Dragon Ball and dating experiences?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball and dating experiences?

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 pm

I generally keep dragon ball out of my dating or personal life. It is very commonly referred to as a children's cartoon(which it is), so it is difficult to explain to my girlfriend or professional colleague how a grown man still watches and collects Dragonball stuff.
El Conejo Malo

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Bardo117 wrote:I generally keep dragon ball out of my dating or personal life. It is very commonly referred to as a children's cartoon(which it is), so it is difficult to explain to my girlfriend or professional colleague how a grown man still watches and collects Dragonball stuff.
While I can understand it being daunting at first if your ultimate goal is to have a future with someone being a Dragon Ball fan is inevitably going to come up. Not referring to your girlfriend specifically but if anything the right girl will accept your interest in this franchise because if they don't they're not accepting you for who you are. At the end of the day while everyone might not understand the appeal of Dragon Ball there is far worse obsessions and addictions people have, you aren't hurting anyone by being a Dragon Ball fan so why should a significant other care?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Naw, from my experience not many girls I've been around were ever really into Dragonball. Most preferred Sailor Moon. My sister liked Dragonball but that's mainly because she was the youngest and was forced to watch whatever we were watching.

I did have a girlfriend who watched Dragonball with me. I would sit and watch through a few episodes and she would watch with me. Until I realized that while I was thoroughly enjoying it, she was only doing it because I liked it. It was almost like a chore for her. It took me weeks to figure that out.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Angrist Hand

Post by Angrist Hand » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 pm

It's not hard to get your girl to watch Dragon Ball, channel your alpha

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 am

I only channel my ki. More specifically, I share the genki portion with those I'm involved with. Every word is already said.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 am

On one hand, I'm envious that some of you guys seem to have girls that are down to watch DB with you. On the other hand, I don't really do it myself anymore. How many times can I see the same thing over and over again? I'd rather go to the magna for a little bit. My attention and interest is diverted for now. When I get around to getting Super (more so than Boo Kai, as I haven't even really watched the rest of Kai that I've collected), then maybe we'd see (and she's fine being around while I watch it as long as she can do other things). But until then, it's really not a big deal. I'm used to not really talking about DB in real life, as I don't know anyone else who's into it as much as I am. Most of my friends are like, "Oh yeah, it was awesome! Yeah!" but really never dove into it like I -- or any of us -- has. So really, I guess it's no big deal for me.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:I generally keep dragon ball out of my dating or personal life. It is very commonly referred to as a children's cartoon(which it is), so it is difficult to explain to my girlfriend or professional colleague how a grown man still watches and collects Dragonball stuff.
While I can understand it being daunting at first if your ultimate goal is to have a future with someone being a Dragon Ball fan is inevitably going to come up. Not referring to your girlfriend specifically but if anything the right girl will accept your interest in this franchise because if they don't they're not accepting you for who you are. At the end of the day while everyone might not understand the appeal of Dragon Ball there is far worse obsessions and addictions people have, you aren't hurting anyone by being a Dragon Ball fan so why should a significant other care?
My girlfriend knows, she's seen my huge collection of figures and Dragonboxes, and we've spoken about the vast amounts of money I've spent on the series. But I wouldn't make her watch it because I don't see a good way of having her watch what she considers a 'children's show'
El Conejo Malo

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:On one hand, I'm envious that some of you guys seem to have girls that are down to watch DB with you. On the other hand, I don't really do it myself anymore. How many times can I see the same thing over and over again? I'd rather go to the magna for a little bit. My attention and interest is diverted for now. When I get around to getting Super (more so than Boo Kai, as I haven't even really watched the rest of Kai that I've collected), then maybe we'd see (and she's fine being around while I watch it as long as she can do other things). But until then, it's really not a big deal. I'm used to not really talking about DB in real life, as I don't know anyone else who's into it as much as I am. Most of my friends are like, "Oh yeah, it was awesome! Yeah!" but really never dove into it like I -- or any of us -- has. So really, I guess it's no big deal for me.
The trick is moderation. Me and my girlfriend are incredibly passionate fans of Ratchet & Clank, but that doesn't mean that we talk about it or play it every waking hour, and neither of us feel obligated to.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Nah. I really can't communicate how little I talk about DB in the real world. It's as if I'm not a fan at all. I have nobody o talk about it with and it's been like that practically since it stopped airing "new" episodes. Even when there was someone to talk to about it, it was a super shallow conversation about how "cool Gohan was when he turned into that thing and beat Cell." So I'm used to the internet being the only real place where I get to geek out for DB.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Nah. I really can't communicate how little I talk about DB in the real world. It's as if I'm not a fan at all. I have nobody o talk about it with and it's been like that practically since it stopped airing "new" episodes. Even when there was someone to talk to about it, it was a super shallow conversation about how "cool Gohan was when he turned into that thing and beat Cell." So I'm used to the internet being the only real place where I get to geek out for DB.
In general I don't really talk about DB with others unless I suddenly spurt out a description of why the electric rice cooker is significant to my parents, or I talk to my one friend who likes DB or my cousin who grew up with it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am

The best thing for those of us who have children now, we can raise them watching Dragon ball and no one will bat an eye. :clap:
El Conejo Malo