Best Fight Choreography Across the Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Best Fight Choreography Across the Series?

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I think this Epic scene from DBZ was totally butchered in Kai and I am mainly talking about the hype for the First Punch that Gokū hits vegeta with and how in Original there are flashes off it but in Kai its all rushed.
Yeah, I always disliked how the Kai version of that scene cut out all the build up to that first punch. It's just way too quick.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Fair point. Kai's editing issues were at their worst in the Saiyan arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
ABED wrote: How do you know what the storyboarding was like?

It's been a while since I saw the scenes in Kai, but how was it butchered?
Usually when referring to storyboarding in animation (at least from what I've seen in these forums) I'm referring to camera angles, character positions and framing to make something seem more interesting. I guess direction would've been a more appropriate word. I wish I had the storyboard for this scene. :lol:

And Buu Kai had this bad habit of editing action scenes to make them seem really fast, which lessened the impact of a lot of fights. The editing especially hurt here because the fight originally had an emphasis on slo mo. See for yourself.
I think this Epic scene from DBZ was totally butchered in Kai and I am mainly talking about the hype for the First Punch that Gokū hits vegeta with and how in Original there are flashes off it but in Kai its all rushed.
I have to agree on this one. It seemed unnecessary to take out.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:21 am

My favorite fight in terms of choreography is Goku vs Piccolo at the 23rd BT. The fight is intense, breath-taking and every single blow feels powerful and painful.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Since pretty much everything great has been mentioned, I'd love to mention the little fight between Trunks and Tenshinhan in movie 9. That whole movie had some of the more interesting bits of choreography the movies had to offer.

All time favorite selections are probably from movie 1.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:01 pm

The best choreography has to be Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs Buu and the whole Janemba vs Goku especially this part.

Some other movies algo brought some great choreography, such as Movie 2; Majin Vegeta vs Super Saiyan 2 Goku; most of Goku Black fights are honorable mentions.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~