What show covered the most ground in its first 100 episodes? DB, DBZ or Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

What show covered the most ground in its first 100 episodes? DB, DBZ or Super?

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 pm

100 episodes into each series, which series do you think covered the most ground? And by that I mean in terms of characters, stories, plot development, etc. And I don't mean which had more sagas because obviously some arcs were a lot shorter than others, I just mean which felt like it brought the most stuff in 100 eps in.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: What show covered the most ground in its first 100 episodes? DB, DBZ or Super?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 pm

I'll go with Dragon Ball.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: What show covered the most ground in its first 100 episodes? DB, DBZ or Super?

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Definitely Dragon Ball. We saw Goku's development, two Shenron summonings which took Goku and co. to look for each Dragon Ball and two tournaments. Also apart from Piccolo and Gohan by episode 100 all the important protagonists of DBZ up until Trunks' arrival where introduced, and all those characters are still important to this very day!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Dragon Ball without a doubt. Just far better world building and character development was crammed into the first 100 episodes of DB compared to Z and Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Dragon Ball of course! Probably has something to do with the fact that Dragon Ball started with a full year and three months ahead of the manga, while Z started with five months and had to pad things with filler. There's also the fact that Dragon Ball changes location a lot more often than Z does, while Z has a high tendency to have longer fights that don't advance the story for a while (see: the Frieza fight).

Now the more interesting question would be whether Kai advanced the story more in its first 100 episodes over Dragon Ball! For comparison, at Ep 100 DB was a single episode away from concluding the 23rd Tournament, while Kai was up to Gohan being busted as the Great Saiyaman by Videl.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 am

I agree with everyone else, DB wins this easily.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 am

If we were talking Kai instead of DBZ, then it'd be a close tie between OG Dragon Ball and DBK, since at that point, they're about 3/4 through the entire run and they already went through quite a number of story arcs already. Though I do think OG Dragon Ball has the better story, but that's not really what the topic is asking.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 pm

OGDB does the most for development and introduction while already being through 2 full arcs of events. DBZ covers some ground in its first 100 episodes; we see Vegeta introduced and his character begins its substantial development, while several notable characters die. Namek is built and developed but it counts less because it's only seen extensively in the one arc. In short, DB gets this one but DBZ's ground covered is not something to completely overlook.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 am

Dragonball, by a long shot.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am

The best answer I could give is DB. It introduces the characters and the world, so literally everything is new.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd say it's a toss up between OG DBs anime and Dragon Ball Kai. It's not just that both cover a lot of stuff, but they're paced really, really well too. Super technically achieves a lot in a 100 episodes too but the pacing is either too slow or break neck pace fast. Zs.... just fucking shit.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:Dragon Ball of course! Probably has something to do with the fact that Dragon Ball started with a full year and three months ahead of the manga, while Z started with five months and had to pad things with filler. There's also the fact that Dragon Ball changes location a lot more often than Z does, while Z has a high tendency to have longer fights that don't advance the story for a while (see: the Frieza fight).

Now the more interesting question would be whether Kai advanced the story more in its first 100 episodes over Dragon Ball! For comparison, at Ep 100 DB was a single episode away from concluding the 23rd Tournament, while Kai was up to Gohan being busted as the Great Saiyaman by Videl.
It's also worth mentioning Dragon Ball's arcs are A LOT shorter than Z so more ground is bound to be covered in the former.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'd say it's a toss up between OG DBs anime and Dragon Ball Kai. It's not just that both cover a lot of stuff, but they're paced really, really well too.
If DB got a Kai version it would've covered a lot more material in 100 episodes. I guess weather that'd be better or not would've depended on how they did it.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 pm

sintzu wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'd say it's a toss up between OG DBs anime and Dragon Ball Kai. It's not just that both cover a lot of stuff, but they're paced really, really well too.
If DB got a Kai version it would've covered a lot more material in 100 episodes. I guess weather that'd be better or not would've depended on how they did it.
Would a Kai version of DB even make it to a 100 episodes?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Would a Kai version of DB even make it to a 100 episodes?
The manga only episodes are 133 which are well paced so maybe it would cut them down to 100-110.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:It's also worth mentioning Dragon Ball's arcs are A LOT shorter than Z so more ground is bound to be covered in the former.
Oh yeah definitely, mostly because the fights tend to be a lot shorter for the most part and there's a greater emphasis on storytelling than character fights.
sintzu wrote:If DB got a Kai version it would've covered a lot more material in 100 episodes. I guess weather that'd be better or not would've depended on how they did it.
Well you can get rid of the big four filler arcs (Colonel Silver, Solo Training, Heavenly Training and Wedding Dress) which reduces it by 19 episodes right from the start to take it down to 144. Having done T1C I managed to cut them down to a clean 100 and just that (without the creation of any new footage or voice acting to patch up some seams) works really well. Recut further reduced it to about 80, but both have variable episode lengths, so I'd say a Kai'd DB would be reduced down to about 90 episodes, or about 40 less than the original anime. Not quite as impressive as DBZ Kai's reduction of 132 episodes, but as said Dragon Ball focuses much more on abject storytelling, and the early story in particular has far less filler than Z to remove outright because they had a year's head start.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm

there's a greater emphasis on storytelling than character fights.
Not sure what you mean.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

ABED wrote:
there's a greater emphasis on storytelling than character fights.
Not sure what you mean.
I'm assuming he means the actual focus on adventure, like the hunt for the dragonballs and the red ribbon army arcs. though Namek's hunt for the DBs was just as much as an adventure in the first half too.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Okay, if that's the case, fights are still storytelling.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
The manga only episodes are 133 which are well paced so maybe it would cut them down to 100-110.
I actually HAVE a fan made cut of the original Dragon Ball into a Kai format downloaded to my pc. The man did an absolutely amazing job cutting out all of the filler and making everything seem as seamless as possible and not jarring or confusing while staying true to the manga. He cut it from 153 episodes down to 82. When I want to watch the whole series in a Kai format I absolutely without question watch this 82 episode cut of DB followed by our 167 episode cut of Z Kai, followed by Super of course.