Battle of Gods looks much better than Resurrection F

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Battle of Gods looks much better than Resurrection F

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Recently, I noticed that the two most recent films, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, are very different in how they present themselves. A relook at many scenes from Battle of Gods showed that F lacked a lot of the visual direction that the former had. There was a lot more partical and visual effects, interesting camera work and framing and a lot more film techniques in that film than in the next. The art also looked plain in F in comparison to BoG with a lot of it lacking any real oomph like it did in Battle of Gods. I know that this can all be chalked up to a difference in director between the two films, and F still looks presentable for a film all things considered, but am I the only one who noticed a significant downgrade between the two movies?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

precita
Banned

Re: Battle of Gods looks much better than Resurrection F

Post by precita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

I haven't noticed this myself, but they probably put extra work into Battle of Gods because it was the first new movie or Dragonball related produced in decades not counting specials or Kai. They didn't want to half-ass it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Agreed, in retrospect BoG was the first step towards getting DB back into relevance and onto TV with a new series. Don't really want to screw that up.

I personally think that RoF has the better story though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Yamamuro is somehow a worse director than Hosoda Masahiro. It was his first film without any major experience before, so he doesn't have a style. Heck, Hosoda isn't even a good director or has a distinctive style, either.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Form what I remember (been a while) I thought "F" looked miles better than BoG, in terms of consistent good looking art. BoG wins for action scenes but a majority of the film was non-action. "F" definitely suffered from a weak SB.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:43 pm

I think RF looked better from a basic art point of view but in erms of things like the fights and enviornments, BOG is better.

This could be due to a few things :

1- It was developed longer as we know Toriyama got the script around 2011 so it probably had at least 2 years of development compared to RF's 1.5.

2- BOG got financial help from a Japanese organization.

3- BOG was Toriyama's first written movie and not only that, it was the 1st main DB product in 18 years.

4- They couldn't have known how successful it would be so they had to go all out to ensure it made as much as possible as a lot of companies were relying on it to fully bring the franchise back.

Although I think RF is a really good movie and am expecting future movies to be good as well, I think BOG will remain the superior movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:23 am

Ignoring the fact that one person storyboarded five episodes worth of material in a single month by himself, Yamamuro did have enough time to also design, direct and act as the animation supervisor for the film. The film also only had one technical director, Kureta Kouhei. For Kami to Kami the film was storyboarded by six people (for a storyboard the length of six episodes) and had Hosoda Masahiro also act as the technical director. Both movies had six animation supervisors and Yamamuro as the chief animation supervisor. For his film, Yamamuro seemed intent to be as hands-on as possible, but his flat layouts and lack of interest in colors and sound make the film feel less lively than the prior film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:23 am

No shit

RoF was God-like compared to trash which was BOG

Visceral, hard-hitting "1 hit return for 1 hit received" classic DBZ style brawl utilized in RoF puts BOG's "butterfly fight" to shame

The storyboarding, direction & "time-reverse" finale in RoF is light years superior to BoG's graphic, haphazardly edited fight scenes

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 am

Barring Chioka's boarding in the early parts of the film and the climactic fight (which I assume was boarded by Hosoda), it isn't good. The dialogue scenes were meh. Hosoda Masahiro not having any distinctive style didn't help.

But, yeah it is better than the terribly directed and lifeless atmosphere that was present throughout F, thanks to Yamamuro. Anything is better than F, imo.