When it comes to JPN Names/Terms what/how do you decide what to keep as is or translate/adapt?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: When it comes to JPN Names/Terms what/how do you decide what to keep as is or translate/adapt?

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I think whatever sounds right with the language they're using. Things like the final flash sound flow naturally in English but something like the Mako...whatever it's called doesn't so changing it wasn't that bad of an idea.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When it comes to JPN Names/Terms what/how do you decide what to keep as is or translate/adapt?

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

sintzu wrote:Mako...whatever it's called doesn't so changing it wasn't that bad of an idea.
Makankosappo?

I will say that at least Viz's "Light of Death" is miles above "Special Beam Cannon", even if it's still not an accurate translation.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Makankosappo?

I will say that at least Viz's "Light of Death" is miles above "Special Beam Cannon", even if it's still not an accurate translation.
Yeah, that.

Both of them aren't great but I understand why they changed them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.