Remembering Castmembers No Longer with us. (Any language)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Remembering Castmembers No Longer with us. (Any language)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Reading about the terrific performance of Paolo Torrisi in Italy and the fac that we have a "Who should replace X" we should have a thread to remember deceased Cast Members.

I will begin.

I begin remembering the original Master Roshi from Latin America, Jesus Colin. He truly was a marvelous actor and could do all facets of Muten Roshi-sama, he most poignantly recorded till the very episode of GT... Only Kohei Miyauchi was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcTNIt8fsWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLJ3NGnyvm8
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Remembering Castmembers No Longer with us. (Any language)

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:12 pm

I miss Kohei Miyauchi, Hirotaka Suzuoki and Kaneto Shiozawa.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Who did they play, what scenes do you remember them by and what was their final appereance in the series?

EDIT: I do know Kohei Miyauchi and Hirotaka Suzuoki though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Who did they play, what scenes do you remember them by and what was their final appereance in the series?

EDIT: I do know Kohei Miyauchi and Hirotaka Suzuoki though.
Shiozawa played Nam. He was a great actor. He was also played Rei in Fist of the North Star, Aries Mu in Saint Seiya, Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid and M'Quve in the original Gundam series.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 pm

WOW! That was even more than I asked! Terrific post!

And yeah. I will miss Japanaese Nam and Tenshinhan too.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 am

Gouri Daisuke. The legend. Mr.Satan doesn't feel like Mr.Satan without him. :( There are many other roles of his that I liked. He is a huge loss to anime.

Miya'uchi Kouhei and Suzuoki Hirotaka have already been mentioned. Both of them were fantastic as Kame-Sen'nin and Tenshinhan respectively. Shame, both characters sound terrible in this post revival era. Again, they were very crucial to the characters and it doesn't work without them.
Suzuoki's Saitou Hajime performance though was out of this fucking world. My favorite performance of his. And, that's just one of his many great performances. Another big loss, not just to Dragon Ball, but anime as a whole.

Utsumi Kenji. Another legend. From Shenlong to the hilarious Tenka'ichi Budoukai announcer and Reacoom to the even more hilarious Senbei from Dr.Slump. This guy was something else. He was also a big name in the industry. My favorite performance of his though was Braiking Boss from Casshern Sins and Ooba from Kemonozume. He was great in performing as villains as well. A very versatile actor and a voice which I immediately recognized.

Ootsuka Chikao. Dr. Eggman is his most famous role and he was great. Oh, and his Tao Pai-pai performance was fucking awesome just like the character itself.

Aono Takeshi. Piccolo Daimaou sama!!! And, Murasaki and God. His range was incredible. Shiro from Uchuu Senkan Yamato was another memorable role of his.

Ichirou Nagai. Karin and Tsuru-Sen'nin's seiyuu. I'm not that familiar with his other roles, but he was quite a big name as well.

Nishio Toku. Mr. Popo's voice was quite unique, especially his dialogue delivery. Now, it doesn't feel like that.

Takiguchi Junpei. Baba's seiyuu.

The original cast of Dragon Ball consisted mostly of experienced and fantastic actors. It is sad that a lot of them have passed away or are very old now. Still, they have all established themselves pretty good and I will always remember them.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:00 am

That's another terrific post Senshi! That's why you are among my fave people here!

Amaterasu

Post by Amaterasu » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Gouri Daisuke. The legend. Mr.Satan doesn't feel like Mr.Satan without him. :( There are many other roles of his that I liked. He is a huge loss to anime.
I also really liked him as King Cold. It's quite tragic when you read up on what happened to him. :(

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Gouri Daisuke. The legend. Mr.Satan doesn't feel like Mr.Satan without him. :( There are many other roles of his that I liked. He is a huge loss to anime.
Honestly, I would say this one has probably left the biggest impact so far when it comes to both the fans and the cast. And I hope that remains the case for a long time.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Gouri and Otsuka were also great. How could I have forgotten them?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Kohei Miyauchi was great though I prefer McFarland's Roshi. For living actors not in the voice cast anymore, Joji Yanami, Stephanie Nadolny, Brice Armstrong, and Laura Bailey.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:35 pm

No, its explicitly actors who are dead. I didnt want to be too morbid in the title but this is the "Theme" of the thread. You may want to take that to "Names you miss in the franchise"

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:06 am

Italian dub
• Gianfranco Gamba (Freeza in Mediaset dub)
• Monica Bonetto (Trunks in Mediaset dub)
• Paolo Torrisi (Goku in Mediaset dub)
• Piero Tiberi (Piccolo in Dynit dub)

Hungarian dub
• Tibor Kenderesi (Roshi)
• Gyula Balázsi (Cell)
• Zoltan Breyer (Krillin)

European Portuguese dub
• António Semedo (King Kai, Raditz, Yamcha, Narrator and others)

Brazilian Portuguese dub
• Daoiz Cabezudo (Narrator)
• Emerson Caperbat (Garlic Jr.
• Hamilton Ricardo (Freeza in Kai)
• Helena Samara (Fortune Teller Baba 2nd voice actress)
• José Soares (Grandpa Gohan)
• Mário Jorge Montini (Moori)

If I remember more, I'll add them.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:31 am

While its nice that you mention them,please dont make lists. Otherwise you arent really remembering them. Just mentioning. Like do you have memories or memorable scenes from them?

A post like the one Saikyo no Senshi did would be most ideal.

Also videos. Videos are nice. Like this Paolo Torrisi video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLOY-VSK68

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 am

I really miss Georges Lycan from the french cast, to me he was the next best Cell ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfclFc5PPU and here's a comparison between Cell from the french DBZ Kai dub and DBZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpYj6O6lkes ) I've ever heard after Wakamoto. He was also an excellent narrator. Other roles he had were Ginyu, Guymao, Sporovitch, Ten Shin Han, Recoome, Dr. Gero, Yakon, Mister Brief, King Emna, and King Cold.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 am

A recent miss for the Italian dub is Monica Bonetto. She recently passed away. Her performance as Kid Trunks and Gotenks was incredibly good. She really nailed the cocky/spoiled tone.
Here's a tribute video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Hzch3X63I

And of course, as you mentioned, there's Paolo Torrisi. Words can't describe how much I love his performance as Goku. I would say his voice is one of the main reasons Dragon Ball was so successful in Italy. Here's a tribute video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=axdaZpJQJaU
And his most iconic line, URCAAA! (it was Goku's catchprase in Italy): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9BJbaxtZk
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:While its nice that you mention them,please dont make lists. Otherwise you arent really remembering them. Just mentioning. Like do you have memories or memorable scenes from them?

A post like the one Saikyo no Senshi did would be most ideal.

Also videos. Videos are nice. Like this Paolo Torrisi video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLOY-VSK68
Oh, I misunderstood you. I thought you were asking for how many voice actors passed away but now I see you asked what were our favourite moments from deceased voice actors :oops:

Well, this is my memorable moment from Enrique Mederos :
https://youtu.be/vemt4Qd219I

The guy was pretty good on his characters and he had an amazing voice range. it's a shame he passed away. I sometimes wonder what characters he could have voiced today...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am

ENRIQUE MEDEROS! How I miss him so!

Also Araceli de Leon from the Latin American dub. Sure her casting broke the joke of both him and Krillin sharing an actress but she was still amazing. I still miss her.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:07 pm

I miss Kenji Utsumi (Shenron), Ichiro Nagai (Kami) and Daisuke Gori (Porunga, Hercule, Turtle) from the Japanese cast.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 am

Robert O. Smith from the Ocean dub. He gave an excellent performance as the Grand Elder on Namek. He sounded old, wise, and kind in all the exact right ways. He will be missed in Ocean Kai.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.