But seriously, how did the Falcouner soundtrack even make it to air?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: But seriously, how did the Falcouner soundtrack even make it to air?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Bardo117 wrote:In that, you are very right. Original Dragonball is just about a kid on a journey to become a better fighter. But Z is literally named after the Z Fighters, who are assembled to fight the threats of the earth.
Please tell me you're not serious. Please tell me you don't actually believe this. Please tell me you're just trying to get a rise out of fans. If so, I have to add this to my personal list of why I think the term "Z-Warrior" was the worst thing the anime did to the franchise. There is just so, so, soooooo much wrong with that statement.

1. You're backwards. The term "zetto senshi" only came into being over a year after the TV adaptation added the Z to its title. The term came from the name of the series, not the other way around.
2. The characters never, never NEVER refer to themselves as "Z-Warriors," which makes sense seeing as how it only comes from the title of their show, which leads me to...
3. The manga Dragon Ball Z is based on has no Z in the title. Ever. In fact, there is nothing related to the letter Z in Dragon Ball until the Z-Sword, at the very, very end. So they are doubly never referred to as Z-Fighters in the manga, be it in-universe or out-of-universe.
4. I am probably slightly more accepting of the "assembling to fight the threats of the earth" rationale than a lot of people here. I believe there are times they do that. But that's certainly not why they initially assembled, and it's certainly not the main thing that keeps them together. And they are certainly not remotely comparable to the Justice League or the Avengers.
5. For whatever reason, they were already firmly established as "assembled" long before Z happened. So, in your version of events, would they have called themselves by that name during the Piccolo Arc? Or did they get together and come up with the name later? Where did they come up with their name? Were Goku and company watching Dragon Ball Z on TV? When GT started did they change their name to the GT-Warriors?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Stop trying to bring Dragon ball out of what is truly is, a children's cartoon. Of course it's about the good guys saving the day, it always has been and always will be. New threat arrives, and the Z fighters defend the earth. They're literally Avengers, the best fighters in the world assembled into a team.
No, they are not, and why would you want them to be?
That's part of what makes Dragon Ball so special. Like Marvel and DC it has global appeal, but it has its own distinct feel being set in rural Asia and depicting martial artists who strive to surpass their limits. Yes they save innocent people, but that's not the driving force behind why they love to fight, they do it for the love of the sport (especially Goku). They are nothing like American superheroes at all. And being a kid's show does not mean Dragon Ball cannot have that distinction.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Bardo117, it's fine that you have misconceptions of the story. It can feel embarassing to be off the mark, but it can be fun to learn you were wrong and find out the truth. I used to believe DB was a superhero show, and couldn't rectify certain moments like the ethics of letting the Cyborgs be created. Hell, even after watching the original, I couldn't put two and two together. Then I joined this forum and I finally realized what I was missing. Goku isn't a superhero and was never meant to be.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
ABED wrote:It would be interesting to see the Venn diagram of people who prefer the Faulconer score and those who don't understand that DB isn't a superhero show about characters out to save the day.

Stop trying to bring Dragon ball out of what is truly is, a children's cartoon. Of course it's about the good guys saving the day, it always has been and always will be. New threat arrives, and the Z fighters defend the earth. They're literally Avengers, the best fighters in the world assembled into a team.
They eventually stop threats, but it's not exactly their goal.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Christ this thread.
Bardo117 wrote:Why is everybody so hesitant to call this a superhero type story or admit that its targeted demographic age is 12-17 years old?
Never mind the fact that this sentence is basically saying that superhero stories and young age demographics are innate and inexorably go together (as if a children's show can't NOT be a superhero story, or a superhero story can't also NOT be for children). What I love is that it even gets wrong and wildly overshoots Dragon Ball's actual Japanese age demographic by at least double. Most all Weekly Shonen Jump manga and anime, Dragon Ball/Z included, are aimed at an audience generally aged 5-12 years old. Maybe 13 at most. 15/16/17 is well above and outside of most Shonen's usual age range.
Bardo117 wrote:They saved earth from the Saiyans, the Galaxy from Freeza, the planet from Cell, and the Universe from Buu. Not because they were looking for a good fight but because evil invaded earth, and if Goku doesn't do it, WHO WILL?!?!
1) They were trying to save largely themselves from the Saiya-jin. Piccolo is particularly adamant about his own selfish reasons for wanting to protect his own ass from getting wiped out along with the rest of the planet. The rest of the group trained to defend themselves and their homes/loved ones, as well as to further push their own skills as martial artists. The idea of "saving the world for saving the world's sake" is something that almost never comes up the whole arc.

2) Same with Freeza. Gohan, Kuririn, and Bulma set off to Namek to revive their friends who were killed by Nappa. That's the heroes' ENTIRE goal of the story: getting back their friends who were killed. Its a 100% personal journey. At NO point do they up and decide "we gotta protect the galaxy from Freeza and his men" and set out to do so. The entire Freeza arc the main characters spend hiding, running for their lives, and playing cat and mouse games for the Dragon Balls not to protect the planet or to save the universe, but just to get their friends back.

When they finally do have a conclusive showdown with Freeza, for Gohan and Kuririn its about purely survival from the attacks of a lunatic that they've pissed off. For Vegeta its about grabbing power for himself, since at this point he's still essentially a bad guy. And for Goku its at about once again testing his strength and skills against a worthy opponent: but then it gets more personal and becomes purely about revenge. For the innocent people that Freeza killed on Namek at first, and then for Kuririn.

3) The only person who gives a rat's ass about "saving the world" this entire arc is Future Trunks. And even then I wouldn't classify him as a "superhero" per se, as he isn't someone who has dedicated his entire life to saving the world and protecting it. He's mainly trying to stop this one cataclysmic event from happening that has made his future a hellhole and taken his family from him. He's very much akin to a typical sci fi/action movie hero like Kyle Reese from Terminator (and even then still with a lot of martial arts hero elements thrown in, like wanting to get revenge for his slain master). Everyone else who isn't Trunks though? Martial artists itching to use this opportunity to test and push their strength and skills.

One of the biggest mistakes that everyone makes about the Cell arc is when they complain about how "stupid" a lot of the characters act throughout. Because people come into this arc with the misconception that Dragon Ball Z is a superhero show and that these characters are superheroes out to defend the planet, and are failing laughably at that goal. When that's NEVER been the case. Ever. At all. This is made explicitly plain, for the 90 billionth time, at the very start of the Artificial Humans/Cell arc when Goku and the whole group dismisses Bulma's VERY pragmatic and excellent idea of destroying Gero's lab right then and there before he has time to finish making the Jinzoningen.

Because none of them have dedicated their lives to protecting the planet nor is that ever a thought that has ever driven any of them at any point in any of these stories. From the very beginning, these guys are mystical kung fu masters who have dedicated their lives to training their skills and competition. And they see an opportunity here to pit their still growing skills against an even greater foe than Freeza or anything else they've faced prior. Its the same with Cell. Cell as a villain is driven by the same ideas and goals as any other martial arts fiction character (testing and growing his strength) he just goes about it through horrific methods that endangers the entire world. And even then, Goku and most of the others want to fight him mainly to push themselves as warriors, with the fate of the world being almost an afterthought at times.

The Cell arc isn't a superhero story about protecting the world: it starts out a mish mash of a martial arts revenge narrative blended with Terminator/B movie-esque sci fi which then gives way to another martial arts tournament about the characters pitting their skills against one another (only where the villain is using the threat of blowing up the world as a bargaining chip/added incentive). When you understand that, the characters action and motivations make TONS more sense, relatively speaking.

4) Again with Boo. Goku and the group begin the arc totally cavalier about the threat that Boo represents and see it as an opportunity for sport, even as Kaioshin, and upper deity, is maddeningly trying to warn them all of the gravity of the situation they face. Goku even takes this as an opportunity to further train Goten and Trunks to be better fighters rather than simply ending the conflict early himself. It isn't until Boo has destroyed the Earth and just about everyone on it, and is about to go on a rampage and wipe out all of existence itself that Goku and Vegeta, for perhaps the first time in the entire series, begin to take the idea of "saving the universe" even remotely seriously. But only when the very existence of all reality as we know it is on the knife's edge of being snuffed out by a feral, god slaying, pink bubblegum demon.

The one time a "real" superhero character EVER appears in Dragon Ball (besides of course the almighty Suppaman from Dr. Slump)? The Great Saiyaman. And he's basically a short lived joke character meant to kill time in between story arcs. Who's also a riff more on Japanese superheroes (Henshin/Toku types like Kamen Rider) rather than Western Marvel/DC ones.

The funny thing is, the painfully, painfully rare times that Dragon Ball EVER actually deals with "real" superhero character types, they're almost ALWAYS treated as stupid gags or jokes. Never taken remotely as seriously as the martial arts characters often are (and who aren't of course immune to having the piss taken from them themselves).

Comparing this series and these characters to the fucking Avengers? Jesus. I mean... no. What, are we gonna next throw Wukong and his group next to the Teen Titans? Or the bandit clans of The Water Margin as comparable to the Guardians of the Galaxy? Linghu Chong as a spiritual counterpart to Squirrel Girl? I mean what, they both have superpowers and they're happy a lot! Same exact thing, right?

Note: NONE OF THIS means that Dragon Ball is somehow NOT a kids' manga/anime. Not only is it for kids, its for kids even YOUNGER than a lot of U.S. fans seem to think it is (its often seen as more a teen/young adult sort of deal by a lot of FUNimation fans, when its much more in the elementary school range).

No one, least of all myself, is arguing that because Dragon Ball is a wuxia/martial arts narrative that that means it is somehow "not for kids". Who ever said you CAN'T make a Wuxia story for kids? Its been done countless times decades long before Dragon Ball. Fist of the North Star is, believe it or not, aimed at the exact same 5-12 demographic that DB was (seriously, it was) and predates it by a fair bit. Christ, even in the U.S. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are not only children's wuxia cartoons, they're aired on goddamned Nickelodeon.

To put for the idea the "kids cartoon must therefore = superhero" is the epitome of asinine. Few people on this forum hold as much disdain for the vast majority of children's media as I do, and even I give children's media much more credit than to think that they're somehow not capable of tackling more genres (or at the very least the facsimile of different genres) than mainly superheroes.
Bardo117 wrote:There's some real rock influenced, Depeche Mode/Radiohead/Experimental type music in there (Faulconer) that is actually a good listen.
Somewhere out there, there are legions of Depeche Mode and Radiohead fans who would absolutely weep at this kind of comparison being made. Lets not get it twisted: those are REAL legit bands and musicians (titanically important, and culturally seismic ones at that) who have made some of the most influential and boundary pushing popular music of the 80s and 90s respectively.

Bruce Faulconer, by contrast, is a complete nobody who was hired to haphazardly scrape together, on the fly and on the cheap, a bunch of synthetic noise (that in NO WAY sounds the LEAST bit contemporary to what was big musically in the late 90s and early 2000s: anyone who makes that claim is someone who did not pay the slightest bit of attention to actual music and music trends during that time) to constantly fill dead air on a repackaging of a decade-old children's anime because the neophyte company who employed him were under the belief that their audience were a bunch of ADHD-addled simpletons who couldn't pay attention to something that didn't constantly jingle car keys and make shouting noises up in their face at all times.

Faulconer is cheaply slapped together audio filler intended for what was seen and treated as a cheap, cash grab of a children's cartoon property. It is no more comparable to fucking Radiohead and Depeche Mode (good Christ) than those bands are to the BGM for random bullshit like Biker Mice From Mars or Mighty Max or whatever the fuck along those lines.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Why is everybody so hesitant to call this a superhero type story or admit that its targeted demographic age is 12-17 years old?
12-17 years old is too high for Dragon Ball. I say 4-13 is the age limit since the series is aim to the same type of kids in Japan that watch One Piece, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. I would imagine most people would grow out of Dragon Ball sometime in High School.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 pm

ABED wrote:Bardo117, it's fine that you have misconceptions of the story. It can feel embarassing to be off the mark, but it can be fun to learn you were wrong and find out the truth. I used to believe DB was a superhero show, and couldn't rectify certain moments like the ethics of letting the Cyborgs be created. Hell, even after watching the original, I couldn't put two and two together. Then I joined this forum and I finally realized what I was missing. Goku isn't a superhero and was never meant to be.
You guys are 100% right... I was unaware that the term Z warriors was never used in the Manga. Which curiously enough, I knew beforehand that the letter Z was never added to the manga series title, but I did not connect the dot... It was a term invented by the manga, causing my misconception that the series is called DBZ because of the Z Warriors.

I learned a lot today, and its funny to still learn after almost a decade on this forum haha
Kunzait_83 wrote:Christ this thread.

<Snip>
I can agree with you on almost every one of your points, except I just need to clarify the Depeche Mode/ Radiohead comment. I said 'it's the same type of music', and that doesn't necessarily mean it's on the same level. AT ALL. The Use of a high amount of experimental sounds and computer created sounds along with hand played instruments is pretty much what Falcouner does, just on a much simpler term.

As for the demographic comparison, I stretched it out to 17 because it currently airs on Adult Swim, which has an older target demographic(which also exceed 17 year olds)

AS for the saving the world comment, it was a reference to the Wrath of The Dragon movie.
El Conejo Malo

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 am

I might just have horrible musical taste, but I really liked the Falconer soundtrack.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:34 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I might just have horrible musical taste, but I really liked the Falconer soundtrack.
No, you don't. You just like what you like.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I might just have horrible musical taste, but I really liked the Falconer soundtrack.
Which is really the answer to any music question like this. People like what they like, having more members in the band with lots of instruments isn't a guarantee that more people will like it. And sales seem to show that a lot of people agree, look up the best selling bands and you will see that they are mostly your typical band of a couple of guitars, bass guitar, drums, piano a singer or two and then maybe some other instruments sometimes. Now those are regular instruments and not synth but still the point is people just like what they like. Or they just like what their told to like by mass media and of course sells doesn't automatically mean music is good or bad but then you just get into a lot of opinion....so yeah I'm just going with people like what they like.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 am

dario03 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Which is really the answer to any music question like this. People like what they like, having more members in the band with lots of instruments isn't a guarantee that more people will like it. And sales seem to show that a lot of people agree, look up the best selling bands and you will see that they are mostly your typical band of a couple of guitars, bass guitar, drums, piano a singer or two and then maybe some other instruments sometimes. Now those are regular instruments and not synth but still the point is people just like what they like. Or they just like what their told to like by mass media and of course sells doesn't automatically mean music is good or bad but then you just get into a lot of opinion....so yeah I'm just going with people like what they like.
I don't see how this is relevant to the issue of a film or TV score.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 am

ABED wrote:
dario03 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: No, you don't. You just like what you like.
I don't see how this is relevant to the issue of a film or TV score.
Because its music.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:57 am

But that's so broad. I dont' see how it matters in this discussion. Yeah, bands might be more popular than symphonies at this point. That doesn't mean there should be the score of a TV show. I don't know what you are trying to point out here.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am

All he's trying to say that music is a funny thing. It can be extremely simplistic, and be praised for its minimal approach. Or it can be complex, and full of strange instrument combinations/sound uses and be praised for its complexity. At the same time, that same simple or complex music can be criticized and disliked by another group. You never can never say with certainty if a certain piece of music is bad because there usually is at least one person who likes it. It's all personal taste.

In the case of his comment above, the fact that we like Falcouners music even though there's people here that are highly critical of it proves his point.
El Conejo Malo

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am

ABED wrote:But that's so broad. I dont' see how it matters in this discussion. Yeah, bands might be more popular than symphonies at this point. That doesn't mean there should be the score of a TV show. I don't know what you are trying to point out here.
Its in the quotes. Guy said he must have bad taste in music because he likes the soundtrack. Other guy said no he just likes what he likes. Which is what I expanded on.
Or if you want to go back further, people have used the full band of instruments of the original vs the synth of Falcouner as a reason the original is better. But for individual tastes its only better if you actually like that music better. If you don't like it, you don't like it, doesn't matter how many instruments or complex it is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:39 am

Maybe some said that's a reason why they enjoy it, but I think what they were going for was more that an instrumental score better fits DB's aesthetic.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 am

I would argue that Dragon ball is far more successful here than it is in Japan, judging off of population numbers. Maybe that isn't the case, but I'm sure they get most of their revenue from FUNImation. Not that they NEED FUNI, but just saying.
Last edited by Bardo117 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:59 am

Are you implying the Faulconer score is a big reason for that success?

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm

ABED wrote:Are you implying the Faulconer score is a big reason for that success?

Oh no, just a far off comment. All Falcouner did was do his part in establishing the way almost every single American remembers Dragon ball Z, and that's as a hardcore awesome fighting cartoon. Like it or not the music is part of that memory we hold. Just because I know that the Japanese BGM is much better still doesn't change the fact that I remember the awesomeness and epicness of when it aired on Toonami.

I had previously watched DBZ in its entirety in the Latin American Dub, which includes the original BGM. But watching it with the new music and voice acting was a whole different ride. Tone changed a lot with all the tweaks they did.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:07 pm

The show was already a success before he was ever brought on board. That's what gets lost in this. People forget that there was another cast and it was still popular. And while I agree that it's an awesome fighting cartoon, it's also quirky and funny. That also gets lost in his music. You would've remembered the show as being awesome if they stayed with the Ocean Group or even kept the original music.