Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 pm

I just don't see how and why people would find it funny. It was suppose to be a serious death and now the show is in on it too. It feels like Yamcha is Meg Griffin (however, the majority of the people who watch family guy agree Meg doesn't deserve this. Unlike here)

I also don't see how people fault him for his loss when it could of happened to Krillin and Tien.
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Am I the only one who thinls the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Nobody thinks Yamcha deserves it either.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 pm

I am curious as to whether it was always a joke or if it's something that people took seriously but found funny later for some reason.

I would think it was the latter, but I wouldn't know, I started with Z when it first aired in the west and I was too young to even remember what my own reaction to it was. I must not have cared all that much if I don't remember.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Nobody thinks Yamcha deserves it either.
From what I've seen that only applies here.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:31 pm

I don't think anyone thinks that Yamcha actually deserves what happens with him.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 am

Personally the "Shiyagatte..." meme has to be the WORST thing to come out of Modern Dragon Ball for me. :x

What started as a serious death scene has become a flanderisation nightmare for Yamcha.
It is basically now the ONLY thing that defines his character and it is sickening.

It is why I like pre-2009 Dragon Ball better in terms of Yamcha's treatment in the official material and in the fandom (barring VegeBul badfics of course).

From 1985 up until 2008 in Japan, there was a decent amount of fanart and doujinshi of Yamcha in his glory (I happen to own some 25 year old fan doujinshi).
But 2009 onwards it will mostly be some fanart of some non-DB character in THAT pose. :problem:

So no, you're not the only one who thinks the meme is in poor taste.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

J.T. Drago

Post by J.T. Drago » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 am

I honestly never understood the whole death pose thing being all that funny. I always feel rather bad for Yamcha. It's fine he's a bit of a butt monkey, but it seems like Toriyama and Funimation really loves mentioning it time and time again. I remember reading up that Funimation alters Yamcha's lines more than any other character. I dunno how accurate it is, but from memory, that sounds about right.

It sometimes feel like people really think Yamcha is an incredibly weak character, which is far from true. Plus he has such awesome attacks like the Wolf Fang Fist and Spirit Ball (latter would've been a great to see him use in the Resurrection F arc/movie imo). Even now some shows reference the death pose.

I do remember that he isn't the only character that gets a similar treatment though. I haven't seen Madoka Magica in a while, but from what I read up and remember...
[spoiler]A character by the name of Mami Tomoe fights a monster named Charlotte. She thought she won (similar to Yamcha), but ends up getting her head bitten off and eaten (and I mean chewed to pieces. It's pretty graphic in the manga). Eventually, "Headless Mami" became an internet meme and people love making head puns about it.

Oh, and to make that death worse, when another character named Homura blows up Charlotte, we see some black goop land beside her. That's what is left of Mami after being eaten.[/spoiler]

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:32 am

I never found it funny and never will. These memes can go a bit too far.
J.T. Drago wrote:Plus he has such awesome attacks like the Wolf Fang Fist and Spirit Ball (latter would've been a great to see him use in the Resurrection F arc/movie imo). Even now some shows reference the death pose.
Given that Toriyama only sees Yamcha as a joke, I doubt he would have used him in the fight against Frieza's army.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 am

You may not agree with it, but "poor taste" feels like a strong term for what is pretty innocuous.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:43 am

It's okay, but I do feel it has gone a bit too far.

I'd really like to see Yamcha be worth something in the DB universe. (He had something in the Beerus Champa baseball game, and I'd like to see more of that.)
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DiegoBrando

Re: Am I the only one who thinks the Yamcha meme is in poor taste?

Post by DiegoBrando » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:16 am

I kind of agree. I liked Yamcha in the original DB, and he was a nice character. The problem is that he stopped being relevant at the end of DB already. DB fights started to become increasingly all about power levels, not about strategy. Yamcha being the weakest, means he is used only to die. At the point where he immediately dies against Gero, you ask yourself what he is even doing there? There's no point. Toriyama just isn't that good of a writer, and he kept bringing all these characters back when they had no point to be there. And I see people hating on him all the time, simply because he is weak. And whenever anyone says how he is (was?) a good character, people say ''what has he acomplished? he only gets beaten every time'', as if that's the point. In my opinion the vast majority of the DB fanbase thinks like this: ''High power level = good character''. Thus someone like Yamcha can only be viewed as a joke.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:13 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:I'd really like to see Yamcha be worth something in the DB universe. (He had something in the Beerus Champa baseball game, and I'd like to see more of that.)
And that, yet again, involve making fun of his death pose :twisted: :lol:

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I am curious as to whether it was always a joke or if it's something that people took seriously but found funny later for some reason.

I would think it was the latter, but I wouldn't know, I started with Z when it first aired in the west and I was too young to even remember what my own reaction to it was. I must not have cared all that much if I don't remember.
Yamcha's death was definitely taken seriously originally, at least by myself and people I know. It is fairly recent that it has become something of a joke. I can actually remember the very first time I witnessed somebody laughing at Yamcha. I just put it down to the fact that we live in a very "meme-centric" world now.

Off topic, but personally I'm very unimpressed by memes in general. I find them to be unfunny, uninteresting and pretty simplistic, if I'm being honest. Low-hanging fruit, if you will. Unfortunately the internet is awash with them.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:50 pm

This isn't recent. Yamcha became a bit of a joke years ago. Yes, his death in the Saiyan arc was sad, but that was nearly 30 years ago. This is not due to a meme. Besides, the meme didn't come out of nowhere.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:00 pm

That meme was due to him always failing from the time he was introduced till now. No one would even bring that up had he done some important things after and before.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:12 pm

You're not the only one. I personally don't understand why people think a characters death is funny. It's a cartoon so I don't get mad about people making jokes but I didn't like it at all when they all laughed at him in Super and had him in that pose.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:43 pm

The weird thing is the only reason the Saibaman death keeps getting brought up....is its Yamcha's only on-screen death in the series.

Yamcha's second death was when Super Buu turned everyone into candy/chocolate, but it was entirely off-screen for Yamcha like the rest of the humans, even in the anime we only saw their shadows. So Yamcha has only 1 real on-screen death to talk about.

With characters like Krillin, Vegeta, Piccolo, Goku, etc....we have far more on-screen deaths to talk about.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 am

AnzuMazaki wrote:What started as a serious death scene has become a flanderisation nightmare for Yamcha.
It is basically now the ONLY thing that defines his character and it is sickening.

So no, you're not the only one who thinks the meme is in poor taste.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I never found it funny and never will. These memes can go a bit too far.
samuraix123 wrote:You're not the only one. I personally don't understand why people think a characters death is funny. It's a cartoon so I don't get mad about people making jokes but I didn't like it at all when they all laughed at him in Super and had him in that pose.
You guys get offended way too easily. And by a cartoon where death in general is a joke because everyone gets wished back every time a conflict happens.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am

Gotta be honest in that I don't find it "offensive" or extreme in the least. I get a little worried when fans / community members begin taking their love of a character to levels where they feel the need to "defend their honor" in a way like this. That's what I see as a little extreme.

Compared to some of the other deaths in the series, it's really the biggest (if not only) one that left a memorable... well, pose. Evidence of the crime. It's still there to see. Perhaps Kuririn comes closest, with his explosion on Namek (the bulging body, more so in the anime than manga), maybe even then followed by his previous death (crooked, broken neck on the ground). Everyone else's deaths are just kinda... there. They fall over or they disappear entirely, with no flair beyond that.

Yamcha's has a lot going for it in this regard. There's a pose, there's a crater, there are leftover Saibaiman body parts. There's residual sizzling. That's not just a death; that's an event and an expertly-conceived emotional showcase of that event.

And it's fun to have fun with things that you like and found emotional or important. It's infinitely repeatable and makes for obvious parodies and direct connections; there's no denying what it's in reference to when it is in fact referenced. It's a fun in-joke. It's unspoken cultural connection and currency.

That's not to say there aren't (perhaps irrational?) "Yamcha haters" looking to "spread their propaganda" (I guess?!). I mean, if someone's a total nutjob, they're a total nutjob and you need to just stop paying attention and responding to them. But if the rights-holders can also recognize the cultural currency they have, shame on them if they don't take advantage of that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

If the story is good and there are stakes, I'd rather not "have fun" with a legitimately great tragic moment. It only serves to undercut its meaning. However, DB doesn't do a great job with stakes and death becomes so disposable that it's hard for me to care whether Yamcha's death is poked fun at.