Who could be Masako Nozawa’s successor?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Who could be Masako Nozawa’s successor?

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Agreed, that's the most closest Voice to Nozawa.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:30 pm

precita wrote:No one. After Nozawa retired or passes away, Dragonball should come to an end. For stuff like the videogames they now have millions of sound clips of Goku from old episodes or videogames they can re-use.

Japan would never recast an iconic character as Goku. It is blasphemy in Japan especially for the main character. When Nozawa dies, Dragonball dies with her. Toriyama would probably agree as well.
Dragon Ball is a cash cow franchise that will keep making money decades after Nozawa is dead and buried.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:45 pm

People voiced bugs bunny after Mel Blanc died and the same thing will happen with Nozawa. It's a sad but true thing.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:50 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
precita wrote:No one. After Nozawa retired or passes away, Dragonball should come to an end. For stuff like the videogames they now have millions of sound clips of Goku from old episodes or videogames they can re-use.

Japan would never recast an iconic character as Goku. It is blasphemy in Japan especially for the main character. When Nozawa dies, Dragonball dies with her. Toriyama would probably agree as well.
Dragon Ball is a cash cow franchise that will keep making money decades after Nozawa is dead and buried.
But you have to keep in Mind that She is a major icon in Japanese Anime Industry and one of the reasons why old DB Fans are even intrested in watching Super at this point, there is a high chance that they wouldn't recast her.
DragonBallKing wrote:People voiced bugs bunny after Mel Blanc died and the same thing will happen with Nozawa. It's a sad but true thing.
Yes I agree Mel Blanc was a big name but you have to keep in mind that Japan has a different culture, they don't really like replacing Iconic voice actors and unless it's neccessity they prefer not to replace them and often consider replacing them disrespectful.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Although America tends to replace voice actors a lot in their franchises, they don't like to replace Peter Cullen with another actor for Optimus Prime, although they've done it like three times.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:50 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:

Dragonball went 18 years without any new material besides videogame stuff and one-off specials. It's entirely likely that franchise stops making new episodes again after Super ends and they call it quits.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:18 pm

About male actors, I think on Kappei Yamaguchi and Yuki Kaji. I would like to see Katsuyuki Konishi, but he already voices Ginyu.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 am

precita wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Dragonball went 18 years without any new material besides videogame stuff and one-off specials. It's entirely likely that franchise stops making new episodes again after Super ends and they call it quits.
Nozawa is Nozawa, I bet they will rather not recast goku irrespective of how much talented Ogata or Park are because still they wouldn't be the same for the native Audience and for them that's all that matters, I think they will just release video games here and there by using Nozawa's old Recordings but that's it.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:10 am

DragonBallKing wrote:What makes you think Kugimiya would be a good choice especially for Goku. Sure Goku has a higher voice then the other males on the show but Nozawa's voice is still on the deeper side for women voicing males. The only male role I've heard from Kugimiya is Al, can she go lower than that?
I think she can go lower than Al.
SaintEvolution wrote:About male actors, I think on Kappei Yamaguchi and Yuki Kaji. I would like to see Katsuyuki Konishi, but he already voices Ginyu.
I've never really thought about Japanese male voice actors for Goku, I always felt that what made his Japanese voice special was that it was a lady playing a male character. It's a tradition for ladies to voice young boys (in both Japan and America) and I think that Goku kept his innocence by not really growing up and retaining that childish part of his personality.

That said, I think Kaji (Koichi Hirose from Jojo, Finnian from Black Butler) and Konishi (Kamina from Gurren Lagaan, Gakuto from Prison School) may work out.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:45 am

Ripper 30 wrote:She is one of the reasons why old DB Fans are even intrested in watching Super at this point.
DB's main target is kids whi I doubt will care about a recast and even old fans will look past it if the story is good.
Ripper 30 wrote:I bet they will rather not recast goku because they wouldn't be the same for the native Audience and for them that's all that matters.
All that matters to them is $$$ so there's no way that companies worldwide are going to stop everything cause they think some "fans" will be upset about a recast.

When Nozawa steps down for whatever reason, she'll be recast and business will continue as usuall. The anime will continue, the merchandise will continue, the games will continue, whatever movie in development will continue, etc.

DB is a worldwide million doller making franchise, it's bigger than any one person to stop.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Oh, I thought of someone else who could nail Goku: Junichi Kanemaru.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:35 am

Ed Elric and Shinji Ikari's VAs would be good Gotens and maybe OK Gokus. I don't know where they are now, though.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:47 am

floofychan333 wrote:Ed Elric and Shinji Ikari's VAs would be good Gotens and maybe OK Gokus. I don't know where they are now, though.
Romi Park (the Voice of Edward Elric) and Megumi Ogata (the voice of Shinji Ikari) are great Seiyūs and are still voicing characters now.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:36 am

Just give Schemmel Japanese lessons obviously :roll:
Ha! This is amazing.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:38 am

SaintEvolution wrote:About male actors, I think on Kappei Yamaguchi and Yuki Kaji. I would like to see Katsuyuki Konishi, but he already voices Ginyu.
Konishi could always change his voice.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:23 am

Pretty sure that Masako will be voicing Goku until she's either dead, or becomes unable to continue voicing him. And when that tragic day comes, the series will go down with her. Point is that Masako will not be replaced, ever.