Android 21 Theory

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrUnusual

Android 21 Theory

Post by MrUnusual » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:53 am

For those who have not seen it yet (I'm sure you all have), Dragon Ball FighterZ revealed a new character to the Dragon Ball Franchise named Android 21

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2017/09/dra ... confirmed/

But... who is she?

My name is Julian, I am a Dragon Ball Theorist, I'm sort of kind of new to the community, this is my first time posting in years, I am currently one of the English re-translators for Dragon Ball Multiverse and a long time story analyst, especially for the Dragon Ball series and I wanted to share my theory about this characters as I have not seen this theory anywhere else yet.

Akira Toriyama stated in an interview that Android 16 is modeled after Dr. Gero's son who was a Red Ribbon Army soldier, he died in battle, likely during Goku's attack on the Red Ribbon Army back in Dragon Ball. In these photos, Android 21 is seen with 16, like him, she has red hair and her brilliance rivals that of Dr. Gero. I believe that she may either be Dr. Gero's daughter, OR judging by how young she looks, she could be his Granddaughter.

It's possible that Dr. Gero's son had a family before he died, including a daughter. Perhaps, she studied Dr. Gero's work as a child when she was growing up as Gero plotted his revenge against Goku for killing his son and destroying the Red Ribbon Army and maybe she continued his research to avenge her father and grandfather, since Goku was 13 when he destroyed the Red Ribbon Army, let's assume she was a baby at the time, making her about about 12 years younger than Goku. By the time the Cell Games happened, she would have only been a teenager (probably 18 years old). During Dragon Ball Super's currently timeline, she would be 31, this would given her enough experience to learn everything her grandfather knew so that she can turn herself into a Cyborg, the same way he did and extract her revenge.

Speaking of Cyborg though, that is the tricky part of my theory, is she an Android? Or Cyborg? If she is 100% mechanical, she could be just another Android hiding in Dr. Gero's lab (which was allegedly destroyed), it's possible he had 2 kids and she was modeled after his daughter. Or, maybe she did what he did and made a complete mechanical version of her body to have her brain implanted into (but who put her brain in there) or it could be just a translation error like with Android 17 and 18 who are not actually Androids, but Cyborgs.

Let me know what you guys think, I would love to hear your thoughts on this and thank you for reading

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Android 21 Theory

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 am

When first looking at her, call me crazy, but her glasses and white coat make me think she was Dr. Gero's assistant and converted into an Android like 17 and 18 were. Given the numbering she was likely made after Android 20, Gero himself. That would put her in a great position to help his transition to an android go as smoothly as possible. and if my theory is true then the situation may have gone vice versa for her conversion.

MrUnusual

Post by MrUnusual » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 am

KBABZ wrote:When first looking at her, call me crazy, but her glasses and white coat make me think she was Dr. Gero's assistant and converted into an Android like 17 and 18 were. Given the numbering she was likely made after Android 20, Gero himself. That would put her in a great position to help his transition to an android go as smoothly as possible. and if my theory is true then the situation may have gone vice versa for her conversion.
I can agree with that, that sounds like a pretty solid theory

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 pm

She's probably his wife. Ring on her finger, red hair like #16. I mean, seems pretty obvious to me. She's an Artificial Human now so her body doesn't necessarily have to represent her real age.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:She's probably his wife. Ring on her finger, red hair like #16. I mean, seems pretty obvious to me. She's an Artificial Human now so her body doesn't necessarily have to represent her real age.
True as well! It could very easily be both.

...did Dr. Gero have a ring on his finger? It could be a reference to the whole "gold earring" thing that Trunks said apparently makes them so distinctive.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:34 pm

I think the wedding ring is a red herring. And I don't think she's really related to Gero or any of the other Androids. I mean, you wouldn't have guessed that Towa was the sister of Dabra because they look nothing alike, apart from the both of them having pointy ears. I think she's just another case of an android that just somehow manage to run rampant without any detection (i.e Cell, Android 13, Android 14 and Android 15).

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think the wedding ring is a red herring. And I don't think she's really related to Gero or any of the other Androids. I mean, you wouldn't have guessed that Towa was the sister of Dabra because they look nothing alike, apart from the both of them having pointy ears. I think she's just another case of an android that just somehow manage to run rampant without any detection (i.e Cell, Android 13, Android 14 and Android 15).
I don't think a wedding ring would be included in her design so ineffectually. Has to be a reason for it. I'm kind of gunning for the Gero's wife angle as that adds some cool lore to the universe and a few existing characters.

I'm guessing most people are assuming she did a Gero and modified herself into an Android rather than began as one. Although it would be creepy if Gero literally built himself a wife to serve him and I'd also be fine with that. Good job Fighterz for introducing a mysterious new character with relevance to my favourite saga.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:54 pm

nato25 wrote:I don't think a wedding ring would be included in her design so ineffectually. Has to be a reason for it.
I disagree on this considering that tons of characters have had little details included in their designs with no significance shown to us, but are included to flesh out their character. For example, Zarbon's earrings and headdress, or Tien's third eye (for the longest time anyway), or several movie characters. Heck even the earrings worn by Shin and Kibito had no significance until Toriyama decided to utilize them for the Potara fusion later on, right?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Doctor. wrote:She's probably his wife. Ring on her finger, red hair like #16. I mean, seems pretty obvious to me. She's an Artificial Human now so her body doesn't necessarily have to represent her real age.
I assume you're thinking she's a recreation of her younger self after she died? That's probably the best explanation for your idea.
KBABZ wrote:When first looking at her, call me crazy, but her glasses and white coat make me think she was Dr. Gero's assistant and converted into an Android like 17 and 18 were. Given the numbering she was likely made after Android 20, Gero himself. That would put her in a great position to help his transition to an android go as smoothly as possible. and if my theory is true then the situation may have gone vice versa for her conversion.
For some reason I'm imagining she was made into an android without consent if your explanation is correct.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 pm

nato25 wrote:I don't think a wedding ring would be included in her design so ineffectually. Has to be a reason for it.
Well, there's no reason to think it's a wedding ring in the first place. It's not even on the customary finger.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
For some reason I'm imagining she was made into an android without consent if your explanation is correct.
Heh, well that isn't the angle I was going for! If she were Android 20 and Gero were 21 then that would make more sense, but considering Gero would have been the third one in the line that was converted from an existing human (that we know of), if Gero's Assistant had any objections you'd think she would have fled the project long before then. That's why I personally believe that she would have been in full support of it and wanted to join Gero on his path of human advancement through android conversion.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 am

I Google Imaged her. I first thought that she was a new character in Super, but it looks like she comes from the upcoming Dragon Fighter Z. Is that where she's from?

Ah, remember back in the day when kids would call Cell "Android 21?" I mean... they did in my circles.

Anyway, She could be Gero's wife, Gero's daughter, 16's wife, or 16's daughter. I think they should keep the mystery alive for a while before the reveal.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I Google Imaged her. I first thought that she was a new character in Super, but it looks like she comes from the upcoming Dragon Fighter Z. Is that where she's from?

Ah, remember back in the day when kids would call Cell "Android 21?" I mean... they did in my circles.

Anyway, She could be Gero's wife, Gero's daughter, 16's wife, or 16's daughter. I think they should keep the mystery alive for a while before the reveal.
"Dragon Fighter Z"!?!

You just earned a 15 minutes timeout in the corner for that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Hey, let's face it...

We all know what they were going for ;)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Hey, let's face it...

We all know what they were going for ;)
And who inspired the both of them?

:P

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm just saying the font, the idea of a "2D" style fighter... I'm just saying... lol

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Technically mortal combat did not inspire them. I think it was inspired by older fighters from back in the older amiga and prior days. It was rip off of some other fighter games common back then.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001