Do you find it odd 17 was gone for so much of the series until his recent comeback?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do you find it odd 17 was gone for so much of the series until his recent comeback?

Post by precita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:53 pm

When you stop to think of it, 17 barely has any screentime in his original run. He doesn't debut a little ways into the Cell arc, and then is only around for what was it...around 20ish eps or less until Cell absorbs him? Since he's also the first Android absorbed, he's literally gone for the entire rest of the Cell arc. We don't even get to see him again at the very end of the saga when Shenron revives everyone Cell killed. We're just told by Piccolo he was likely brought back, so its off-screen. So even in his original arc...he's only in the very middle of the arc and is completely absent in the beginning and the end. Like 70% of the Cell arc he misses.

Then he's gone the entire Buu arc but one small 10 second scene. He doesn't even get to appear in DBZ's epilogue. After that, the 2008 special doesn't include him. The Beerus movie doesn't include him either when almost the entire cast is there. He's not in Return of F despite his power being useful. He doesn't watch the Champa tournament like the rest of the cast. He's not in the Goku Black/Zamasu arc despite Future Trunks returning. And he just comes back now.

When you actually stop to think of it, until 17's recent return, he was literally the most screwed over character in the series. If it wasn't due to his fight with Piccolo being so good, and his role in the Trunks special, there wouldn't actually be much to say about him.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you find it odd 17 was gone for so much of the series until his recent comeback?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah I think it would've been cool to see Trunks react to both 17 and 18 being good.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you find it odd 17 was gone for so much of the series until his recent comeback?

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Isn't 17 only back because this arc's producer is a fan of him? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Chuquita wrote:Isn't 17 only back because this arc's producer is a fan of him? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.
I didn't hear that but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Isn't 17 only back because this arc's producer is a fan of him? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.
I didn't hear that but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true
I thought I read about it in one of the longer threads. If I find it I'll quote it here.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:16 am

When you actually stop to think of it, until 17's recent return, he was literally the most screwed over character in the series. If it wasn't due to his fight with Piccolo being so good, and his role in the Trunks special, there wouldn't actually be much to say about him.
Everyone became irrelevant though so thank god he was off screen. i wouldn't have liked 17 being fodder with the rest, all 3 android had a great moment in android saga, 18 vs Vegeta (she hasn't done much since then), 16 vs Cell, 17's fight with Piccolo did help with his popularity but he was still likable and interesting also very cool and appealed to females and youngsters, it was only a matter of time for 17 to comeback.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 am

Considering the original run ended one storyline after his debut, not at all. Even then, he showed up again for a major role in GT.

I don't find it odd at all that he wouldn't show up for the first four stories in the new run either; they're all quick events that only gather together the close group of friends at the core of the cast (plus Beerus and Whis, who are inextricably linked to all the new events). Frankly, it's pushing it that even Tenshinhan shows up as much as he does. These guys don't live together.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 am

Not really. He never came across as the social type and seemed more of a, "I'll do things my own way. And I don't want to be disturbed.", kind of guy.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

I found it very weird.

17 and 18 were basically inseparable in the Android saga and they were obviously pretty close siblings, especially being twins. That 18 has only had ONE call with her brother in what? 8 years? Yeah that's really weird.

There's no explanation for it either. Leave aside the not hanging out all the time the sheer amount he's isolated himself from not only her but his own wife and kids by working and living on a separate island is really odd. He can fly at the speed of sound, it wouldn't take long to visit them.

'But the poachers may attack' but 17 has a nihilistic attitude towards life being erased. It's a little odd.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Akyon wrote:I found it very weird.

17 and 18 were basically inseparable in the Android saga and they were obviously pretty close siblings, especially being twins. That 18 has only had ONE call with her brother in what? 8 years? Yeah that's really weird.

There's no explanation for it either. Leave aside the not hanging out all the time the sheer amount he's isolated himself from not only her but his own wife and kids by working and living on a separate island is really odd. He can fly at the speed of sound, it wouldn't take long to visit them.

'But the poachers may attack' but 17 has a nihilistic attitude towards life being erased. It's a little odd.
His lack of social-ness matches well with his attitude about the potential erasure. It makes sense he would have an attitude like that if everything gets erased then he would have nothing to worry about.

Don't forget that the Cell arc was very traumatic for them. After all that #17 deciding to stay life low doesn't exactly surprise me.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

It's weird because 17 never had "main character" status till recently in Super. When he was in his original arc he was considered a villain, and since we never saw him for the rest of DBZ after he got absorbed he stayed that way.

It's crazy that it took all the way till now to establish 17 as part of the main cast. I mean even if 17 disappears again after this Universal tournament arc ends, and I think he probably will, at least he got one last shot at glory.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 am

17? Why didn't they wish back/rebuild 16? He was a victim of Cell as well!
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 am

It never really bugged me, 18 fell in love with Krillin, so of course she will be around the gang. 17 never really bonded with the others though, so he went to do his own thing. I'm glad that he at least has a family, so it shows he does have a soft side we didn't see in the Cell arc.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 am

If 17 had been around during the Buu saga, he would have just been more background fodder and just slaughtered by Buu like everyone else.

His unexpected cameo ends up being a lot more surprising and interesting. Sometimes less is more!

The 16 thing is kind of funny. I guess since he doesn't have a human base, he doesn't have a soul it means he couldn't be wished back. I'm sure Bulma could have rebuilt him. Maybe they were just feeling lazy.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:07 pm

No, not really.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 pm

Really, it's difficult to explain 17's absence without speculating about Toriyama's memory. I thought I was the only person who realized 17 was barely even in DBZ compared to other characters introduced in the arc. And he was even revived, unlike 16, so I really don't have an explanation for his absence.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu