Dub lines and even aspects that you like.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Dub lines and even aspects that you like.

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:01 pm

For some reason this one makes me laugh a lot:
"You take that back! You'll regret saying that! You're nothing but a machine made of tin! You're just a bunch of toys made by a crazy old man! And don't forget that tin toys can be broken!"
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm

At the end of Dragon Ball episode 28 when Goku is eating all the food in the restaurant. There's one bit in the dub where one of the waiters walks by Roshi and he asks him for pepper. I have no idea why but that moment is just funny to me, maybe because of how random it is. In the Japanese version, he just asks to get more food.

And then these two scenes from Super crack me up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgTKxG1kkU
https://youtu.be/6kNR-57vOvc?t=45

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm

When Krillin imitates Yajirobe: "And Vegetas furious for cutting off his tail! so Yajirobe goes, "please sir, I really admire you and I'd like to join you if it's not too late"

"AND THIS IS TO GO... EVEN FURTHER BEYOND"

Also line from season 3 dub.
King Kai and Yamcha/Tien/Chiaotzu/Piccolo just found out that Porunga can only wish back one person at a time. So Tien starts counting the four of them on his fingers.

And then Yamcha says "just count your eyes and add one." That cracked me up :lol:

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Tenshinhan's "You just until it grows back!" after Nappa breaks off his arm.

Absolutely perfect. Not just because of the blatant censorship. Not just because they still included a clip of the villain punching a guy's goddamn arm off. Not just because of Ten now gaining Piccolo's abilities. But also because it seems like he'll really give Nappa a beating after he gets back his arm. That he's confident it won't just, like, get punched off again. That he also has Metal Cooler's power to get stronger after losing an arm. Unfortunately Tenshinhan had to squander his tactical advantage by using the Kikoho to teleport to another dimension (coward).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:22 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Tenshinhan's "You just until it grows back!" after Nappa breaks off his arm.

Absolutely perfect. Not just because of the blatant censorship. Not just because they still included a clip of the villain punching a guy's goddamn arm off. Not just because of Ten now gaining Piccolo's abilities. But also because it seems like he'll really give Nappa a beating after he gets back his arm. That he's confident it won't just, like, get punched off again. That he also has Metal Cooler's power to get stronger after losing an arm. Unfortunately Tenshinhan had to squander his tactical advantage by using the Kikoho to teleport to another dimension (coward).
As much as I like the Saban-Ocean dub, that one makes me laugh everytime.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Tenshinhan's "You just until it grows back!" after Nappa breaks off his arm.

As much as I like the Saban-Ocean dub, that one makes me laugh everytime.
It feels like an Abridged line, that's how ridiculous it is!

It also makes a certain amount of sense given Tien's more supernatural arts style, but I highly doubt the dubbers knew that as they hadn't touched dubbing Dragon Ball at that point.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:45 pm

There are many, but the ones that I can think of right off the bat is when Majin Buu gets denied a kiss from a young woman and says lines such as

"You think Buu sexy?" "Why you teasin' Buu?", "How's Buu supposed to live up to body image in magazine?", "You girls don't know what you want! How do you like candy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM1tMG6f7h8
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 pm

I do think that the music that was used for Goku's SSJ3 transformation in the original Funimation dub was pretty great. While I certainly don't condone the use of replacement scores in any dub (unless we're talking about Power Rangers or something), the music works surprisingly well for that scene.