Things different in the manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Things different in the manga

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Bulma doesn't interact with Frog Ginyu.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 pm

There are many small or big differences between the manga and the anime. To name just some off the top of my head:

All the tenkaichi budokais take place during several days in the anime, as opposed to the same day in the manga, so everyone stays at hotels for a couple of nights at least.

In the manga, when Ten Shin Han goes to fight Piccolo Daimaoh and arrives to King Castle, he realizes the electric rice pot for the mafuuba is broken after all the training, so he decides to fight Piccolo to the death. In the anime, the rice pot is intact and he tries the mafuuba on Piccolo, but Drum gets on the way and Piccolo destroys the rice pot before Drum gets sealed in it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm

sanorin wrote:In the manga, when Ten Shin Han goes to fight Piccolo Daimaoh and arrives to King Castle, he realizes the electric rice pot for the mafuuba is broken after all the training, so he decides to fight Piccolo to the death. In the anime, the rice pot is intact and he tries the mafuuba on Piccolo, but Drum gets on the way and Piccolo destroys the rice pot before Drum gets sealed in it.
Augh, this one sucked the edit for T1C. He goes through all that training and practice for nothing!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:23 pm

sanorin wrote:All the tenkaichi budokais take place during several days in the anime, as opposed to the same day in the manga, so everyone stays at hotels for a couple of nights at least.
That's mostly true, but I'd like to clarify that for others, if I may. It's really only the 22nd Budoukai that actually spaces the tournament itself across multiple days. For the 21st and 23rd, the whole thing is held on the same day. However, all three of them place the registration the night before the tournament starts, so by that metric, it expands the timeline.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
sanorin wrote:All the tenkaichi budokais take place during several days in the anime, as opposed to the same day in the manga, so everyone stays at hotels for a couple of nights at least.
That's mostly true, but I'd like to clarify that for others, if I may. It's really only the 22nd Budoukai that actually spaces the tournament itself across multiple days. For the 21st and 23rd, the whole thing is held on the same day. However, all three of them place the registration the night before the tournament starts, so by that metric, it expands the timeline.
You are right, sorry. By "all" I actually meant only 21st and 22nd, but I guess it's only the 22nd. I was under the impression that the 21st also had a night break during the actual tournament, but it was just a short break due to heavy rain, where Giran was brawling in a bar or something.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 am

sanorin wrote:You are right, sorry. By "all" I actually meant only 21st and 22nd, but I guess it's only the 22nd. I was under the impression that the 21st also had a night break during the actual tournament, but it was just a short break due to heavy rain, where Giran was brawling in a bar or something.
I just edited this for T1C, and the sign-ups are the previous night; Goku is surprised about it when Yamcha mentions that the actual competition is the next day. Anime-only, of course.

Sticking with the anime, the 22nd doesn't I don't think, but there's a break in the middle where Tsuru Sen'nin tries to assassinate Goku during the night (the sign-ups are shown during the day). The 23rd has it where the characters sign up in the evening, we have the filler with Piccolo and the destroyed clock tower at night, and then the tournament proper begins the next day as in the 21st.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 am

KBABZ wrote:Sticking with the anime, the 22nd doesn't I don't think, but there's a break in the middle where Tsuru Sen'nin tries to assassinate Goku during the night (the sign-ups are shown during the day). The 23rd has it where the characters sign up in the evening, we have the filler with Piccolo and the destroyed clock tower at night, and then the tournament proper begins the next day as in the 21st.
In the 22nd, they still sign up the day before anything else happens. The tournament itself takes four days.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm suprised no mention this disturbing scene that was changed in the anime[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]What i remember
    -Freeza kills cargo
      -vegeta kills guldo with a karate chop instead shooting a laser to his neck
        -Is generally more violent compared to the anime,just look at the image i posted above,gero killing the pedestrian,the cell jr death and the scene where freeza gets cut in half
          -The figths tend to be shorter,you would be suprised how short goku vs majin vegeta is
          Mostly active on discord.

Super Sonic
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Thing I noticed that is different is Vegeta's reaction to Zarbon asking for mercy and saying they could team up to take Frieza down. After finishing him off, in the manga he has a serious look on his face and says, "If Frieza could be defeated by the teaming of you and I, then he wouldn't be Frieza." In the anime however after finish Zarbon, he has an evil smile and says something along the lines of It not being sporting if that were to happen in the original Japanese. Funi redub had him talk about something of leaving Frieza to him or something while the Kai dub had something similar to the Japanese quote. So in the anime he didn't like the idea, while in the manga, he knew that simply them teaming up wouldn't take down Frieza.

8000 Saiyan
          I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Frieza kills Cargo instead of Dodoria.
          The fight between Super Saiyan Goku and Full-Powered Frieza is more one sided than in the anime.
          Gohan doesn't return to fight Final Form Frieza.
          Goku never shows Super Saiyan 3 to Goten and Trunks.
          Before Gohan goes off to fight Buu, Goku gives him a hug.
          Vegetto immediately turns into a Super Saiyan to fight Buu. He never fights Buu in his normal form.
          "It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

BlueBasilisk
          I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:05 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:In the anime, it takes Goku a while to transform into a Super Saiyan after Krillin is killed. In the manga, however, he transforms immediately after that happens.
          That's true for all the Super Saiyan transformations in the manga. They're very quick and punchy compared to the anime. Most of them happen on one page. Goku turning SS3 is the longest at 13 panels.

The end of Z is pretty different in the manga:
          -Trunks never visits Goku's house or Gohan and Videl's house
          -Gohan and Videl don't appear until everyone is on the island for the tournament
          -Most of the Goku-Pan bonding scenes are anime-only. The only time he really speaks to her is the beginning when she meets him in the field.
          -The fight between Goku and Uub is really short, lasting only 7 pages from start to finish
          -Goku doesn't speak to Vegeta, Trunks, Pan or Goten before he leaves with Uub. He flies to the window, tells his family he's leaving and takes off. A whole two panels.
          -We don't see what happens after Goku leaves the tournament. In the anime, the tournament is cancelled and we get a montage of Pan fighting Goten and everyone hanging around the empty grounds.

dbgtFO
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 am

BlueBasilisk wrote: The end of Z is pretty different in the manga:
          -Gohan and Videl don't appear until everyone is on the island for the tournament
          It is at the very end of the chapter, where Goku and co. return to Earth to celebrate Buu's demise.

Super_Divine_Genki
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:19 pm

I began collecting and reading the manga sometime back around 1999-2000, but I stopped purchasing at some point - I think that I got up to the Goku VS Vegeta fight(?). It's been so long, that I barely have the vaguest memory of it. And that was only starting at the Z part of the story (DBZ anime was still far from being released in-full in the U.S., and FUNi's release of the OG DB anime was still a few years away). So, as someone who still hasn't read the manga anywhere close to in-full, this thread is interesting.

One change that was made to the anime that I like better is that it was Dodoria that killed Cargo, rather than Freeza. That whole scenario at the village was great at showing what scumbags Freeza's henchmen were - particularly Dodoria. Keeping Freeza mostly "inactive" up until his encounter with Nail was a good move. If his henchmen were this brutal, then we could only imagine what their overlord was like.

Also, I had no idea that there were some panels in the manga that didn't make it to the anime adaptation.

BlueBasilisk
          I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:25 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
          BlueBasilisk wrote: The end of Z is pretty different in the manga:
          It is at the very end of the chapter, where Goku and co. return to Earth to celebrate Buu's demise.
          Somehow I'd never seen that. What a really strange place to put that page. :eh:

Super Sonic
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Don't know if this counts, but Bra is not named in the anime. Heck the manga only mentions her name and relationship to other characters on one chapter page, but in the anime she's not referred to by name, and we only get her relationship by her calling Bulma "Mama".

8000 Saiyan
          I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:48 pm

The nightmare that Goku has while he's underwater never happens.

KBABZ
          Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm

One I encountered just now: The fight with Goku and Giran is called off due to rain so they can pad out the first half of the episode with the filler at the milk bar. Similarly, in the 22nd WMAT, Goku's fight against Panpoot is padded out with pre-match filler and Goku being led astray by Panpoot's worried agent, so they can stretch half a chapter into an entire episode.