Does Tanaka play a more convincing male than Nozawa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Does Tanaka play a more convincing male than Nozawa?

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm

From what I've observed online few people if anyone has a problem with her luffy or even her Krillin. Even during screams like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqKcnbbdEw. Nobody hears "old lady" in his voice but for Goku his voice just sound's like "a grandma on the toilet" during power ups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OELsW61PrU. So what exactly make Nozawa's Goku more "old ladylike".
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: Does Tanaka play a more convincing male than Nozawa?

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I mean no disrespect to either, but I would say, yes, in my experience, her voice generally feels better (or less ill-fitting, at least...) for a male character. I have had this thought as well, btw.

I think people generally take issue with Goku more because he's tall and buff. Kuririn is petite and an underdog, so possibly it feels more natural. Tanaka's voice a bit deeper too.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:From what I've observed online few people if anyone has a problem with her luffy or even her Krillin. Even during screams like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqKcnbbdEw. Nobody hears "old lady" in his voice but for Goku his voice just sound's like "a grandma on the toilet" during power ups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OELsW61PrU. So what exactly make Nozawa's Goku more "old ladylike".
Nozawa's Goku never really sounded like an old lady to me, but I guess the reason why people think Nozawa's Goku sounds more like an old lady than Krillin is because Nozawa is older than Tanaka or something like that, I don't know.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Tanaka might actually be better at it (I swear I remember some interview in the last year or two where someone specifically praised Tanaka for being good at "boy" voices, though I can't find it), but I think it's mostly that Luffy and Krillin aren't usually drawn to be tall and bulging with muscles like adult Goku is, so there's less of a disconnect between how someone would stereotypically expect the character to sound based on their appearance and the voice actually coming out of their mouth with Tanaka's roles compared to Nozawa's.

Also Mayumi Tanaka is about 18 years younger than Masako Nozawa, for whatever that's worth on the "not sounding like an old lady" side of things.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Have we already forgotten Goku Black?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Duo wrote:Have we already forgotten Goku Black?
He seem's to be the exception even among dub fans, and Nozawa's Black is only a bit deeper than her serious Goku voice back in the day. I also think it helps that she actually lower's the pitch of her power up screams when voicing Black.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 am

She fits Goku Black because Goku black is more like a bishounen version of Goku with God Complex,not to mention it does help that she uses a deeper tone for Goku black than she does for Goku.
If i am being honest her voice fits Goku black way much better than it ever did for Goku.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 am

Whatever wrote:
She fits Goku Black because Goku black is more like a bishounen version of Goku with God Complex,not to mention it does help that she uses a deeper tone for Goku black than she does for Goku.
If i am being honest her voice fits Goku black way much better than it ever did for Goku.
She works for Goku as well. Most dub fan's just won't be willing to watch Dragon Ball all the way through in Japanese. It works because her 18 year old gokuhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pFpsR0BQ4 is just an aged up version her little 15 year old Gokuhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfh4hVU3tgI before his training with Kami. It's the same with Naruto even though Takeuchi does it a little better she just ages up the child voice of a character she plays. Goku in Part 1 has a higher voice than Naruto in part 1 so it makes sense when both are aged 3 years that Goku still has the higher voice between the two. Also I don't see anything bishounen about Black.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

The characters must be considered. Tanaka's Luffy is more mature and grown-up than Nozawa's Goku, who is pretty much a boy in the body of a (now grandpaternal) warrior.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm

I think this has more to do with Tanaka being the best option because they dont like Clinkenbeard,Diana Perez (I love her, she's amazing but the dub for One Piece was terrible in Latin America). I love Clinkenbeard and Diana Perez but I still prefer Tanaka. I found someoneone who said Luffy sounded gay in the Latin American dub (Which I had no love for since its terrible) but I still said "You know, Luffy is still played by a woman in Japanese" and he said "I know, which is why I prefer the Spain dub".

Give them a better alternative and they'll flock right to it. Its just that Tanaka is the best overall option...and that One Piece is very unpopular anyway.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Tanaka's just a little bit deeper in pitch than Nozawa, but I think it's just deeper enough where people who aren't used to it are less likely to be turned off.

There are actual measurements for the average pitch of male and female voices, but I don't know where Krillin and Gokû fall on that scale.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

That's the one issue with women voicing men in anime, the screams, try as they might, just don't sound masculine at all. Generally the speaking voices can be pulled off but it's hard for any VA to do everything in their character's voice. Yajirobe is not a convincing male in the slightest in Japanese so Nozawa has the edge there, though I can't remember what Kuririn's Japanese voice sounds like.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 pm

It's all about the size of your vocal chords. Men's voices are deeper partly because their vocal chords are larger. There are frequencies that overlap between men and women's voices which allows one to make their voice sound more like the other's, but there's only so deep you can go due to the size and thickness of your vocal chords.
(Health also plays a role; back when I was injured I was able to speak at a much deeper pitch than I naturally would've been able to because one of my vocal chords wasn't able to move as well. That skill was only temporary and now I'm healed up and back to my usual vocal range).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 pm

floofychan333 wrote:That's the one issue with women voicing men in anime, the screams, try as they might, just don't sound masculine at all. Generally the speaking voices can be pulled off but it's hard for any VA to do everything in their character's voice. Yajirobe is not a convincing male in the slightest in Japanese so Nozawa has the edge there, though I can't remember what Kuririn's Japanese voice sounds like.
I believe the screaming and the high pitched voice she does when Goku is struggling to speak are the main issue people have with her voice. Although Nozawa's normal and serious Goku voice isn't that high pitched, Majin boo and #19 in the dub have way more high pitched voices.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
He seem's to be the exception even among dub fans, and Nozawa's Black is only a bit deeper than her serious Goku voice back in the day. I also think it helps that she actually lower's the pitch of her power up screams when voicing Black.
The standout moment for me was the Kamehameha when future Zamasu was restraining Goku and Trunks. Nozawa can definitely perform a completely convincing male part, it's just that Goku proper isn't meant to be played that way. Kuririn generally makes a more believable male largely due the direction of the character in terms of vocal performance.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:57 pm

It depends on which era we're talking about I suppose. I found Nozawa's younger performance as Goku to never cross into the "old lady" territory that I have heard many fans complain about and instead often had a softness that she sadly lost as she aged. Tanaka has been very consistent in her voicing of Krillin over the years so that point is moot for her. I'd say that Nozawa had a slight edge over Tanaka during Z but Tanaka definitely does a better job now than Nozawa. Both are incredibly talented actors that I have a lot of respect for.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:56 am

I think it has all got to do with the Dub fans being used to Dub voices which are deeper than Japanese one and also, Gokū isn't short character like Kuririn but a tall masculine Character so that's why if someone watches the Japanese version first time, their first impression of Gokū Japanese voice is bad and they end up disliking it but I am sure even if someother Woman was picked to voice Gokū in Japanese, it would still piss off dub fans because seeing his muscular body and deep voices in dub it can be a bit jarring for dub fans.

I personally Don't hear a granny tone in Nozawa voice of Gokū that many dub fans do.i watched the whole Series in Japanese and in some Scenes I actually found Tanaka's Voice to sound closer to feminine than Nozawa's but I don't care both are great Seiyū and good friends too,Tanaka may have a Slightly Deeper voice but still it doesn't matter to me.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I think it has all got to do with the Dub fans being used to Dub voices which are deeper than Japanese one and also, Gokū isn't short character like Kuririn but a tall masculine Character so that's why if someone watches the Japanese version first time, their first impression of Gokū Japanese voice is bad and they end up disliking it but I am sure even if someother Woman was picked to voice Gokū in Japanese, it would still piss off dub fans because seeing his muscular body and deep voices in dub it can be a bit jarring for dub fans.

I personally Don't hear a granny tone in Nozawa voice of Gokū that many dub fans do.i watched the whole Series in Japanese and in some Scenes I actually found Tanaka's Voice to sound closer to feminine than Nozawa's but I don't care both are great Seiyū and good friends too,Tanaka may have a Slightly Deeper voice but still it doesn't matter to me.
I don't think people realize that tall people can have high voices.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Do you think people would be more accepting of Nozawa's Goku if he had a skinny body like luffy?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Do you think people would be more accepting of Nozawa's Goku if he had a skinny body like luffy?
maybe
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30