Hypothetical Matchups We Never Saw

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Hypothetical Matchups We Never Saw

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm a Dragonball fan through and through, and I always wondered about hypothetical matchups that almost happened and never actually ended up occurring due to plot or whatever the case may be. Here are a few I came up with:

1) Nail vs The Ginyu Force: I always thought it was a damn shame we never saw this occur. Nail had a power level of around 42 000 and would have been a major help to Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta when they were fighting the Ginyu force. Unfortunately, Nail fought Freeza instead which didn't end well.

2) Goku or Vegeta vs Dabura: Another interesting scenario had the rock, paper and scissors game gone differently between the trio of Saiyans.

3) Goku vs 16: 16 only met Goku in the Cell games but never had a chance to fight him.

4) Piccolo vs Vegeta: Similar backstories, and 2 characters who should have fought at some point. I'll ask you guys this: If both of them have an equal power level and its a fight to the death, who would win? Regeneration might come in handy, but then again so would a Saiyan's natural fighting body being put to use. Definitely interesting.

5) Gotenks vs Kid Buu: Another interesting one.

So which one do you think is the best hypothetical match up? List ones I didn't mention too and explain why its your favorite.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Hypothetical Matchups We Never Saw

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Kuririn vs Tenshinhan is an obvious one.

We also never saw a Goku vs Gohan before Super, at which point Goku was already so ridiculously above his son that it wasn't an even match.

Vegetto vs Beerus would be fun to see.

Hit vs Jiren may still happen, but it looks like it won't from what we've seen of the ToP so far. If not, then this. Also Hit vs Goku Black, since Black should have come across him. Or Goku Black vs Golden Freeza, for sharing the same distaste for humans, but being ideologically different.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:Kuririn vs Tenshinhan is an obvious one.

We also never saw a Goku vs Gohan before Super, at which point Goku was already so ridiculously above his son that it wasn't an even match.

Vegetto vs Beerus would be fun to see.

Hit vs Jiren may still happen, but it looks like it won't from what we've seen of the ToP so far. If not, then this. Also Hit vs Goku Black, since Black should have come across him. Or Goku Black vs Golden Freeza, for sharing the same distaste for humans, but being ideologically different.
Hit vs Goku Black would have been nice, and seeing how easily Hit can travel from one universe to another where he did so during that two episode story about his assassin ways definitely seemed possible.

Vegetto vs Beerus would probably happen at some point down the road in Super.

Krillin against Tien would end the argument that's been plaguing this community for years.

Great picks.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:44 pm

While I much prefer Frieza being in the ToP, after seeing her in action...

Ribrianne

vs

Majin Buu

...would have been a fun fight.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:While I much prefer Frieza being in the ToP, after seeing her in action...

Ribrianne

vs

Majin Buu

...would have been a fun fight.
Damn you're right, just annoys me why they took out Buu. Would have been straight comedy to see this.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Whis vs Vados

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Kaiouken + Genkidama Fusion Zamasu VS Kaiouken + Genkidama Vegetto
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Whis vs Vados
I hope we see Whis fight seriously at least once at some point in Super.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Fat Buu Vs. Botamo was teased in official Universe 6 adverts and it's never happened. WTF, Toei?

Dabura having a proper long battle with anyone would have been nice. He has a great design and was underused.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm

precita wrote:Fat Buu Vs. Botamo was teased in official Universe 6 adverts and it's never happened. WTF, Toei?

Dabura having a proper long battle with anyone would have been nice. He has a great design and was underused.
Don't blame Toei on that one. That's all down to Toriyama.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm

The Kamikaze Fireball vs The Trio De Danger: This matchups could have been fun.
    Goku vs #18 since he already fought #17 I wouldn't have mind if he fought against her,their interaction are fun to see.
      Krillin vs Tien.
        Magetta vs Hyssop, Lava vs Ice anyone.
          Hop vs Kakunsa.

The gr
          I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Krillin vs tien,I really wanted to see those two figthing
            Brianne vs buu
              murichim or a brute in u10 vs nigrishi or paparoni,a match between brains and brawn
                kahseral vs kakunsa or hop,for some reason I always wanted to see him facing a cat figther
                  vegetto vs beerus
                    Black vs the pride trooper,at some point he must have encounter them when he was slaughtering the remaining supreme kai
                      gotenks vs fat buu,this match sounds like a fun idea
                      Mostly active on discord.

GreatSaiyaJeff
                      Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 pm

I was always dissapointed that we didn't see the Goten vs Buu fight at the end of Z. It would have been cool to have the final tournament actually be a full arc, but it was just a pan fight and Goku vs Uub, while great was an underwhelming end.
                      "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Sair

Post by Sair » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 am

I just learned something new! Thank you for important stuff. :thumbup:

sintzu
                      Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 am

Piccolo vs Dabura, bote heald the tital demon king so it'd be interesting to see their interactions.
                      omaro34 wrote:Piccolo vs Vegeta: Similar backstories, and 2 characters who should have fought at some point. I'll ask you guys this: If both of them have an equal power level and its a fight to the death, who would win? Regeneration might come in handy, but then again so would a Saiyan's natural fighting body being put to use. Definitely interesting.
                      It'd be very close and either would make sense but whoever wins would probably fall dead soon after though.
                      July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
                      Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:51 am

omaro34 wrote:
                      Lord Beerus wrote:Whis vs Vados
                      I hope we see Whis fight seriously at least once at some point in Super.
                      Hopefully when the latest arc leads into an Angelic War arc... or something similar! That is the only way we will ever see Angels fighting seriously.

Duo
                      I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 am

Mr. Satan vs Freeza. It would have rounded him out with having saved the world from Cell & Buu. Can't believe 'F' blew that opportunity.

floofychan333
                      Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Beerus vs Whis
                      Mr Satan vs Taopaipai
                      Ultimate Gohan vs Gotenks
                      "All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Polyphase Avatron
                      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:55 am

Daishinkan vs. anyone, I just want to see him fight
                      Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

RandomGuy96
                      Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:26 am

The gr wrote:gotenks vs fat buu,this match sounds like a fun idea
                      Happened in the anime, though Gotenks didn't fuse as a Super Saiyan and lacked the ability to transform within his fusion at that point, so it didn't last long.
                      Duo wrote:Mr. Satan vs Freeza. It would have rounded him out with having saved the world from Cell & Buu. Can't believe 'F' blew that opportunity.
                      He didn't get involved for the same reason as Beerus: we wouldn't have a proper final battle then. We already saw him one-shot a movie villain when he crushed Bojack, and again when he finally killed Broly, and people rightfully called those out as anti-climactic bullcrap.
                      The Monkey King wrote:
                      RandomGuy96 wrote:
                      dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
                      He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
                      It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
                      Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.