If both Goku and Vegeta were kids in GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

If both Goku and Vegeta were kids in GT

Post by Xeztin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:58 pm

How would you feel if Vegeta was turned into a child alogside Goku? Would it have made GT a lot better? I’d love to see a child Vegeta with SSJ4. I always felt in GT that Vegeta seemed annoyed his rival had become a child again. I honestly feel like if GT had continued that Vegeta would have wished for his youth to keep up with Goku. The Saiyans keeping their prime in their 80’s were non existant in GT.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If both Goku and Vegeta were kids in GT

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:32 pm

I think it would have changed the tone of the show incredibly, particularly the Baby arc.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

GT would have gotten even more hate then it already did :lol: . I have nothing against the Idea, but a lot of fans would hate it just like with Goku.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:GT would have gotten even more hate then it already did :lol: . I have nothing against the Idea, but a lot of fans would hate it just like with Goku.
As a fan of OG Dragon Ball, Kid Goku and Stephanie Nadolny, I loved this idea.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:13 pm

KBABZ wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:GT would have gotten even more hate then it already did :lol: . I have nothing against the Idea, but a lot of fans would hate it just like with Goku.
That's good but lots of casual fans don't, they see Goku being a child again as reversing his character development even though he has the body of a child with the maturity he's gained in the series thus far. A majority of these fans also greatly prefer adult Son Goku.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:26 pm

I would be more forgiving of GT turning Gokû into a kid if Vegeta was also along for the turned into a kid ride. I like their chemistry, but they barely have any time to share the screen in GT.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
That's good but lots of casual fans don't, they see Goku being a child again as reversing his character development even though he has the body of a child with the maturity he's gained in the series thus far. A majority of these fans also greatly prefer adult Son Goku.
This is one GT complaint I can't get behind, ever. I can get a bunch of other one's but GT completely removing any kind of growth Goku had after Daimao is patently untrue.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
KBABZ wrote: As a fan of OG Dragon Ball, Kid Goku and Stephanie Nadolny, I loved this idea.
This is one GT complaint I can't get behind, ever. I can get a bunch of other one's but GT completely removing any kind of growth Goku had after Daimao is patently untrue.
I agree (aside from the casual nudity in the intro I guess, Goku seemed to have grown out of that). The thing about Goku is that, even as an adult, is that he's still the little boy from the wild and hasn't changed his outlook that much. He plays life by ear and just wants a good fight and some good food. His kid-like behaviour is probably best exemplified in the lead-up to the Cell Games, and when it doesn't initially work everyone around him calls him out for it. Leaving his family behind for Uub also feels very much in-character for Goku; he did as much after the 23rd Tournament, and again after Frieza's defeat, and technically with his sacrifice against Cell too. To not understand that Goku is ultimately still a kid on the inside is to not understand his character at all, and it's likely from this place that we get the usual "Goku's a terrible father" meme.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Hoping Toei got over turning characters back into kids with the Pilaf gang. That was much more acceptable than turning Goku into a kid.

But no I wouldn't want Vegeta turned into a kid either.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 pm

In all honesty, Super reversed the casts growth more so than GT. All GT done was made Goku younger, he was still the same Goku in Z imo. Now if they stripped him of Super Saiyan and his memory or brought out his Saiyan instincts I’d agree. He loved food, loved fights, loved protecting the Earth. That, in my opinion is Goku.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Xeztin wrote:In all honesty, Super reversed the casts growth more so than GT. All GT done was made Goku younger, he was still the same Goku in Z imo. Now if they stripped him of Super Saiyan and his memory or brought out his Saiyan instincts I’d agree. He loved food, loved fights, loved protecting the Earth. That, in my opinion is Goku.
I don't agree with this. There is some humor in Super that doesn't always stay true to the characters (Goku not knowing what kissing is for example) but in general the characters in Super are right where I expect them to be at the end of Buu.

As for not liking Goku being turned back into a child it's just a poor narrative choice for me. Goku may me childlike in some aspects but he is still an adult who has grown from his experiences. A Goku that started out as a child but is now an adult with a grandchild speaks more to me emotionally than a Goku that has to be rewritten to look like a child. You can say appearance doesn't regress a character and that is true enough but it was also a pointless change for me that didn't add anything. For me characters should move forwards not backwards. I love stories that show us how far the characters have gone not stories that bring them back to the past which is essentially what GT turning Goku into a kid did for me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Kinokima wrote:I love stories that show us how far the characters have gone not stories that bring them back to the past which is essentially what GT turning Goku into a kid did for me.
Personally I got this just from seeing Kid Goku use the various Super Saiyan forms!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 am

I'm with the crowd that believes that GT was a very very very good idea that was terribly executed.... And now after all these years, GT gets better and better for me because of Nostalgic reasons. I kind of attribute my logic to this quote from WATCHMEN, “I'm 65 years old. Everyday the future looks a little bit darker. But the past, even the grimy parts of it, well, it just keeps on getting brighter all the time.” - Sally Jupiter
El Conejo Malo

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 am

I agree with one of the above statements that making Goku into a child again (physically) was just a poor narrative choice. It added nothing to the story, and I don't think Vegeta being a child or not would've really swayed my opinion of that particular series.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

I generally liked GT, but having Goku turn into a kid was one thing that I actually didn't like. I guess it's not so much him turning into a kid, but more that he stayed as a kid. It was far-fetched enough, but how in the hell could Vegeta have possibly turned into a kid too? What are the odds? I think that it would be okay as a novelty for the first arc, but it had to be overcome. That's how I feel about kid Goku in GT. It was one thing for the first arc, but he remained a kid for the rest of the series, and it was annoying.

We would never see a kid Goku and kid Vegeta palling around, any more than we'd see Bruce Wayne palling around with kid Dick Grayson. Not only is there an age difference between Goku and Vegeta, but they simply met each other at a later point in their lives.

I think that if there was ever a post-GT project that was green-lit starring Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr., that would be our kid Goku and kid Vegeta story. But I don't think that turning them into kids would be all that great. I generally do not enjoy child protagonists (Dragon Ball was a total exception), so I don't think that I'd get behind that idea.

It could be just because I can't envision it. Maybe if it actually happened and I had no choice but to accept it and watch it as it were, then maybe I'd see something different. But right now, it's really hard for me to picture this in a positive way.

Taingo

Post by Taingo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Nah, I wouldn't have mind seeing both Goku and Vegeta as kids as filler for a couple of episodes, particularly Vegeta. I think that could have been interesting. But not for the WHOLE series. Even if it wasn't the case, sometimes it "felt" like all the progress we made, from this kid being a grown man, had regressed.

The ironic thing is, sometimes when I watch Super, I feel like GT Goku's mentality is a bit more mature than his Super counterpart.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm

I thought Vegeta turn into a kid in GT before I watch the series because I saw a image of Vegeta Jr back in 2001. I was like "Wow Vegeta turns into a little kid too?!?".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:53 pm

If Vegeta was a kid in GT, I would have hated GT even more.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.