Sigh... Any news on Funi dubbing the DB specials?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Sigh... Any news on Funi dubbing the DB specials?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 am

I bet we will see them soon!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 am

for the french release it is blocked cause of the fukkatsu no f extended edition right as it wasn't supposed to be seen outside of japanese tv kaze (french editor) are in negotiation about this extended edition that's only why this box isn't released yet... it's not caused of the specials

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I bet we will see them soon!
I bet we won't be seeing them anytime soon!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 am

I'm surprised Funimation didn't jump all over this cash-grab by now. It is Dragon Ball, after all. The thing about waiting so long is that I'm assuming that lots of fans are like me and have already seen it without Funimation, so it doesn't really mean much. Now, I'd still buy it, but that's because I'm a poor, sick collector who can't pass it up, but it would never interest me (kind of like their redub of the first DB movie). So if I weren't crazy and bought things just for the DB label, they wouldn't make any money off of me for those releases.

In the very least, just throw the Japanese version on Funimatiom Now.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:53 pm

sangofe wrote:
Not that I disagree but is this really necessary?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 pm

I think the dub just isn't popular enough to warrant dubbing stuff outside the main series anymore. Most fans are now watching Super subbed online, many peoples first exposure to the Japanese version is through Super.

People aren't going to wait a year just to see dubbed versions of old episodes when Japan will be 2 sagas ahead. Same for old specials.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Not that I disagree but is this really necessary?
Is your post necessary? Is cure's post necessary? Is my post necessary? Is it necessary to post your opinion on a message board? No, but we have a right doing so.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'm surprised Funimation didn't jump all over this cash-grab by now. It is Dragon Ball, after all. The thing about waiting so long is that I'm assuming that lots of fans are like me and have already seen it without Funimation, so it doesn't really mean much. Now, I'd still buy it, but that's because I'm a poor, sick collector who can't pass it up, but it would never interest me (kind of like their redub of the first DB movie). So if I weren't crazy and bought things just for the DB label, they wouldn't make any money off of me for those releases.

In the very least, just throw the Japanese version on Funimatiom Now.
I remember reading that Shueisha owns the 2008 Jump Special and Episode of Bardock and not Toei. Strange to think that nearly 10 years later, we still don't have Son Goku and his Friends Return. I don't think the 2008 Jump Special is nothing that great and I can live without it. However some people do like it and it would be cool to have a home video release for it in the US.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:36 am

I didn't care much for them, but as a collector of Dragon Ball merch, it would be nice to actually have the real deal.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:18 am

precita wrote:I think the dub just isn't popular enough to warrant dubbing stuff outside the main series anymore. Most fans are now watching Super subbed online, many peoples first exposure to the Japanese version is through Super.

People aren't going to wait a year just to see dubbed versions of old episodes when Japan will be 2 sagas ahead. Same for old specials.
Then explain why the first two parts of DBS, the retellings, which went on sale from this July (well after the Japanese) sold exceptionally well, (Part 1 had day one sell outs in some places)? Explain why the ratings for the dub are good?