When you were a kid did you think Freeza was a woman?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

When you were a kid did you think Freeza was a woman?

Post by precita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:06 pm

When you were a kid how many of you thought Freeza was possibly a girl? Between his dub voice, his lips looking like "lipstick," and his effeminate nature, I almost thought he was a woman at first.

It wasn't until I saw characters in show calling Freeeza "he" or "him" that it became obvious he was male. This was before most of us went on the internet too for that matter.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: When you were a kid did you think Freeza was a woman?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:13 pm

No, because I didn't watch Dragon Ball as a kid and he doesn't have a woman's voice in the Portuguese dub; he has the voice of a man desperately trying to sound like a woman.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:14 pm

I always thought he was my grandma (At this point, eight-year-old me was already suspicious that she was secretly an alien, so...)
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 pm

I thought he was a woman. It was a combination of the english dub voice from Linda Young, and of course the lipstick. I didn't realize he was a guy until well into the fight between SSJ Goku and Full power freeza.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Sort of, parly because female actors were given HIS voice in the English dub.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Nope, the japanese voice didn't sound feminine, he didn't have boobs, he was adressed as a lord in my native language, and his name had male specific letters at the end of it in my language.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:08 pm

I used to think he was genderless, kind of like envy from FMA. In the dub everyone refers to him as male, but Linda Young made him sound like an old witch with a sore throat. His dub voice coupled with the mannerisms and lipstick, It's easy to see my some would mistake him for a woman.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Can't say I ever did. It was the Majin Boo arc in English that got me hooked on "DBZ" as a teenager, and it didn't take long after that for me to dive headfirst onto the internet on a stupendous pilgrimage for more Dragon Ball knowledge. That involved watching a lot of old video clips of stuff in Japanese, so it's very possible that I was exposed to the real Freeza, voiced by Ryusei Nakao, before I ever heard any of the butchered English version voiced by Linda Young.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 pm

No, simply because physically he didn't look like a woman.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:23 pm

My first exposure to DBZ was with the mexican dub and Frieza doesn't sound like a woman in that one so no, I never thought Frieza was a woman even when I first heard the FUNi/Ocean Dub version. More like, I was wondering why he sounds like a woman in this one, when I knew he wasn't.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm still a kid, though :P . Yeah, I did think Freeza as a female, during when I played the Budokai games, it was possibly during Budokai 3? He had the unfitting Linda Young voice. Eventually, I soon realized that Freeza was a male, due to the fact that he was consistently, and constantly refereed to with male pronouns by the cast, the manga, the movies, and in every other Dragon Ball Material. Also, his body shape was of a male, and not of a female.
Last edited by Gog on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:35 pm

I thought he was a woman as well, like some kind of evil alien queen.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:38 pm

I did at first. His first form is fairly androgynous and with the hover chair, pale color scheme and small frame, he gives the impression of an elderly woman. Once he transforms into his second form and beyond, I think it becomes much more clear that he's male.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:No, simply because physically he didn't look like a woman.
You don't think his first form looked feminine?

Everything about his first and final forms gives that vibe of being somewhat feminine.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Initially, before I knew anything about the show, yeah.

He looked and sounded like Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers, I presumed Freeza was also both elderly and a woman.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:34 am

At first I did, but then realized he was just really flamboyant, but not styling like the Ginyu Force.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:38 am

I've never really got a feminine vibe from Frieza, apart from his voice. He/ she's always just shouted "genderless" to me.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 am

precita wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:No, simply because physically he didn't look like a woman.
You don't think his first form looked feminine?

Everything about his first and final forms gives that vibe of being somewhat feminine.
Dark lips, that's all that's feminine about him. Unless you mean the pink colors, which is another subject :roll:

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 am

I don't know why, but the first time I saw him I thought he was a robot.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 am

At first glance, yes. I though Freeza was a woman as a kid. But then I saw Freeza transform and then power up and I didn't see any boobs getting bigger, so I thought, "Yeah. He's a dude. He just talks like a lady."