Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:02 pm

sintzu wrote:That meme was due to him always failing from the time he was introduced till now. No one would even bring that up had he done some important things after and before.
It's not just that Yamcha fails often, it's that he usually brags a lot first before he fails. In early Dragon Ball, it's painfully obvious Yamcha has it coming because of his overconfidence. Overconfidence leading to mistakes is a major theme in Dragon Ball, and Yamcha happens to exemplify it.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:13 pm

I think I'd be less annoyed over Yamcha's treatment if the fanbase acknowledged Chiaoutzu is a hundred times worse.

"Yamcha dies a lot"
No he doesn't. He's died two times, three if we count the one Whis reversed. That's equal to Goku if you count that instant reversed one.
Meanwhile Chiaoutzu has died four times if we count that rewind death and is tied for most deaths overall.

This wouldn't be so bad if he'd been involved with as many conflicts as Krillin, but he's died four times and only been involved in two conflicts. Comparatively Yamcha has been involved a bit more story wise and at least showed up to events in z putting him in the firing line of super powered monsters regularly.

Yamcha usually gets to throw a punch before being taken out but Chiaoutzu doesn't even get that, yet he doesn't get anywhere near the mocking Yamcha does.

Yamcha has won the odd fight. Not many, granted but he beat a few such as the Invisible man, the rabbit gang, Chichi, Goku (granted a hungry Goku), technically he kicked that Saibamen's ass before that cheap shot and gets further than Chiaoutzu in the 23rd Tournament.

Meanwhile Chiaoutzu has beat...himself. Unless we count filler in which case Yamcha gets at least three more wins.

OK, rant over, I just don't get how mime boy has been immune to memetic mutation whilst Krillin and Yamcha get joke status amongst the community.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Akyon wrote:I think I'd be less annoyed over Yamcha's treatment if the fanbase acknowledged Chiaoutzu is a hundred times worse.

"Yamcha dies a lot"
No he doesn't. He's died two times, three if we count the one Whis reversed. That's equal to Goku if you count that instant reversed one.
Meanwhile Chiaoutzu has died four times if we count that rewind death and is tied for most deaths overall.

This wouldn't be so bad if he'd been involved with as many conflicts as Krillin, but he's died four times and only been involved in two conflicts. Comparatively Yamcha has been involved a bit more story wise and at least showed up to events in z putting him in the firing line of super powered monsters regularly.

Yamcha usually gets to throw a punch before being taken out but Chiaoutzu doesn't even get that, yet he doesn't get anywhere near the mocking Yamcha does.

Yamcha has won the odd fight. Not many, granted but he beat a few such as the Invisible man, the rabbit gang, Chichi, Goku (granted a hungry Goku), technically he kicked that Saibamen's ass before that cheap shot and gets further than Chiaoutzu in the 23rd Tournament.

Meanwhile Chiaoutzu has beat...himself. Unless we count filler in which case Yamcha gets at least three more wins.

OK, rant over, I just don't get how mime boy has been immune to memetic mutation whilst Krillin and Yamcha get joke status amongst the community.
A hundred times this.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 pm

The thing is, Chiaotzu barely speaks in the scenes he's actually even in (and as I always like to rely on as a point courtesy of Lance, I don't think him and Goku ever actually exchanged two words in the manga). There's hardly any character to grab onto there, and following suit, there's hardly anything "memetic" about his portrayal. Sometimes he's there, most of the time he's not, and even in death there's literally nothing to show for it (he explodes leaving no remains).

There's (probably?) a good deal of observational humor value lying dormant with Chiaotzu, but nothing about him, his portrayal, his dialog, his design, etc. can actually lend itself as a contribution toward the same cultural currency I was talking about with Yamcha. It begins and ends with "silly vampire clown dude lulz maybe gay?" That's... not actually funny, and can't really go anywhere beyond that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:54 pm

I think had Yamcha not been in the very first Dragonball arc, his character would have been viewed as expendable, at least more than usual. It's just weird that the Dragonball manga started off with him at the very beginning and then he wound up less and less important as time went on. And unlike Oolong/Puar he's not a useless animal character but a fighter, so he could have still been relevant for longer.

What's weird is TOEI still advertised Yamcha with all the other fighters in the old Super openings and endings. Even if he doesn't fight in-series anymore.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:12 pm

precita wrote:What's weird is TOEI still advertised Yamcha with all the other fighters in the old Super openings and endings. Even if he doesn't fight in-series anymore.
For all the jokes Yamcha is the butt of, he's still a popular character and has a popular voice actor (Tōru Furuya). From my experience in talking with Japanese fans, the Yamcha jokes are considered good-natured ribbing and probably just add to his popularity.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:19 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
sintzu wrote:That meme was due to him always failing from the time he was introduced till now. No one would even bring that up had he done some important things after and before.
It's not just that Yamcha fails often, it's that he usually brags a lot first before he fails. In early Dragon Ball, it's painfully obvious Yamcha has it coming because of his overconfidence. Overconfidence leading to mistakes is a major theme in Dragon Ball, and Yamcha happens to exemplify it.
Really, Yamcha is Vegeta before Vegeta made it look cool.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Kanassa wrote:Really, Yamcha is Vegeta before Vegeta made it look cool.
Pretty much. When Vegeta brags he either delivers or goes down trying in an epic way. When Yamcha goes down he doesn't even try to fight back.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:14 pm

It's a very common trope if a character is too happy, settled, or full of themselves, tragedy will befall them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:38 pm

ABED wrote:It's a very common trope if a character is too happy, settled, or full of themselves, tragedy will befall them.
Batman's none of that yet disasters are always happening to him. He just put someone close to him 6ft under and now demons are coming for his head, Before that the joker brought a cave down on him & Before that a group of owls tried to drive him crazy (as if he was sane to begin with).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Even back in that old DBZ poll from 2004, Yamcha placed higher than Tenshinhan, even Bulma, 17, Videl, Yajirobe, etc.

And that was from 14 years ago before Super or Kai even existed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:47 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:It's a very common trope if a character is too happy, settled, or full of themselves, tragedy will befall them.
Batman's none of that yet disasters are always happening to him. He just put someone close to him 6ft under and now demons are coming for his head, Before that the joker brought a cave down on him & Before that a group of owls tried to drive him crazy (as if he was sane to begin with).
Did you just want to show off your Batman knowledge. I'm not sure why you seem to be disagreeing with me. I wrote "common". It's not a hard and fast rule. Besides, Batman courts disaster.

In any case, is "poor taste" the right term or just the only one the OP could think of?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 pm

ABED wrote:Did you just want to show off your Batman knowledge.

I'm not sure why you seem to be disagreeing with me.
It's the only other franchise I could think of simply because I haven't seen many things. In Naruto Sasuke is somewhat like Vegeta but he mostly comes up on top so I think it's up to the writers to decide how that type of character turns out rather than it being a rule that everyone follows.

I mostly agree but just wanted to point out that even if someone like Yamcha wasn't full of it he might've ended up the same anyway.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 am

I don't find the memes particularly offense or even funny. I also don't think it's in poor taste because Yamacha is a fictional character.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 am

The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:31 am

Fans always viewed Yamcha as a bit of a joke, along with Krillin. However, the series itself only started acknowledging this recently (he was treated seriously in DBZ). I mean, Yamcha started as a comical character in DB, so it's fitting, tbh.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 am

It's a silly joke..."poor taste" is exaggerating like crazy.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Fans always viewed Yamcha as a bit of a joke, along with Krillin. However, the series itself only started acknowledging this recently (he was treated seriously in DBZ).
Which is one of the worst things about modern DB, taking jokes made up by fans and turning them into official material.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:45 am

Well the point is Toei should have just not showed Yamcha wanting to enter the tournament of power. I mean if he was off-screen all that time it wouldn't have mattered because it wouldn't be viewed as some joke. Instead Yamcha actually wanted to fight and be chosen but of course since Toriyama didn't want him Toei couldn't use him. But Toei still added him in all those episodes leading up to it.

I mean when Yamcha didn't fight Beerus like 18/Tien/Piccolo/Buu did or enter the Universe 6 tournament, nobody cared because nobody expected him to. But this time around to put in a long running joke just for it to go nowhere was bizarre. They should have just not shown him at all.

It's weird because Yamcha was present for the entire Buu arc yet Toriyama never wrote him going against Buu just to watch him fail. He was just treated like the regular non-fighter cast at the time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:50 am

It's the only other franchise I could think of simply because I haven't seen many things. In Naruto Sasuke is somewhat like Vegeta but he mostly comes up on top so I think it's up to the writers to decide how that type of character turns out rather than it being a rule that everyone follows.

I mostly agree but just wanted to point out that even if someone like Yamcha wasn't full of it he might've ended up the same anyway.
Then clearly you haven't seen enough and I never said it was a rule. I said it's a trope. That could come off harsher than I intended, but if Naruto and Batman are the only other franchises you can think of, then you haven't seen much. I see it all the time and it's typically true that characters get the rug pulled out from under them because conflict and drama is the essence of story telling. Characters just getting what they want is usually less interesting. Joss Whedon does it all the time. In the case of Yamcha and Vegeta, hubris being "punished" is also very common. It goes back to at least Ancient Greece.