cheerful innocent Child-yet-adult nature but for some Reason Linda Young's Scratchy old Witch Voice fitting Someone like Freeza?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:Not kidding; the Hindi (Indian) dub of Dragon Ball Z actually made Freeza a woman. He always used a feminine pronoun whenever he referred to himself. :lol: :lol:

I also grew up with the Hindi Dub which was based On FUNi Dub so we had a female voice for Freeza and I remember everyone referring to him as her but the only time Freeza was referred to as Him in Hindi dub was in his Second Form where he had a Deep voice but that's it.
Kanassa wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:
Why do you think Nozawa's Voice don't fit Goku's cheerful innocent Child-yet-adult nature but for some Reason Linda Young's Scratchy old Witch Voice fitting Someone like Freeza?
I personally think Pauline Newstone did a decent job of sounding aristocratic and emperor-like, though I suppose it would be more empress-like. It's still not perfect but I could see a female actress working for Freeza If she sounds a bit more masculine and gets the point across that he's a sophisticated polite space emperor. Linda Young however just sounded like Rita Repulsa from power rangers.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:52 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

Kanassa wrote: Not really, in my opinion Nowazawa doesn't fit Goku. While a female voice actor (I don't know the VA's name) for someone like Frieza completely fits him.
I personally think Pauline Newstone did a decent job of sounding aristocratic and emperor-like, though I suppose it would be more empress-like. It's still not perfect but I could see a female actress working for Freeza If she sounds a bit more masculine and gets the point across that he's a sophisticated polite space emperor. Linda Young however just sounded like Rita Repulsa from power rangers.
For me, Chris Ayres is best Freeza but I agree Newstone was better than Young and if you listen to Linda Young's First Form Freeza voice, all you will hear will be Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho that's how bad Voice Actress she was, I mean she is okay with voicing Old woman but that's it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am

Although I think a female Freeza-like villain could certainly work in DB. The closest to a female villain we've really had is 18, and she was not all that evil (except for her future incarnation).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147