How would you have handled the Evil Dragons arc in GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

How would you have handled the Evil Dragons arc in GT?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm

The general consensus on the Evil Dragons arc seems to be that while it was a neat idea, the execution was severely lacking. While I myself don't dislike GT I can definitely agree that the arc wasn't used to its full potential, which is unfortunate given that on paper, having the final villain of the series be created by the Dragon Balls is a great idea. So how do you think it could have been handled better?

For me personally, I think the big problem with the arc was that it just didn't feel grand enough until near the very end. The first several episodes pretty much just followed a monster of the week format with Goku and Pan as the only characters who played any role in the story. There wasn't really the sense that the arc was this big finale to the entire franchise until episode 63, which was the second to last episode of the entire series. It just felt very by the numbers.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How would you have handled the Evil Dragons arc in GT?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 pm

I think an interesting angle would be to have each of the Z Warriors head off to a different planet where an Evil Dragon has appeared and each episode focuses on them and giving them an appropriate final story. Goku+Pan, Krillin+18, Goten+Trunks, Vegeta+Bra, Tien+Chiaotzu and Gohan+Piccolo (although he's in Hell by this point, isn't he?). Once they're all defeated, everyone has to work together to beat Omega Shenron as the final boss. This way, the story is more about the characters involved.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Have each fighter fight their own Shadow Dragon and each Shadow Dragon is related to them. For example have the Uub fight the Three Star Dragon because The Three Star Dragon is born by the wish to erase the memories of Majin Buu and Uub is the human reincarnation of Majin Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:25 pm

I would have made it so each dragon had their own arc or mini arc at least. I thought stuff like that one dragon who gives that fishing town all their fish in order to make them believe she was this sea princess (That was the story right? I don't fully remember) was a really neat story idea that could have been expanded on. Also would have done wonders in making me give a crap about the 1 and 4 star dragons, if they had some kind of story or actual character, instead of each dragon just being the next goal post Goku has to fly through to get to the next one.

They were essentially hunting for the Dragonball again, would have been neat to get a little adventure like the very first arc of Dragonball, but now in a world that is all messed up thanks to these dragons. (And the damage that Super 17 did).
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 pm

I'd have linked the Shadow Dragons to the Black Star Dragon Balls and have each one terrorizing the planet they landed on as opposed to the Earth just blowing up because reasons. Part of the problem with the Shadow Dragon arc is that they talk about the misuse of the Dragon Balls when they weren't used at all in GT until the Shadow Dragons appeared and not for 15+ years in-universe.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 pm

1. Design enemies that actually look like dragons.

2. Not have Goku just go off on his own for the big final adventure; more than any other time, this was the time for a "get the band back together" moment story arc. Everyone being old and ragged would make theme of time passing all the more poignant. And if things are as dire as they're supposed to be, you don't just send one guy out; you put all of your chips on the table.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 am

I'd leave the same originally seen, but changing who faces who among Goku, Vegeta, Pan, Uub, Goten, Trunks and Bra (two against one if necessary).

For the villains, I would give a more dragon look, some would be humanoid probably. Everyone would have elemental based techniques, pretty much like Avatar. Oh, and on top of all, a proper character development and unique personalities.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 am

Grimlock wrote:proper character development and unique personalities.
In GT? Get outta here! :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 am

I'd not have gone the lazy route of making most of them humanoid and human-sized. If we're going to be fighting dragons, let's fight DRAGONS. A battle against a Shenron or Porunga - sized and shaped enemy would be great.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'd not have gone the lazy route of making most of them humanoid and human-sized. If we're going to be fighting dragons, let's fight DRAGONS. A battle against a Shenron or Porunga - sized and shaped enemy would be great.
Would have made a great Shadow of the Colossus-type game too!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

I'd give the majority of them actual Dragon designs.

I'd also have each dragon fought by a team. Goku&Vegeta, Goten&Trunks, Piccolo&Gohan, Tien,Yamcha&Krillin, Androids 17&18, Uub&Buu.

The final dragon would be fought by all of them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 am

Oh and when Pan fights her dragon, she goes Super Saiyan. I mean come on!

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:19 am

With the Dragon Ball’s cracking, the Z-Fighters gather them anyway and attempt to summon Shenron; but instead come face-to-face with Black Smoke Shenron for the first time, who splits off into the seven Shadow Dragons. Now, instead of just Goku taking off initially, this is where you split the gang up. Within the context of the original work, we meet the Shadow Dragon’s beginning with Haze, then Rage, Oceanus, Naturon, Nuova, Eis, and Syn. I believe that the integrity of this order should be maintained, and it allows for a natural difficulty progression.

So with everyone split off, we begin with Goten and Trunks – arguably the best tag team besides #17 and #18 – following the negative ki until they find Haze Shenron. Their battle plays out much the same as when Goku and Pan fought, with the two young Super Saiyan’s eventually slaying the Dragon without the use of the Metamorese Fusion Dance.

The next Shadow Dragon is Rage Shenron, confronted by Majuub who – up until this point – hasn’t really had a decent opportunity to show off his strength and abilities. Rage Shenron’s electric blob likeness fits well against the pink blob that was Majin Buu, with his electricity power a good counter against Majuub’s magic and core strength. A fine battle would transpire, with Majuub eventually gaining the upper hand and defeating Rage.

Having defeated Haze Shenron as a tag team, Goten and Trunks arrive at a fishing village being both assisted and terrorised by Princess Oto – Oceanus Shenron. Beginning the battle individually, Oceanus’ wind and water abilities prove to be too much for them, and they finally manage to fuse into Gotenks. This is a moment that has been building throughout GT until now. We never got it during the first arc as Goten was left on Earth, the second arc had them brainwashed and struggling to keep Goku alive against Baby, and Super #17 stopped them at the last second; so this moment is really gratifying. Destroying Oceanus Shenron with ease (probably using a variation of the Super Ghosts or some kind of Double Buster / Kamehameha combination), Gotenks spends some time with the villagers as the episode comes to a close.

Across the world, however; Gohan, Videl, and Pan are searching for the next Shadow Dragon as a family unit when they discover Naturon Shenron. Now, admittedly, I’m scaling back Naturon’s power here – but for good reason. Gohan, Videl, and Pan fight with all their might against Naturon – with Gohan and Pan fighting as Super Saiyan’s after Videl is knocked down for the count. Much like in the anime, Naturon tricks Pan into being absorbed, and now it is Super Saiyan Gohan vs Naturon Shenron with Pan absorbed. This scenario has more emotional weight to it than the original because it’s the first time we’ve seen these three characters fight together, and it’s an idea that we’ve been building throughout the series. Videl’s down, Pan’s absorbed, and Gohan’s rage forces him to, for the first time since his fight against Piccolo; to transform into a Super Saiyan 2. He saves Pan, destroys Naturon Shenron, and restores the Dragon Ball. With Videl in a near critical condition, Gohan leaves to get her a senzu bean from Korin (who has yet to make a meaningful appearance in GT), and Pan leaves to find Goku.

Now, it’s important to note that until this point, we haven’t seen Goku. He’s been a non-entity as we’ve been building up the rest of the cast – giving them each their moment to shine. We meet Goku as he comes face to face with Nuova Shenron, and the two battle it out, quite similarly to the original anime.

Pan shows up and involves herself (in a mostly losing effort) to Eis Shenron, and the fight plays out much the same as the original.

Goku (as a Super Saiyan 4) is blinded, and just as Syn is about to strike him down, Vegeta shows up and battles the One-Star Shadow Dragon, using all of his power (including Super Saiyan 3). His efforts are wasted, however, when Syn assimilates the remaining six Dragon Ball’s, and Omega Shenron is born.

From here, Goku is still down for the count, so the supporting cast (aside from Gohan and Videl, who are out of action) battle Omega whilst Bulma travels to the battlefield. Goku eventually recovers his eyesight, Vegeta uses the Blutz Wave amplifier to transform into a Super Saiyan 4, and the series plays out the same as the original. Gogeta wastes time as a Super Saiyan 4, Omega is destroyed by a Universal Spirit Bomb, and Goku leaves with Shenron.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 am

The only major change I could say without reservation would improve the arc would be to divvy up the dragons a bit, though I also don't mind the focus on Goku and Pan.

Also let Pan go Super Saiyan for Christ's sake, though that should have happened in the Baby arc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 am

shadowmaria wrote:A fine battle would transpire
I'm sure this is what most fights in GT looked like in the script!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 am

While armchair booking/quarterbacking, whatever you want to call it, is fun, I don't love questions like this nor the answers. There are things I would've preferred to have see, like the other fighters get involved, I don't like how questions like this lead to back patting. We can all be geniuses in our criticisms and our ideas that are superior to Toei's, but ideas are easy. It takes so little effort to post an idea or say we would develop the characters or have better fights, but to actually write the scripts and choreograph and animate those fights is where the skill is.
Also would have done wonders in making me give a crap about the 1 and 4 star dragons, if they had some kind of story or actual character,
The 4 star Dragon does have a character - he might be an evil dragon but he has a sense of honor. He stands out from the crowd.
I'm sure this is what most fights in GT looked like in the script!
You mock, but the description of the sword fight in The Princess Bride between Westley and Inigo was one sentence.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:46 am

Gosh, that arc had potential to be the most interesting of the entire FRANCHISE.... They just dropped the ball on making the first 5 Dragons so insignificant and forgettable... Nouva Shenron was probably the most interesting character of them all, given his very close connection to Goku and his Grandfather. The more I think about it the more upset I get that they dropped the ball so hard on that story line....
El Conejo Malo

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:13 am

Bardo117 wrote:Gosh, that arc had potential to be the most interesting of the entire FRANCHISE.... They just dropped the ball on making the first 5 Dragons so insignificant and forgettable... Nouva Shenron was probably the most interesting character of them all, given his very close connection to Goku and his Grandfather. The more I think about it the more upset I get that they dropped the ball so hard on that story line....
Yeah it should've been brilliant.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I liked the idea, but as usual with GT, the execution needed work. I liked the idea that there were particular things that cracked the Dragon Balls (particular wishes from the past) and think that the dragons should have held grudges. I don't know their names (other than knowing that the kanji for their names is basically numbered one through seven), so I'll kind of wing it.

Let's say for example, that the first Shenlong was created from Oolong wishing for panties. So have that Shenlong seek out Oolong, landing at Roshi's island and tearing up the Kame House, etc. Have that Shenlong tear up the island until Goku (or whomever) comes to stop him. Then let's say that the next Shenlong was created from Kurilin being revived. So he goes off to find Kurilin, trying to kill him. Then we could get a nice #18 fight scene and then someone else can come and fight the Shenlong alongside #18 and Kurilin. You get the idea. I think that it would be poetic justice if the four-star Shenlong was created from Goku being wished back to life, so his target was Goku. I think they should have had a drag-out brawl until it's time to kill Goku and that Shenlong cannot do it, which led to the other Dragon Balls (now freed because the Shenlongs were defeated) to merge with him, creating what would be "Omega" (or whatever his name is) Shenlong.

I think that since there were so many villains in this one little arc, there was so much opportunity to have the other Z Warriors getting some shine. I'm talking Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Piccolo, Vegeta, Oob. I also don't like that the Shenlongs were just kind of doing random stuff; I think they needed an agenda.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm

They just dropped the ball on making the first 5 Dragons so insignificant and forgettable...
Many of them are quite memorable. The first one isn't strong but his sludge and toxins sap people's strength. One of the dragons absorbs Pan and uses that against Goku, and another is a woman or guy, not quite sure, and is really embarrassed by the wish he was created from.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.