Worst post-revival retcon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Worst post-revival retcon?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 pm

So it's no secret that ever since the franchise was brought back over a decade after seemingly ending for good with GT, there have been tons of new additions to the mythos. With these new additions though, there have also been a number of retcons. Some obvious examples would be having Beerus influence Freeza's decision to destroy planet Vegeta, and Goku being sent to Earth for his own safety, rather than to destroy it.

Needless to say, many of these retcons haven't gone over too well with many longtime fans. So which ones are the worst?

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Re: Worst post-revival retcon?

Post by Shinsa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:56 am

Hmmm i have plenty to complain about but the biggest ones i think are the worst are...

the Super Sayain God tansformation, legend, prophecy, ritual and all its stupid hair colours.

Vegeta has a brother....enough said

Dragonball minus.....enough said lol

Vegeta having a brother and DB minus are so bad that I've blocked them from my memory so they aren't canon lol.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 am

Shinsa wrote:Hmmm i have plenty to complain about but the biggest ones i think are the worst are...

the Super Sayain God tansformation, legend, prophecy, ritual and all its stupid hair colours.

Vegeta having a brother and DB minus are so bad that I've blocked them from my memory so they aren't canon lol.
SSG stuff and Vegeta having a brother aren't retcons at all.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 am

Goku being sent to earth to be protected from Freeza

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 am

I'd say Potara fusion having a time limit and Dragon Ball Minus. Both are so unnecessary and that do not serve any purpose or bring anything useful to the lore that one could forget their existance and still would live happily ever after.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Shinsa wrote:Hmmm i have plenty to complain about but the biggest ones i think are the worst are...

Oh... i thought it was since SSG was changing the lore of a super saiyan. I guess i can see why Vegeta brother isn't a retcon then....

Ill just stick to Dragonball minus...but oh ill add a episode of Braddock in the others place. I dont think its canon but dont particularly like it. It doesn't add anything to his character other then giving him an excuse to turn super saiyan and possibly be the legend.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am

Shinsa wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Oh... i thought it was since SSG was changing the lore of a super saiyan. I guess i can see why Vegeta brother isn't a retcon then....

Ill just stick to Dragonball minus...but oh ill add a episode of Braddock in the others place. I dont think its canon but dont particularly like it. It doesn't add anything to his character other then giving him an excuse to turn super saiyan and possibly be the legend.
SSG stuff feels like it's a separate lore from the yellow SS stuff especially considering that yellow SS still plays a somewhat prominent role in modern DB. It is because of that I personally don't see the SSG stuff as a retcon just further Saiyan lore.

Episode of Bardock I don't think can fit at all even if someone wanted it to be canon it just doesn't make sense.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:12 pm

I think Minus is looking to be a popular choice and one I agree with

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Wasn't it explicitly stated that there were only four Saiyans left?

There are a number of bad ones but I don't know if I can conclusively say what's the worst one. Gun to my head, Freeza's new reason for destroying Planet Vegeta is a contender.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Minus and all the new Bardock stuff.

Honorable mention for the Omni twins. Togepi voice is cute, but that's all they have going for them, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Dragon Ball Minus.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Chuquita wrote:all the new Bardock stuff.
The "new stuff" aka Dragon Ball Online isn't a retcon as well. it falls under the same category as "Vegeta having a brother".

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Chuquita wrote:all the new Bardock stuff.
The "new stuff" aka Dragon Ball Online isn't a retcon as well. it falls under the same category as "Vegeta having a brother".
Which contradicts the whole there were only four Saiyans left.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:03 pm

No. No one witnessed Bardock being captured by Mira since he was inside Freeza's technique. No one actually saw his/him corpse/dead.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Bardock caring about Goku. Or maybe the Potara time limit.

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 pm

What they did to the Saiyans and their lore in BoG and side material like Minus still chaps my ass to this day.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Beerus ordering Freeza to destroy planet Vegeta.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:51 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Dragon Ball Minus.
This post has no substance, but it is the best response so far. Having the original author contradict the best original work of the anime version twenty years later after being documented speaking great praise upon such is a terrible, terrible scenario to take place, let alone the fact DB- is not particularly compelling or good on any merit of its own.

Oh, and the Vegetto time-limit point is terrible for no other reason than the fact it copies GT's Gogeta to an awkwardly specific degree.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:15 am

If DB wasn't compelling, you wouldn't be on a DB message board.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:51 am

Future Trunks blue hair. Wouldn't have been a problem in itself if they hadn't show flashbacks..... where he has Blue hair.