What did you think of Cell and Freeza's "friendship" in the anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

What did you think of Cell and Freeza's "friendship" in the anime?

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 pm

The two characters obviously never interacted in the manga, and its clear that there's no way the two of them could've ever interacted in Hell in the current continuity, but as far as the Z anime and GT are concerned, the two of them had something of a villainous friendship going on.

That being said, what does everyone think of this anime-only dynamic?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: What did you think of Cell and Freeza's "friendship" in the anime?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 am

Y'know, it really doesn't surprise me. They're both crazy evil dudes who killed guys we liked and share a mutual hatred for Goku, though Cells' Saiyajin blood might trigger Freeza.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:25 pm

It's not anime-only when they interacted in plenty of videogames too by now :P

I feel that in reality Cell would never want to work with Freeza. He's too prideful and has his genes already, so working with "a mere part of himself" would be a disgrace to Cell's honor.

Likewisw for Freeza, who is used to ruling. He would try to get rid of Cell at any opportunity.

Their friendship felt forced and done just because they were two long-running villains.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Never liked it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:49 am

They have something to bond over: their hatred for Goku... and Gohan, I guess. Cell has Freeza's genes, so there's familiarity there, and since they're basically on the same side, it's fine. Cell doesn't overstep Freeza's boundaries because Cell is much more laidback. So, it's fine. Just because it never happened in the manga, doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:They have something to bond over: their hatred for Goku... and Gohan, I guess. Cell has Freeza's genes, so there's familiarity there, and since they're basically on the same side, it's fine. Cell doesn't overstep Freeza's boundaries because Cell is much more laidback. So, it's fine. Just because it never happened in the manga, doesn't mean it's automatically bad.
Thats a problem.Cell never hated Goku,after all why would he?He defeated Goku,killed him and even got IT thanks to him.
So in GT it was out of character for him to stay in Hell to defeat/kill Goku.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 pm

I don't know. Cell might have had no reason to hate Goku, but Cell definitely was able to develop hatred, especially when losing. That was obvious when he started getting angrier and angrier the more that his fight with Gohan continued. It's perfectly logical to assume that as Goku got stronger and stronger, that he'd develop a hatred toward Goku as well.

Of course, GT springboards off of the filler in Z and in Z, Goku and Paikuhan defeated Cell, Freeza, and the others rather easily. Cell was then privy to watching Goku defeat Boo. That definitely seems to add to his hatred of Goku.

I don't know, to be honest, I never really put that much thought into it. It's a simple, dumb little "baddies team up" premise, but it just never really bugged me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 pm

It's an interesting pairing that I like.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:50 pm

It was a good idea but they never went all out with it. Durng the super 17 arc, they could've had them tag team Gohan and Vegeta while Goku fought 17. we could've gotten an epic 3vs3 fight.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am

Are they friends? I just remember them teaming up to fight Goku, then arguing with each other a lot when it didn't work.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 am

Their interaction always seemed like they just wanted to get Goku out of the way so they could fight among themselves.

It's not like they even really teamed up. They took turns just like Vegeta and Goku do initially until Goku started humiliating them as child in his base form. That's when they got pissed off and went with their plan. Seems like a pretty standard interaction to me.

My favorite was when Cell reminds Frieza that he's the one who killed Goku. That kind of banter is exactly what I'd expect.
Are they friends? I just remember them teaming up to fight Goku, then arguing with each other a lot when it didn't work.
That's literally exactly what happened. They weren't hanging out drinking tea and it was pretty evident that when Goku was out of the way they would be fighting each other.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:28 am

I do think you could create an interesting dynamic between them where they aren't enemies without the common goal of defeating Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 am

ABED wrote:I do think you could create an interesting dynamic between them where they aren't enemies without the common goal of defeating Goku.
They seem way too competitive and arrogant. I just can't see why they would tolerate each other long term.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 am

I get your point, but I think someone could make it work.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm

I liked that one part in GT when Kid Gokū was trapped in Hell and Cell was mocking Freeza by saying something like "To think that the strongest in the Universe will be reduced to dust...." and then we have Gokū mocking cell by the same line, I don't know I found that hillarious :lol:
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Are we talking of the first Buu arc episode? I remember Freeza complimenting Cell.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

My favourite use of it was actually in the plot of Fusions, when they were basically a pair of Saturday-morning cartoon villains. No grand motivations like gaining immortality, asserting dominance or seeking revenge. They just teamed up to Do Some Evil together. And then they fused into Celluza. That was pretty fun.

I'd like to see it explored in a more canon work, but I don't see it happening given the power boost Frieza got in RoF. Their teamups in the anime worked because they were near enough in strength with Cell being the dominant one. But now Frieza's so far above Cell and I don't think he'd treat it like an equal partnership the way Cell did.

Taingo

Post by Taingo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 am

Eh, I never liked it. I always thought Cell would treat Frieza as a sort of subordinate, and Frieza wouldn't work well with someone who's so clearly stronger than he was. I always thought their egos would clash, even as a kid

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 am

My question is how would he get along with zarbon. That is the funnier question. It's a shame he doesn't have zarbon and the ginyu forces dna.. That would be funny. He would never use body switching without a good reason because he thinks he's perfect but so did captain ginyu.

I would think they would get along amicably. Then violently. then god knows. It would be a very love hate relationship. Frieza would see a lot of himself in cell, then a lot of goku. then vegeta, then gohan, then his father, then....

If I were to guess, in hell, they will one day force frieza to see cell as a therapist.

Who are all the people cell has making him up? the wiki makes it sounds like just goku, vegeta, piccolo, and Freeza. I thought he was also tien and krillin and yamcha etc. At which point did the Freeza in him override the roshi weakness? Cause if roshi's in there they could have possibly just brought out bulma and flashed the panties.

http://ultradragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Cell
Genetic Composition and Unique AbilitiesEdit

Cell is composed of cells from Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Frieza, and King Cold. He also knows the informations about Nappa, Raditz, Gohan, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu, Krillin, Yamcha, and Future Trunks that were collected by Dr. Gero's insect tracking device and stocked in the Super Computer. Cell is therefore able to use their attacks (ex. Kamehameha, Regeneration etc.)
I thought it was more than this.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

I always liked Freeza and Cell: Hell Buddies, despite how silly it was.