Sigh... Any news on Funi dubbing the DB specials?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Sigh... Any news on Funi dubbing the DB specials?

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:27 am

I think this is my third time this year making a post about this, but yeah - What are the chances now that Battle of Gods, Resurrection 'F', and Super have been dubbed? I know VegettoEX has already covered this topic in great detail by mentioning the different studios thing - so bringing it up again my be an annoyance, but has anything changed since then? So far, all the news I've had to go by has been things I've (for the most part) have already brought up in my previous posts:

1. France is apparently releasing Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans dubbed in January 2018 (https://video.fnac.com/a9876124/Dragon- ... wa-Blu-Ray), but this could change as it already has several times. However, if France has access to the specials - It could only mean Funimation should have access as well. After all, France got Kai's Buu Saga first and then the U.S got it so it makes sense.

2. Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel spoke of the specials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTPoV-CZ5Y), particularly Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return. They suggested budget and time issues might have prevented dub versions of the specials. Sabat stated that Tarble would most likely get recast due to Jaco now being voiced by Todd Haberkorn, who provided the voice for Tarble in Raging Blast 2.

So, pretty much nothing has changed regarding a possible dub of these specials except the fact that Dragon Ball has had a significant revival recently in Japan and internationally with the movies and Super, which increases the chances of a dub for the specials. Not to mention, Resurrection 'F' got an Extended Edition - which could get dubbed along with the specials. Still, does anyone else have any new info on the specials besides what has already been stated or not? I apologize for asking again, I'm just curious. I guess I should just be more patient, but it just sucks that BoG and RF got dubs so quickly but not the specials as far back as '08.

And on a non-related note, I'm still waiting on a possible Yu Yu Hakusho: Poltergeist Report dub? I'm probably wasting my time with all of this, though.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Sigh... Any news on Funi dubbing the DB specials?

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 am

I do hope they get around to it someday, just because the '08 JUMP special is so good.

There's definitely enough for a tidy little "Dragon Ball: The Specials" release at this point.

It is something that would serve a smaller audience than, say, the Super dub, but hey -- slap a "Z" logo on there and see how it does. Pander to me, baby.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 am

mecha3000 wrote:Sabat stated that Tarble would most likely get recast due to Jaco now being voiced by Todd Haberkorn, who provided the voice for Tarble in Raging Blast 2.
And we all know how much Sabat hates having one person voice multiple characters 8)

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 am

I just want those three on Blu-ray.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am

I think we'll eventually get them but I wouldn't expect them anytime soon if I were you. They're busy with Super and we'll probably be getting another movie soon so that'll all take priority over them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 am

We're all still waiting for something.... I'm still waiting on the DB/GT Dragonboxes....
El Conejo Malo

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 pm

I don't think any of the specials will be dubbed. FUNimation has too much on their plate right now with Super and many other anime. As much as I would love for the 2008 special to be dubbed, I don't think FUNimation will bother with it.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Amid this new series being released, I don't feel Dragonball popularity in the states is picking up... I haven't heard of that many people watching back over here.
El Conejo Malo

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm

I think the ship has sailed a long time ago. Maybe in 2009-2013, I think it would have been cool. Now with Super out, I don't think anyone really cares.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Alternately: I wish FUNimation would learn to love the idea of niche subtitle-only releases, because the only thing I really want is for the specials (well, the good one) to be available on some kind of officIal home media.

The "dub or bust" mentality from the company has always struck me as being a little strange, outside of maybe giving it a certain identity.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 pm

They DID do a subbed release for a show called "As long as there is love I can fuck my brother!". No really. I pity the poor translator that had to sub THAT. Not fansubbers since they translate it one handed if you catch my drift.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Given the chronology, it would have been a cool thing to chuck onto the first Super Season set, but that was ages ago.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 am

I think Funi will release them eventually. We may need to wait until TOEI starts to pull the breaks on Super and most of the profit from that series will be in the bag though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:26 am

OVA's seem apparently a lot harder to license (it took FUNi 3 re-releases of "The Future Diary" to finally get the OVA for example) and with JSAT OVA I don't think Toei even owns it but Shueisha directly which makes sense given it's Jump related. The JSAT special hasn't been licensed anywhere to my knowledge, doesn't look like it will.
Cipher wrote:Alternately: I wish FUNimation would learn to love the idea of niche subtitle-only releases, because the only thing I really want is for the specials (well, the good one) to be available on some kind of officIal home media.

The "dub or bust" mentality from the company has always struck me as being a little strange, outside of maybe giving it a certain identity.
They've actually released a fair few shows subbed only as Cure said there was that weird incest one and more recently they released a show called "Rainbow Days" subbed only on BD. However with DB I can't see them releasing anything undubbed.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 am

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on Rainbow Days and the brother-fucking show.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Cipher wrote:Please forgive my lack of knowledge on Rainbow Days and the brother-fucking show.
I knew Cipher's post would make my day. They always do! :mrgreen:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:OVA's seem apparently a lot harder to license (it took FUNi 3 re-releases of "The Future Diary" to finally get the OVA for example) and with JSAT OVA I don't think Toei even owns it but Shueisha directly which makes sense given it's Jump related. The JSAT special hasn't been licensed anywhere to my knowledge, doesn't look like it will.
Cipher wrote:Alternately: I wish FUNimation would learn to love the idea of niche subtitle-only releases, because the only thing I really want is for the specials (well, the good one) to be available on some kind of officIal home media.

They've actually released a fair few shows subbed only as Cure said there was that weird incest one and more recently they released a show called "Rainbow Days" subbed only on BD. However with DB I can't see them releasing anything undubbed.
They also did a sub-only release for a yaoi-esque/bl show. Don't know the name, and as that kind of show isn't my cup of tea, don't care, but they did release it.

But yeah, something about some of those ovas, as they haven't released the Fairy Tail ones, and I once asked about the Negima ones that at one time were going to have a lot of recasts, but they said there were no plans for it at that time, and it's been a few years since then.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 am

Super Sonic wrote: They also did a sub-only release for a yaoi-esque/bl show. Don't know the name, and as that kind of show isn't my cup of tea, don't care, but they did release it.

But yeah, something about some of those ovas, as they haven't released the Fairy Tail ones, and I once asked about the Negima ones that at one time were going to have a lot of recasts, but they said there were no plans for it at that time, and it's been a few years since then.
I think it might be a cost thing, perhaps OVAs are too expensive to license and FUNi know they won't sell enough which is probably why when FUNi do get OVAs for shows it seems to usually be bundled with the series, like the example I gave about Future Diary they released it first DVD only then some years later on BD and next month again on BD but this time with the OVA instead of just releasing the OVA separately they've bundled it in with the series.
Maybe they could release some OVAs as an extra on some DBS releases as those are doing really well for FUNi if they don't want to take the risks of releasing them separately same for FT (maybe that's why the last part of S2 is taking forever to release).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Heard on the thing with Future Diary. And I recently bought that on blu-ray and hearing of that has me partially wishing I waited rather than getting it from the rightstuf sale I did last year. Though now could skip getting Mr. Grelle to sign it.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 am

Alright, we're apparently about a month away (https://video.fnac.com/a9876124/Dragon- ... wa-Blu-Ray) now from the French release of the specials - but they've pushed it back like THREE TIMES so there's no way of knowing if this is happening for sure. If it does, however, become a reality - We could potentially see a Funimation release either in late 2018 or 2019 because France got Kai's Buu Saga before we did (I know I've probably brought this up before) and then Funimation released it.

Even though the specials are old and Super's all the rage now, I don't see the harm in releasing more DB material in this new age of Dragon Ball. With DBS out, this just means more exposure for the other Dragon Ball releases like the old days how we would get the Z episodes on home video along with the movies steadily being dubbed (which is ironic because if the 2008 special is dubbed, it would be similar to how long the movies used to take to get dubbed back in the day). I've also always wanted to see the 2008 special dubbed even as far back as when I was still pretty young so having them FINALLY completed would be a childhood dream come true.

Also, NOT EVERY FUNIMATION DB RELEASE HAS TO BE SUPER NOWADAYS. Hell, I'm still hopin' for an eventual Dragon Ball, GT, and the Movies Dragon Boxes (but mostly Dragon Ball) and maybe even reissues of the Dragon Boxes. When I was a teen, I didn't see the value in the boxes over Kai - but now that I'm older, I regret that. But back to the main topic, DUBBED SPECIALS!!!