Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:21 pm

ABED wrote:When was the last time Yamcha was a force to be reckoned with?
At least Z filler was his friend like beating Recoome or Olibu.
Neither of which makes any sense.
He did give Goku a run for his money when he first appeared. Also helped take down giant app Goku. While never made it to a quarter final match, he did mow his way though the competition in the preliminaries. Z I think is when he really had a hard time getting his feet to the ground.

As for the filler I do agree about power scaling wise, but as someone who doesn't invest much thought into that I don't mind that the anime staff gave him a bone.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Despite some jokes here and there it has gotten a little out of hand. Sure the baseball episode was kind of a joke but he ended up winning the game for universe 7.

This latest arc though I though felt a little out of place. He is just waiting last minute to be accepted only that he wasn't considered but mostly because he told Gohan he was busy. It just feels like Yamcha who was once a force to be reckoned with is now just a gag. I don't mind gags, but it can be over the top. At least Z filler was his friend like beating Recoome or Olibu.
That filler with Olibu doesn't count and doesn't make any sense. How can Yamcha be stronger than Olibu?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:17 pm

In and out of universe, that's still a long time since Yamcha was a force to be reckoned with. Role's change.
As for the filler I do agree about power scaling wise, but as someone who doesn't invest much thought into that I don't mind that the anime staff gave him a bone.
I often shrug it off as well, but Yamcha was able to beat a guy who just hours prior had nearly killed Vegeta.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:05 pm

ABED wrote:In and out of universe, that's still a long time since Yamcha was a force to be reckoned with. Role's change.
I often shrug it off as well, but Yamcha was able to beat a guy who just hours prior had nearly killed Vegeta.
I'd like to think he relied more on techniques then power, which caught Recoome off guard. I mean Recoome was pretty cocky despite just got killed off. Thats just me though.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Yamcha isn't a real person, who is this offending?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yamcha isn't a real person, who is this offending?
His fans, or whatever is left of them.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl