Times the West pronounced Saiyan correctly

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Times the West pronounced Saiyan correctly

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Didn't know how else to word this, so! I was watching IGN's Up at Noon today, and in their pre-roll they ran an old DBZ ad for action figures, and hey! The narrator pronounces it Sai-ans!

https://youtu.be/Lyev9eVK8aE?t=493

(I also like how "But wait! It's evil Frieza!" implies that Frieza was a good guy beforehand)

Are there any other instances where official media has pronounced Saiyan correctly outside of Japan?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Times the West pronounced Saiyan correctly

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 pm

The trailer for Dragon Ball Z for Kinect pronounces it correctly.

I'm not sure where to watch in the video you posted. The link has a timestamp, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near any Dragon Ball-related content. I watched for about two minutes before finally giving up.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:The trailer for Dragon Ball Z for Kinect pronounces it correctly.

I'm not sure where to watch in the video you posted. The link has a timestamp, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near any Dragon Ball-related content. I watched for about two minutes before finally giving up.
Ugh, they edited the video! It initially had a pre-roll with all the trailers and stuff in it. Sorry about that.

If you want to watch the Dragon Ball segment, it's here. Watch and learn as a bald Italian dump man reacts to Dragon Ball characters he's never seen before!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am

If I recall correctly, Buu uses "Saiya-jin" when Goku is showing off his various forms in front of him.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 am

I remember during interviews with Toriyama, Nozawa and Schemel they would pronounce it as saiyan instead of sayin.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Actually, "west" when interpretated literally includes Europe and Latin America too. Just saying.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 pm

There was a GameTrailers review -- I want to say it was for the first Raging Blast...? -- where they pronounced "Saiyan" correctly and "Frieza" as "Fryza". This was after a couple years of consistently getting pronunciations like "NuhROOdo" wrong, so it was a pretty hilarious other side to things.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 pm

I remember watching a Z Dub Clip where Jeice pronounced it correctly but I am sure it was unintentional.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Bear

Post by Bear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I remember watching a Z Dub Clip where Jeice pronounced it correctly but I am sure it was unintentional.
As an Aussie, I can conform that he said that because of his accent. A's can be pronounced similarly to I's in Australia, which is why saying it as Cyan rolls of the tongue much better than in the dub.
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Speaking of which I think Sai—a-jin sounds awesome but Sai-Yan sounds wierd in English language. I prefer Say-yan if were talking dub and Sai-a-Jin in orginal Japanese. Sai-yan sounds more like a color or shade of neon or a siren to me. Cyan, Sai-yan for example. :)

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 pm

I remember way back in the early days of the G4 channel (probably late 2002 or early 2003) there was an episode of Cheat that gave tips for the first DBZ Budokai game on PS2. The host, Cory Rouse, actually pronounced Saiyan the "proper" way in that episode.

Fairly sure that in subsequent episodes that featured DBZ games he used the dub pronunciation, so presumably someone told him his pronunciation didn't match up with the dub airing on TV.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Bear wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:I remember watching a Z Dub Clip where Jeice pronounced it correctly but I am sure it was unintentional.
As an Aussie, I can conform that he said that because of his accent. A's can be pronounced similarly to I's in Australia, which is why saying it as Cyan rolls of the tongue much better than in the dub.
Yup that was not on purpose by Sabat.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Basically anytime the word "Saiyan" was said in a Cartoon Network or Toonami promo here in the UK the announcer would always pronounce it correctly.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Xeztin wrote:Speaking of which I think Sai—a-jin sounds awesome but Sai-Yan sounds wierd in English language. I prefer Say-yan if were talking dub and Sai-a-Jin in orginal Japanese. Sai-yan sounds more like a color or shade of neon or a siren to me. Cyan, Sai-yan for example. :)
My thoughts exactly!
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"