But seriously, how did the Falcouner soundtrack even make it to air?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: But seriously, how did the Falcouner soundtrack even make it to air?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't get why people think music in a show would turn off kids when most kids watch these type of shows for the action. If the first Power Rangers season had Zyuranger music, it would still be popular because kids like the fight scenes of the Rangers and Zords.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't get why people think music in a show would turn off kids when most kids watch these type of shows for the action. If the first Power Rangers season had Zyuranger music, it would still be popular because kids like the fight scenes of the Rangers and Zords.
I get your point and agree for the most part, but MMPR was never an adaptation of Super Sentai. It took the footage and used it to craft its own storylines, which were very American. The music fit the tone and feel of that show, which were very much American. I don't think American kids would've had a problem with Super Sentai music, but given how different both shows were, a different score isn't out of place.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 am

ABED wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't get why people think music in a show would turn off kids when most kids watch these type of shows for the action. If the first Power Rangers season had Zyuranger music, it would still be popular because kids like the fight scenes of the Rangers and Zords.
I get your point and agree for the most part, but MMPR was never an adaptation of Super Sentai. It took the footage and used it to craft its own storylines, which were very American. The music fit the tone and feel of that show, which were very much American. I don't think American kids would've had a problem with Super Sentai music, but given how different both shows were, a different score isn't out of place.

The most important note to take here is that kids don't sit down and analyze if the show is American made or Japanese made or if the BGM fits.
El Conejo Malo

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am

Bardo117 wrote:
ABED wrote:

The most important note to take here is that kids don't sit down and analyze if the show is American made or Japanese made or if the BGM fits.
Exactly, so why make a replacement score in the first place?

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 am

Forte224 wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:
ABED wrote: I get your point and agree for the most part, but MMPR was never an adaptation of Super Sentai. It took the footage and used it to craft its own storylines, which were very American. The music fit the tone and feel of that show, which were very much American. I don't think American kids would've had a problem with Super Sentai music, but given how different both shows were, a different score isn't out of place.

Exactly, so why make a replacement score in the first place?

Okay... Let me rephrase.... Kids don't sit there and analyze if the show is American Made or Japanese made, but subconsciously might be put off by the strange music(80's music). Same way kids oddly dislike their parent's 'old music', until they grow up. But who knows, maybe the soundtrack was replaced simply so that FUNI could make more money every time it was used.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 am

Not every kid. I loved 70's rock even as a kid. I also had zero issue with the score from Bruce Lee movies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 am

We're talking about the average person. not isolated cases such as yours. Kids just typically dislike older music. Same with older folk, they seem to dislike newer music.
El Conejo Malo

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 am

Bardo117 wrote:We're talking about the average person. not isolated cases such as yours. Kids just typically dislike older music. Same with older folk, they seem to dislike newer music.
I'm gonna go ahead and say kids would have been totally cool with the Kikuchi soundtrack. Kids, as you said, never really scrutinize soundtracks. We were given tons of old (reallllllly old sometimes) shows growing up including Looney Tunes that were filled with classical music and we never questioned it. It was just part of the show.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 am

I'm not atypical. As Forte points out, plenty of children, even today, are fine with older shows and movies.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 am

It's very rare that I hear that a child will drop a show because of the music. From what I can tell, kids barely notice it. Most everyone I grew up with in school who watched DBZ barely remember the music when I ask them about it. I didn't even remember it until about a decade ago when I decided to really get into the whole series. Even if they do notice it, it's rarely ever a deciding factor. My kid cousins barely notice it and even point out certain tracks from the old score they liked. (The theme song being one of them, of course.)

Dragonball prospered everywhere else around the world and was a hit with kids without changing the music. And it continues to do so. Point is, changing the music was absolutely not necessary for it to be a hit with us kids and Dragonball would have done just fine in the west with the original score. I have no doubts about this.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 am

Gosh, defending FUNImations reasoning behind things get rather difficult after time :lol:
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am

I think kids remember theme songs.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, I'd say that's generally the only music kids really retain from a show. Maybe because there's lyrics?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:56 am

Forte224 wrote:Yes, I'd say that's generally the only music kids really retain from a show. Maybe because there's lyrics?
I don't think it has anything to do with lyrics. Besides, it's all a moot point since most kids saw DBZ on Toonami which didn't air the theme song.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:58 am

Yet they still remembered Rock the Dragon pretty well

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Forte224 wrote:Yet they still remembered Rock the Dragon pretty well
That did air on TV.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Yeah but even the Toonami kids remembered it. Even though it didn't air before every episode it did air when the movies played

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm

To be fair it's not very hard to remember Rock the Dragon. All of the lyrics are in the name.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Yeah but my point was I think kids remember theme songs because it has lyrics and you can sing along and whatnot. Whereas with a show's regular soundtrack they generally don't because its just part of the show and they're focusing on the show not the music

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm

DRAGON DRAGON, ROCK THE DRAGON, DRAGON BALL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That song resonates in my childhood as much as Chala-Head-Chala. That's what I mean, both soundtracks seem to fit and didn't remove anything from the show.
El Conejo Malo