How far away are we from a "proper Hollywood treatment"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How far away are we from a "proper Hollywood treatment"?

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 am

It's not a throwaway gag. We just haven't seen it exactly how it will play out yet with her discovering his identity. It in no way undermines anything, much less the scene that hasn't been created yet.
Seriously, why's Winter Solider one of the rare MCU movies that knew how not to suck dick at proper scene tone?
Spider-Man is inherently different. You don't know what the "proper" scene tone is because we haven't seen the full scene.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Hopefully far far away. I don't think we'll ever get a good live-action DB movie considering Hollywood's track record with adaptations of anime.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm

If it ever comes back into a live action movie, advertising the movie and promoting it will be a problem. Many people remember the abomination known as Dragonball Evolution, and society is simply not forgiving. They will have to overcome that obstacle even though its no fault of their own.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:09 pm

That assumes anyone remembers it. It's not as high profile as something like Batman.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

From a tone/style/visual standpoint I think Luc Besson would make a fine director for a live action adaption of the material.

funrush

Post by funrush » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Super far away. Adapting DB to live action properly is going to take extremely careful casting, directing, and a giant CGI budget. With DB Evolution being a box office and commercial failure, no studio is ever going to want to take a risk on this property.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 pm

DBE is still rather recent and it was a box office flop. I don't think anyone wants to touch Dragon Ball in Hollywood right now. Fox got the rights to it because X-Men was a big hit back in 2000 and they wanted more movie franchises. Not to mention, they wanted Dragon Ball to be their next big thing after the Star Wars prequels ended and hope that Dragon Ball would be their next big movie saga.

We also don't know if Fox still owns the live action DB movie rights anymore or not. They could have given up the rights back to Shueisha similar how Sony give up the rights to Godzilla in 2003.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Unless a major company is willing to invest at least 200 million dollars to produce and advertise the movie and a visionary director like Zack Snyder or Guillermo del Toro is available and committed to directing it, then we are still waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off from "proper Hollywood treatment".

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Once Disney buys the franchise, you know a new live action movie won't be too far away.
I give it 5 years :P

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Very, very few directors would have the balls to try it. You need someone that is a CGI addict and likes to keep it traditional, i know that doesnt make any sense.
James Cameron is one of them, but knowing his work, he would never go for a story that isnt his or that isnt flat for 4h.

Ghost in the Shell was trialed two times by Spielberg itself, although he is shit IMO, he literary gave up and admitted that he cant do it.
Neuromancer, a book that even GitS is indirectly based on (or heavily inspired), was tried as well. Even Chris Cunningham apparently dropped it, and he is know to tackle the challenge of weirdness.

A TV Show would not be a bad idea at all...30 episodes with the usual length, very doable.

EDIT: Luc Besson as someone said, would be epic, but you cant make that guy go for too much CGI.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Unless a major company is willing to invest at least 200 million dollars to produce and advertise the movie and a visionary director like Zack Snyder or Guillermo del Toro is available and committed to directing it, then we are still waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off from "proper Hollywood treatment".
Snyder would probably do it since he's a fan of anime.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 pm

I believe we're not that far, thanks to James Gunn's Guardian of the Galaxy series. That series is very lively and comedic and colorful, and would be a good influence to use.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Unless a major company is willing to invest at least 200 million dollars to produce and advertise the movie and a visionary director like Zack Snyder or Guillermo del Toro is available and committed to directing it, then we are still waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off from "proper Hollywood treatment".
Is he? Seriously? I know Guillermo del Toro confiding is since he's gone on record to saying that Pacific Rim was basically one big shout-out to practically every mecha robot and Kaiju anime every made.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Is he? Seriously? I know Guillermo del Toro confiding is since he's gone on record to saying that Pacific Rim was basically one big shout-out to practically every mecha robot and Kaiju anime every made.
For the fight sequences for Man of Steel, he used Birdy the Mighty as inspiration.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Snyder would probably do it since he's a fan of anime.
For the fight sequences for Man of Steel, he used Birdy the Mighty as inspiration.
Has he gone on record to saying that? Because if so, that awesome. Birdy the Mighty has some fantastic fight scenes in the anime and is a great basis for choreographing any battle you would want in a big budget action-orientated film.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Is he? Seriously? I know Guillermo del Toro confiding is since he's gone on record to saying that Pacific Rim was basically one big shout-out to practically every mecha robot and Kaiju anime every made.
Has he gone on record to saying that? Because if so, that awesome. Birdy the Mighty has some fantastic fight scenes in the anime and is a great basis for choreographing any battle you would want in a big budget action-orientated film.
He mentioned that in an interview with Anime-Anime. While I'm not a fan of Snyder as a director, I'll admit he has a keen eye for visuals. Those scenes in Man of Steel were visually impressive, although the film is bland as hell.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Bland in what respect?

There would have to be more to the director than an eye for visuals, action scenes, and an enjoyment of anime. Snyder is all wrong for DB.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

ABED wrote:Bland in what respect?

There would have to be more to the director than an eye for visuals, action scenes, and an enjoyment of anime. Snyder is all wrong for DB.
Man of Steel is bland in terms of storytelling. Cavill is one of the worst actors to play Superman although he looks the part.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 pm

It's all possible with a proper budget
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm

I feel like that they need to make a live action movie without trying to copy off from the MCU. DBE already felt like they are trying to be like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, but with Dragon Ball. Just make a fun big budget kung fu movie that respects the source material and not a typical CG summer blockbuster like Transformers.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/