How far away are we from a "proper Hollywood treatment"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

How far away are we from a "proper Hollywood treatment"?

Post by Pluto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 am

First of call guys ,

YES, Evolution should be a banned word around here (too bad for Mitsubishi's),
and YES, everything Hollywood touches is fucked up massively, we've seen what they did with Ghost in the Shell (and DB).

However, how-the-effing-eeeeever,

I've just seen Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and any bloody argument against giving us something THAT GOOD is now pointless.
I know that the Japanese stuff is hardly adaptable to the west (unless it's horror), but Guardians of the Galaxy itself does not seem very much targeted to any audience, so i am not talking with the sense of targeting or dumbing down the story.
Seriously, the amount of DB moves the movie had was pissing me off.

Sorry for whoever hates this subject, and whoever feels their view have been offended, but you should've seen it coming :P.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

sintzu
Banned

Re: How far away are we from a "proper Hollywood treatment"?

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:30 am

I think with the right people, with the right studio and with the right budget, a live action DB movie can be done and done really well. We've gotten tech that can make CGI animals look as real as ever so anything in DB can be brought to life.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8X9kSU3rk Quills vs Ego
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bENW3CBMjA Yondu's Arrow at action

^ solid examples

the movie would need at least an hour of passive introduction though
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:20 am

Vol. 2 had it's moments but overall it was pretty bland. I really don't see something like that happening any time soon, hollywood sucks at handling (or understanding) japanese culture and entertainment, everything foreign gets dulled down and americanized :roll: it's all about nice visuals and a simple story

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am

mute_proxy wrote:Vol. 2 had it's moments but overall it was pretty bland. I really don't see something like that happening any time soon, hollywood sucks at handling (or understanding) japanese culture and entertainment, everything foreign gets dulled down and americanized :roll: it's all about nice visuals and a simple story
Simple is often better. I find myself getting annoyed by stories that try to be complex and end up being convoluted. DB isn't a complicated story, which is in part why it's been so popular. That said, I agree that Hollywood's handling of anime adaptations has been less than stellar. Toei has a hard time capturing Toriyama's voice, so I don't expect Hollywood to do any better.

And bland is not the adjective I would use for Vol. 2.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

What would you use? It felt like a by the numbers sequel, lacking the charm that the first one had.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 am

mute_proxy wrote:What would you use? It felt like a by the numbers sequel, lacking the charm that the first one had.
It had more charm and the ending was surprisingly emotional. The funeral combined with the perfect song created one of the most satisfying endings I've seen in any movie. Having an interesting villain also helped a lot.

It's not as much the visuals that are the issue, it's the feel. DB has a very specific feel and I have little interest in seeing it done in live action. It's best suited for animation. Toei has a hard time getting it, the dub sure as hell didn't get it until recently, so I don't see a live action film getting it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am

mute_proxy wrote:Vol. 2 had it's moments but overall it was pretty bland.
I think you mean teeth grindingly obnoxious.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:20 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
I guess so, it felt like a rehash of the first one just on a bigger scale

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 am

mute_proxy wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
I guess so, it felt like a rehash of the first one just on a bigger scale
It's the only MCU movie that really deserves the criticism of "forcing humor into everything" if you ask me. Usually I think that's a massive exagaration but this is most definitely a movie that ruins everything by inserting a joke at every possible opportunity. The big reveal scene has a David Hasslehof thing because lolz the movie mentioned him. It's like if Empire Strikes Back had Luke shit his pants as a gag during the "I am your father!" bit because the director/studio thought the audience would be too shocked or horrified and need something to lighten them up.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 am

It is in no way a rehash.
It's like if Empire Strikes Back had Luke shit his pants as a gag during the "I am your father!" bit
Not really since Star Wars has a very different tone. That sort of humor doesn't feel a part of that world, whereas it does in the MCU. I agree that it undercuts the moment, but your comparison doesn't fit. Much in the same way that Gotenks vs. Buu was undercut by the humor, but at least it felt like a part of that world.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Mate you were right about it. Total shitshow, the plotting was like DB Andriod arc onwards so in that regard I see a comparison, the whole thing hinged on Rocket stealing the batteries and the only reason they bothered to give was he did "just cuz". Awful. The film there on in was so mehhhh, segregation of the group, jokes never ending and we all saw that "twist" happening a mile away. Yawn.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 am

What if I say about a million light years long?

FMAB, DN, AoT all received great film adaptation, not necessarily Americanized just to appeal international market.

All had at some point input from original authors & real dedicated staffs working on the project

DragonBall is an universally appealing, dominant series. Nolan, Tarantino & Emmerich are apt directors & Fox/Universal/Paramount would be dream come true

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 am

Vijay wrote: FMAB, DN, AoT all received great film adaptation, not necessarily Americanized just to appeal international market.
Woah wwoah woaah did you say FM, DN and AoT had received great film adaptations? DN can be overlooked I guess, but FM and AoT? :crazy:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am

the whole thing hinged on Rocket stealing the batteries and the only reason they bothered to give was he did "just cuz". Awful.
It's in character. That's part of his arc. He does things to test boundaries, including with his friends.

Nolan, Tarantino & Emmerich are apt directors & Fox/Universal/Paramount would be dream come true
You just threw random directors out there. Does DB seem like it's remotely up Nolan's alley or Tarantino's for that matter?
Last edited by ABED on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:04 am

mute_proxy wrote:What would you use? It felt like a by the numbers sequel, lacking the charm that the first one had.
Visually psychedelia made it work for me, it was action packed up to a point, not boring, AND i did read fans complaining about how Ego, the father, was the directors idea, but those are Marvel fans full of expectations.

YOU SEE, this is where you got me wrong. NOBODY would dare making a diversion of Star Wars, cause Star Wars either has hard core fans, or just casual viewers that never remember anything about it, yet the story itself has so much space to change, IT DOESNT, cause of fanbase pressure.

My point is, not targeting an audience.

I expected Interstellar to be huge, but they just had to make it "HUMANS ARE IMPORTANT" with the last 30 minutes, that made me walk out of the cinema. That was my "hype", cause on the way of making that bloody movie, a programmer and a astrophysicist sat down to do some simulations, and found out odd and new things about the accretion disks of the black holes, me being in to physics just made me disappointed af on that movie.

Who could've Guardians of the Galaxy disappoint? a very minor fanbase.

DB would be extremely hard to do, it would need down-to-earth hair styles, removing animal earth citizens, which most of the people would find hard to swallow.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 am

It has little if anything to do with the size of the fanbase.

It's ironic that we're talking about Guardians and you think people would find anthropomorphized animals too much even though they accept a talking tree and raccoon.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

Oh yes, the moment i read my post again i said exactly the same thing.

It's incredible what shit one comes up with through wishful thinking :P... :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am

Often franchises don't take risks with sequels and they become rehashes, but not always. People will accept a good story even if it's different than they expected. It might take a little time for it to sink in but I think people come around.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am

ABED wrote:It is in no way a rehash.
It's like if Empire Strikes Back had Luke shit his pants as a gag during the "I am your father!" bit
Not really since Star Wars has a very different tone. That sort of humor doesn't feel a part of that world, whereas it does in the MCU. I agree that it undercuts the moment, but your comparison doesn't fit. Much in the same way that Gotenks vs. Buu was undercut by the humor, but at least it felt like a part of that world.
I don't like this part of the MCU world, that whole universe would appeal to me much more if it knew when to say no to jokes and Guardians 2 NEVER knows how to say no. Another fantastic example is Aunt May finding out Peter is Spider-Man in Homecoming, that should be a big deal but it's a last second gag. Yeah, it's funny but it undermines what could have been a great scene for the sequel for the sake of momentary laughs.

Seriously, why's Winter Solider one of the rare MCU movies that knew how not to suck dick at proper scene tone?