A question for hardcore Dub fans

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

A question for hardcore Dub fans

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 am

How would you feel if Toriyama came and changed the transalations and commisioned new dubs that reflected this. Complete with Voices that reflect his vision? It was going to be a general audiences question but I thought about it a little and its obvious hardcore fans would be happy about this or not really care at all since they are sub fans. For added fun the old dubs would eventually become out of print like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon.

I'm not saying this because I'm a hardcore subbie, in fact this idea came to me when I thought about how the dub I grew up with may not really be what Toriyama had in mind and how sad I would be if the dub changed. Luckily since its the Latin American version not much would change lol.

Remember, think looooooooooooooong and hard. Remember, bye Krillin, hi Kurilin. Think of the changes that would shock you most and either reject it or accept it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A question for hardcore Dub fans

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am

Well honestly an English adult Goku played by a woman will never sound right to me. I'd be fine with hearing stuff like Kuririn and Sigh-yan but the voices would have to do some tweaking and not 1-for-1 identical. I think even most sub fans would agree to that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am

I didnt mean exactly a Nozawa sound alike. Just that Sean Schemmel would be replaced by someone picked by Toriyama, be it a guy or a woman.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I didnt mean exactly a Nozawa sound alike. Just that Sean Schemmel would be replaced by someone picked by Toriyama, be it a guy or a woman.
Ah, I gotcha. Like I said though, I'd be cool with it

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:05 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:How would you feel if Toriyama came and changed the transalations and commisioned new dubs that reflected this. Complete with Voices that reflect his vision? It was going to be a general audiences question but I thought about it a little and its obvious hardcore fans would be happy about this or not really care at all since they are sub fans. For added fun the old dubs would eventually become out of print like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon.

I'm not saying this because I'm a hardcore subbie, in fact this idea came to me when I thought about how the dub I grew up with may not really be what Toriyama had in mind and how sad I would be if the dub changed. Luckily since its the Latin American version not much would change lol.

Remember, think looooooooooooooong and hard. Remember, bye Krillin, hi Kurilin. Think of the changes that would shock you most and either reject it or accept it.
I think a lot of dub fans would be pissed if Toriyama changed the voices.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:53 pm

I've grown attached to the dub voices but if mispronunciations are slaughtered then I'll throw a party. Using the original Japanese names would be great too but having an old English speaking lady as Goku would be really bizarre, especially since I don't think any VA in the English-speaking world could pull off what Masako Nozawa pulls off.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I've grown attached to the dub voices but if mispronunciations are slaughtered then I'll throw a party. Using the original Japanese names would be great too but having an old English speaking lady as Goku would be really bizarre, especially since I don't think any VA in the English-speaking world could pull off what Masako Nozawa pulls off.
That's what I'm saying. I can deal with Sigh-yan over Say-in, but hearing a 80 year old woman voice Goku in English will never sound right to me.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I've grown attached to the dub voices but if mispronunciations are slaughtered then I'll throw a party. Using the original Japanese names would be great too but having an old English speaking lady as Goku would be really bizarre, especially since I don't think any VA in the English-speaking world could pull off what Masako Nozawa pulls off.
That's what I'm saying. I can deal with Sigh-yan over Say-in, but hearing a 80 year old woman voice Goku in English will never sound right to me.
Really, I'm not sure what Toriyama-sensei would think about picking English voices. I assume he's heard enough English speakers to know what we sound like so there would be a chance that he could make an appropriate decision when picking VAs.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:46 pm

So... it's just subbed but instead of reading I listen to voices. Not that hard to adapt to. However, I do like the dub changes for certain moves cause it makes them sound more separated from each other. Whereas if we just leave the attacks the way they are, we are hearing Japanese language in English instead of a word that was translated or adapted over. I like Special Beam Cannon for instance.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:04 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:How would you feel if Toriyama came and changed the transalations and commisioned new dubs that reflected this. Complete with Voices that reflect his vision? It was going to be a general audiences question but I thought about it a little and its obvious hardcore fans would be happy about this or not really care at all since they are sub fans. For added fun the old dubs would eventually become out of print like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon.

maybe because Manga and Japanese version are almost non existent for them as long as they have the inaccurate script and Those old voices they grew up with, infact in a YouTube Video I literally saw People writing in the comments that they won't watch Super Dub or Kai Dub because there isn't Faulconer's music and they wanted Tiffany Volmer,Stephanie Nadolny and Linda Young to reprise their old roles.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:32 pm

While I'm not a hardcore fan of the dub, I think Kurilin and Blooma would sound odd to me even though they're accurate to the Japanese. Maybe it's because I'm used to the English dubs calling them Krillin and Bulma.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

maybe because Manga and Japanese version are almost non existent for them as long as they have the inaccurate script and Those old voices they grew up with, infact in a YouTube Video I literally saw People writing in the comments that they won't watch Super Dub or Kai Dub because there isn't Faulconer's music and they wanted Tiffany Volmer,Stephanie Nadolny and Linda Young to reprise their old roles.
Those people should realize that Vollmer and Nadolny aren't coming back to reprise their roles.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:04 pm

What exactly constitutes a hardcore dub fan?

I slightly prefer the FUNImation dub of BoG to the Japanese version, while considering 'F' equal. Kai is an 8.5/10. I would say I probably ingest those parts of the series about 50/50, however...

The rest of everything FUNImation ever did with Dragon Ball varies between garbage and barely OK, favoring the former.

Would being a hardcore dub fan mean enjoying all that material that needs to be cast into the ocean?

---

Moving on to the actual subject...

I'm glad that it is both impossible for Toriyama to do such a thing but also that he would have no interest even if he could. With the horrifying exception of King Kai, the FUNImation cast has been doing excellent for years ongoing and there wouldn't be any gain to shaking it up at this point.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I would say a hardcore dub fan is someone who can watch the dubs of Dragon Ball, genuinely enjoy them as pieces of entertainment, and takes an interest in the actors, the roles they play and can participate in discussions about their acting.

I love the Pioneer trilogy dubs and Funi dubs since Kai, and I look forward to the latest dubbed Super episodes with a similar level of enthusiasm to that I have for the upcoming Japanese episodes, so one may count me in that category :thumbup:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I love the Pioneer trilogy dubs
Those are amazing and I should have mentioned them in my previous post.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Duo wrote:
Those are amazing and I should have mentioned them in my previous post.
Especially for the time they were made. Those dubs really show what the Ocean cast are capable of when given good direction and accurate scripts. I love the Funimation cast too but the Pioneer trilogy is by far the definitive dub for those movies.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Even though I really love the Japanese voices, I always watch those three movies with the Ocean dub. Don't know why, but it just feels so great to hear these great Canadian talents with great scripts and voice direction.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 pm

I think people just love whatever they originally heard. They've got a nostalgic grip on these voice actors, so they mislabel them as the "most authentic way" or "As intended" or "Only True Way to Watch" and accept no substitutes.
El Conejo Malo

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Bardo117 wrote:I think people just love whatever they originally heard.
Many do, but I spent six years with the franchise before I became a fan of the Japanese version (and this forum is full of similar stories). That feels like a drop in the bucket now, since that happened in 2003-2004...

Super also threw a huge wrench in dub loyalty. A lot of people that were loyal to it for a decade+ did not respond well to the first clips of Sean Schemmel as Goku Black (which was from video games, but it may end up applying on a very large scale before long).

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 am

It's weird, while I can watch Dead Zone or Tree of Might with either Funimation or Ocean dub cast. Something about the World's Strongest I can only watch the ocean cast with. It's weird to me but it seems more natural.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy