Toonami Z-Day 1999 memories?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Toonami Z-Day 1999 memories?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Does anyone know the release date of the original Ginyu Assault and Ginyu Double Cross VHS tapes? I checked the home video guide on the site but it looks like it only covers DVDs (unless I missed it...)
April 26, 1999 according to this viewtopic.php?t=11569

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:Does anyone know the release date of the original Ginyu Assault and Ginyu Double Cross VHS tapes? I checked the home video guide on the site but it looks like it only covers DVDs (unless I missed it...)
April 26, 1999 according to this viewtopic.php?t=11569
Awesome, thanks!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 pm

You know it's hard to believe this all happened what...literally 18 years ago? Hot damn, it really doesn't feel all that long ago.

Then I realize this is from 1999...and we're now in 2017. Goddamn, where does the time go?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 pm

precita wrote:You know it's hard to believe this all happened what...literally 18 years ago? Hot damn, it really doesn't feel all that long ago.

Then I realize this is from 1999...and we're now in 2017. Goddamn, where does the time go?
The days of renting games and movies, bringing the friends over and putting the VCR on, channels having a range of colors on the screen with a beeping sound during odd hours of the night when a channel is not showing anything, are all long gone.

I do miss the simple life though.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 pm

I remember hating Ginyu's new voice, missing the flash title cards, and being sick to death of Namek. I actually stopped watching after the end of the Freeza Arc, and didn't start again until Toonami started doing that 6 episode block on Saturdays during the start of the Buu Arc.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I remember when Burger King had happy meal toys for DBZ in 1999. I remember I was like "Why?! DBZ is so stupid" when going to Burger King at the time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember when Burger King had happy meal toys for DBZ in 1999. I remember I was like "Why?! DBZ is so stupid" when going to Burger King at the time.
That was the summer of 2000, actually, in preparation for season 4! Because they also had the at-the-time-exclusive 2-episode "Z Warriors Prepare" VHS tape.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 am

As odd as it might sound, I had a blast not knowing about what happened beyond that Goku vs. Butta & Jheese fight. Dragon Ball had such a mystique around it. Maybe not to someone more knowledgeable who had fansub tapes and whatnot, but to myself and the kids that I was friends with. A close friend of mine told me that they had VHS tapes of the new episodes in August or so and we obviously didn't have money to get them, so we'd just look at them like, "Oooh." It almost didn't seem real.

As crazy as it is, I didn't even care how many times I watched those same episodes over and over again. And watching the Toonami Midnight Run? I felt like such an adult lol It was cool being surrounded by a ton of DB fans who were just as clueless as I was, piecing things together from terrible arc summaries (not even episode summaries) that we printed out. It was nice, simple, and fun.

And then the series wrapped up in a matter of a couple of years and it felt a bit odd. There was definitely a void when it was all over. It was like, "Well... now I know what happens..." When GT rolled around, I had lost total interest. Then they did the Ultimate Uncut and I was generally curious about it, but didn't watch every episode. When I started collecting the DVDs, though, everything changed and I got back into it. It started with singles, then the orange bricks, then I went and finished collecting the singles because I couldn't take the orange bricks.

I will say that Z Day was a huge turning point for the series in the U.S. It just might be the last time that something DB-related truly made me crazy excited.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:25 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Here are the bumpers and promos for the event for nostalgia:

New episodes teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnqQo7HhcSA

New episodes coming soon promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0KW9q2bRsY

Official Z-Day promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vnNgUn1ynU

Official Z-Day bumpers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9CyXn6NFGE
Can't believe it's been 18 years since I've seen those promos, and of all things started on a Monday best week ever!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 pm

The odd thing is, the internet existed in 1999. I remember going on the internet looking for info for Dragonball Z eps, but beyond some stuff, you didn't see much.

It's weird how streaming videos online wasn't a thing yet. Even youtube wasn't created until 2005...that was around the time the whole DBZ/Dragonball/GT dubs were already over and they were doing the Seasons 1-2 redubs.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

I remember seeing the first promo for DBZ on CN and being so ecstatic. I even watched a few when they first aired before wondering why. I had already seen them multiple times. Oh the days pre-DVR.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm

precita wrote:The odd thing is, the internet existed in 1999. I remember going on the internet looking for info for Dragonball Z eps, but beyond some stuff, you didn't see much.

It's weird how streaming videos online wasn't a thing yet. Even youtube wasn't created until 2005...that was around the time the whole DBZ/Dragonball/GT dubs were already over and they were doing the Seasons 1-2 redubs.
Streaming wasn't a thing because speeds and bandwidth didn't really allow for it, most people were still on dialup in the 1990s and early 2000s.
I had 20 up and 20 down in 1999 tho :D
It was crazy expensive for the time, eventually got to $20/mo as really didn't change speeds until I got gigabit internet this year :P
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 pm

Man the young teens of today don't realize how spoiled they are. Us 25-30+ year old adults had to sit through old dub episodes with huge rerun breaks, heavily edited episodes, and no way to watch the Japanese version online. Also highly expensive DVDs with only 3 eps per disc but still cost $20.

Dear god. The young kids of today who can watch online the entire series in 1 month without spending one penny don't realize how good they have it.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 am

precita wrote:Man the young teens of today don't realize how spoiled they are. Us 25-30+ year old adults had to sit through old dub episodes with huge rerun breaks, heavily edited episodes, and no way to watch the Japanese version online.
73H H0rr0r! Seriously, speak for yourself. I enjoyed watching the dub on Toonami back in the day, coming home from elementary school.
How old were you back then? If you were in middle school or high school, then I can see the disconnect.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 am

I was in 4th grade football, so practice was happening during the run, luckily I could record the show on VHS so I can see what was going on with Zday. Toonami knew how to get you pumped for good ol DBZ.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:49 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
precita wrote:Man the young teens of today don't realize how spoiled they are. Us 25-30+ year old adults had to sit through old dub episodes with huge rerun breaks, heavily edited episodes, and no way to watch the Japanese version online.
73H H0rr0r! Seriously, speak for yourself. I enjoyed watching the dub on Toonami back in the day, coming home from elementary school.
How old were you back then? If you were in middle school or high school, then I can see the disconnect.
I agree. There was something so much more enjoyable about the anticipation building than having the whole thing available for me to binge watch on a streaming service. Thankfully it was every day instead of once a week, which I think is perfect. I didn't get burned out from it because I didn't just sit through 5 hours of it, and it wasn't such a drag like I feel it is when it's on a weekly basis. I get that way with the CW shows like Arros, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow, where I just want to watch the next episode soon. I think it's okay though because there's a super hero show every day, so it kind of fills that void.

I loved watching it on Toonami and I was a huge fan of Toonami itself. What other cartoon block made you a fan of the block itself? For me, just Toonami. I was just as interested in their own segments, commercials, promos, and stuff like that, as I was most of the shows that were on it -- more than some of the show that were one it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Some get burned out, but I don't I like to binge. I want to get sucked in and go down the rabbit hole, especially with something so serialized.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm

While that's true, I get burned out on something like Dragon Ball. When I was doing my thing where I watched the whole thing in Japanese, it was so much. Then you have a show that's like 23 episodes or whatever and you finish that in a week instead of being invested in the story for months.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Back in 1999 I was around....13 I think? So I was a young teen. I was in 7th or 8th grade I guess.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm

People had ways to watch the Japanese version back in 1999. You had VHS fan subs and they are nowhere as hard to find as most people make it out to be. You can find the Japanese version at local fee markets and even comic book shops had fan sub tapes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/