Are Trunks and Goten's actually right where they would be?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Are Trunks and Goten's actually right where they would be?

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I tried searching to see if this had been discussed but I couldn't find it, though that could just be wording.
Either way, hear me out -- I think Trunks and Goten not having physically aged is pretty normal if you factor in what we've seen time and time again;

Goku is born in age 736, he remains a child until at least age 753 when we see him in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. This would make him 17 and still he looks like he's no more than Elementary aged. We don't even know how much longer he looked like that as we don't have a whole lot of insight about the next 3 years until the 23rd TB aside from Goku spending the equivalent to 1 month (about 2 hours) in RoSaT and growing in height.

Vegeta is born in age 732 and we see that he is still very much a young looking kid until at least age 758, the year Raditz claims Planet Vegeta was destroyed. This would mean at 16 years old he still looks like he's perhaps 10-12.

To me it seems as though Saiya-jin, at least these two full blooded examples, mature slowly which makes since as they age slowly and stay in their prime far longer than a human. You could argue that a half-blood may not have the same benefits and if we use Gohan as an example here, he's born in age 757 and we know he's about 17 (considering time in RoSaT) when we next see him as he enrolls in school. This doesn't tell us how long he looked like a 13 years old but it does tell us that he matured before 17. So we have no solid evidence that a half-blood matures that much faster than a full-blood Saiya-jin nor do we know how fast they mature through puberty, it could be far faster than humans like over the course of several weeks or a few months. We don't have much evidence either way.

The closest we really get to seeing a half-blood mid-way through puberty is actually Future Trunks. We know he matures faster than his present timeline counterpart, being 13-14 when he enters an obvious teenage phase but this does not mean they absolutely would mature exactly the same; Nor do Gohan or Future Trunks serve as the standard for half-blood maturing as, with real life, people physically mature at different paces even some people in the same families.

Trunks was born in the final months of age 766 and Goten was born in sometime half way through age 767 and right now in Super it's December of age 780 so Trunks is about to be 14 and Goten is in half way through 13.
A side note: their time in the RoSaT is not significant enough to assume it would have aged them at all, it was about 8 or 9 days equivalent at most.

This all being said we know that Future Trunks grows slightly more physically mature around this time and we just might see Goten and Trunks begin to physically mature at a similar pace (though unlikely in my opinion) but the point I'm getting at is that, everything considered, Trunks and Goten really aren't behind by much if anything at all.

I honestly am not surprised or bothered by their rate of maturity as I think two ways about it:
1. If they grew even just a bit within the next year of time in the show it could be considered "right on time", for Trunks at least.
2. If they didn't grow for 3 years it wouldn't shock me that somebody with Saiya-jin blood physically matured at about 17.

In fact even if they just shoot up in physical maturity in 2-3 years it would both make sense and still fit with their finally matured appearances in EoZ which takes place half-way through age 784. We'll see though, Super has 3 years and 5 months to play with before EoZ, I think things are right on schedule in most every aspect.

---

On another note I'm hoping to get at least 3 more arcs out of Super myself with at some sort of fun post-UT arc where we get to actually develop more with the characters, also I'd like an entire EoZ era arc if we must time skip again. Lastly I'd like an Oob centered mini-arc or some sort of full arc that has him more well defined in the main casting. Though I'm one of those people who battles between stopping a show while it's hot and continuing on and on too long lol.
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):